[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buddhamsaranam gacchāmiDhammamsaranam gacchāmiSanghamsaranam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 18
File: 6035_3818_1k.jpg (202 KB, 754x768) Image search: [Google]
6035_3818_1k.jpg
202 KB, 754x768
The world would be peaceful if everyone was Buddhist.
>>
>>420489
I agree.
>>
http://time.com/2888864/rohingya-myanmar-burma-camps-sittwe/
>>
>>420495
That isnt religiously motivated
>>
>>420503
Religion isn't religiously motivated
>>
>>420495
That's a ethnic conflict dispute what the Western Media says. It's Nationalism mate
>>
>tibet
>>
>>420536
Went from a steppe warring kingdom to a relatively docile kingdom
>>
>>420495

Why should a buddhist country become muslim?`Let the buddhists kick those invaders out.

Im pro Wirathu.
>>
>>420544
I agree they should kick them out but they should do it in the name of nationalism. Attacking people makes you Muslim tier.
>>
File: rss.jpg (8 KB, 232x182) Image search: [Google]
rss.jpg
8 KB, 232x182
>>420489

>Sangham saranam gacchāmi

100% agree
>>
>>420489
Is that why Buddhists throughout history are so fond of caste societies, theocracy, warfare, genocide, etc.?
>b-b-but everyone but ME understands boodhism
Fuck off.
>>
>>420489

Peace is a forced meme
>>
>>420580
Because people keep coming and trying to fuck up the Buddhists for whatever reason.

If you'd just not go try to get involved in the first place, they wouldn't have to genocide you out.

Also
>Caste System
>Buddhist

You're dumb.
>>
>>420489
>The world would be peaceful if everyone was Buddhist.
Because there'd only be one religion to believe Siddhārtha, this argument can be made for any ideology
>>
File: 1287629001175.jpg (38 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1287629001175.jpg
38 KB, 200x150
>>420503
>>420519
>buddhists persecuting muslims because of buddhists are afraid muslims taking over buddhist culture, despite muslims making up 4% of the population
Same is true for Christians btw but to a lesser degree
>>
>>420589
Technically any social divide is a class system.

>monk class
>lay class

Buddhist system works on top of traditional model of civilization the best.
>>
>>420589
>Because people keep coming and trying to fuck up the Buddhists for whatever reason.
>If you'd just not go try to get involved in the first place, they wouldn't have to genocide you out.
1) >you
2) Even if what you say is valid it doesn't change that the meme of Buddhists being "peaceful" is, exactly that, a meme.
Also
>Buddhists
>Not enforcing their own caste systems wherever they go
THE MEME INTENSIFIES
>>
>>420595
If you don't know, its not all muslims wanting to take over buddhist land, its just the militant ones. They waged couple of jihads against Burma a while ago but the military junta kept them down. The tension was in making since the brits brought in the bengal/indian workers before independence.
>>
>>420595
Christianity doesn't come bundled with a culture like Islam does with Arab culture.
Quran is the word of allah, pure only in arabic and any translation is inaccurate.
Similar elements are not found in Christianity, which is adapts to the local culture, making it more insidious but getting less backlash
>>
>>420606
>prisoners of a society
Name one country that doesn't have prisoners.
>>
>>420595
Killing Mohammedans is the straight way to heaven.
>>
File: 1433125940773.png (102 KB, 1821x1054) Image search: [Google]
1433125940773.png
102 KB, 1821x1054
>>420489
>Majjhima Nikāya 64
>The Greater Discourse to Mālunkyāputta
>
>Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was living at Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s Park. There he addressed the bhikkhus thus: “Bhikkhus.”—“Venerable sir,” they replied. The Blessed One said this:
>
>“Bhikkhus, do you remember the five lower fetters as taught by me?”
>
>When this was said, the venerable Mālunkyāputta replied: “Venerable sir, I remember the five lower fetters as taught by the Blessed One.”
>
>“But, Mālunkyāputta, in what way do you remember the five lower fetters as taught by me?”
>
>“Venerable sir, I remember identity view as a lower fetter taught by the Blessed One. I remember doubt as a lower fetter taught by the Blessed One. I remember adherence to rules and observances as a lower fetter taught by the Blessed One. I remember sensual desire as a lower fetter taught by the Blessed One. I remember ill will as a lower fetter taught by the Blessed One. It is in this way, venerable sir, that I remember the five lower fetters as taught by the Blessed One.”
>
>>
File: 1428579088566.png (108 KB, 1851x1053) Image search: [Google]
1428579088566.png
108 KB, 1851x1053
>>420702
>“Mālunkyāputta, to whom do you remember my having taught these five lower fetters in that way? Would not the wanderers of other sects confute you with the simile of the infant? For a young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘identity,’ so how could identity view arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to identity view lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘teachings,’ so how could doubt about the teachings arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to doubt lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘rules,’ so how could adherence to rules and observances arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to adhere to rules and observances lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘sensual pleasures,’ so how could sensual desire arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to sensual lust lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘beings,’ so how could ill will towards beings arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to ill will lies within him. Would not the wanderers of other sects confute you with this simile of the infant?”
>
>Thereupon, the venerable Ānanda said: “It is the time, Blessed One, it is the time, Sublime One, for the Blessed One to teach the five lower fetters. Having heard it from the Blessed One, the bhikkhus will remember it.”
>
>“Then listen, Ānanda, and attend closely to what I shall say.”
>
>“Yes, venerable sir,” the venerable Ānanda replied.
>
>The Blessed One said this:
>>
File: 1442776227958.png (112 KB, 1838x1049) Image search: [Google]
1442776227958.png
112 KB, 1838x1049
>>420704
>“Here, Ānanda, an untaught ordinary person who has no regard for noble ones and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, who has no regard for true men and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, abides with a mind obsessed and enslaved by identity view, and he does not understand as it actually is the escape from the arisen identity view; and when that identity view has become habitual and is uneradicated in him, it is a lower fetter. He abides with a mind obsessed and enslaved by doubt…by adherence to rules and observances …by sensual lust …by ill will, and he does not understand as it actually is the escape from arisen ill will; and when that ill will has become habitual and is uneradicated in him, it is a lower fetter.
>
>“A well-taught noble disciple who has regard for noble ones and is skilled and disciplined in their Dhamma, who has regard for true men and is skilled and disciplined in their Dhamma, does not abide with a mind obsessed and enslaved by identity view; he understands as it actually is the escape from the arisen identity view, and identity view together with the underlying tendency to it is abandoned in him. He does not abide with a mind obsessed and enslaved by doubt…by adherence to rules and observances…by sensual lust…by ill will; he understands as it actually is the escape from the arisen ill will, and ill will together with the underlying tendency to it is abandoned in him.
>
>“There is a path, Ānanda, a way to the abandoning of the five lower fetters; that anyone, without relying on that path, on that way, shall know or see or abandon the five lower fetters—this is not possible. Just as when there is a great tree standing possessed of heartwood, it is not possible that anyone shall cut out its heartwood without cutting through its bark and sapwood, so too, there is a path…this is not possible.
>>
>>420617
That's not a prisoner, it's a serf.
>>
File: 1445583430040.png (90 KB, 1839x1055) Image search: [Google]
1445583430040.png
90 KB, 1839x1055
>>420705
>“There is a path, Ānanda, a way to the abandoning of the five lower fetters; that someone, by relying on that path, on that way, shall know and see and abandon the five lower fetters—this is possible. Just as, when there is a great tree standing possessed of heartwood, it is possible that someone shall cut out its heartwood by cutting through its bark and sapwood, so too, there is a path…this is possible.
>
>“Suppose, Ānanda, the river Ganges were full of water right up to the brim so that crows could drink from it, and then a feeble man came thinking: ‘By swimming across the stream with my arms, I shall get safely across to the further shore of this river Ganges’; yet he would not be able to get safely across. So too, when the Dhamma is being taught to someone for the cessation of personality, if his mind does not enter into it and acquire confidence, steadiness, and resolution, then he can be regarded as like the feeble man.
>
>“Suppose, Ānanda, the river Ganges were full of water right up to the brim so that crows could drink from it, and then a strong man came thinking: ‘By swimming across the stream with my arms, I shall get safely across to the further shore of this river Ganges’; and he would be able to get safely across. So too, when the Dhamma is being taught to someone for the cessation of personality, if his mind enters into it and acquires confidence, steadiness, and resolution, then he can be regarded as like the strong man.
>“And what, Ānanda, is the path, the way to the abandoning of the five lower fetters? Here, with seclusion from the acquisitions, with the abandoning of unwholesome states, with the complete tranquillization of bodily inertia, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the first jhāna, which is accompanied by applied and sustained thought, with rapture and pleasure born of seclusion.
>
>>
File: 1427384567742.png (112 KB, 1829x1055) Image search: [Google]
1427384567742.png
112 KB, 1829x1055
>>420709
>“Whatever exists therein of material form, feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness, he sees those states as impermanent, as suffering, as a disease, as a tumour, as a barb, as a calamity, as an affliction, as alien, as disintegrating, as void, as not self. He turns his mind away from those states and directs it towards the deathless element thus: ‘This is the peaceful, this is the sublime, that is, the stilling of all formations, the relinquishing of all attachments, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, Nibbāna.’ If he is steady in that, he attains the destruction of the taints. But if he does not attain the destruction of the taints because of that desire for the Dhamma, that delight in the Dhamma, then with the destruction of the five lower fetters he becomes one due to reappear spontaneously in the Pure Abodes and there attain final Nibbāna without ever returning from that world. This is the path, the way to the abandoning of the five lower fetters.
>
>“Again, with the stilling of applied and sustained thought, a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the second jhāna…Again, with the fading away as well of rapture, a bhikkhu…enters upon and abides in the third jhāna…Again,a with the abandoning of pleasure and pain…a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the fourth jhāna, which has neither-pain-nor-pleasure and purity of mindfulness due to equanimity.
>
>“Whatever exists therein of material form, feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness, he sees those states as impermanent…as not self. He turns his mind away from those states and directs it towards the deathless element…This is the path, the way to the abandoning of the five lower fetters.

>“Again, with the complete surmounting of perceptions of form, with the disappearance of perceptions of sensory impact, with non-attention to perceptions of diversity, aware that ‘space is infinite,’ a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the base of infinite space.
>>
File: 1427035534254.png (117 KB, 1834x1039) Image search: [Google]
1427035534254.png
117 KB, 1834x1039
>>420711
>“Whatever exists therein of feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness, he sees those states as impermanent…as not self. He turns his mind away from those states and directs it towards the deathless element…This is the path, the way to the abandoning of the five lower fetters.
>
>“Again, by completely surmounting the base of infinite space, aware that ‘consciousness is infinite,’ a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the base of infinite consciousness.
>
>“Whatever exists therein of feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness, he sees those states as impermanent…as not self. He turns his mind away from those states and directs it towards the deathless element…This is the path, the way to the abandoning of the five lower fetters.
>
>“Again, by completely surmounting the base of infinite consciousness, aware that ‘there is nothing,’ a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the base of nothingness.
>
>“Whatever exists therein of feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness, he sees those states as impermanent, as suffering, as a disease, as a tumour, as a barb, as a calamity, as an affliction, as alien, as disintegrating, as void, as not self. He turns his mind away from those states and directs it towards the deathless element thus: ‘This is the peaceful, this is the sublime, that is, the stilling of all formations, the relinquishing of all attachments, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, Nibbāna.’ If he is steady in that, he attains the destruction of the taints. But if he does not attain the destruction of the taints because of that desire for the Dhamma, that delight in the Dhamma, then with the destruction of the five lower fetters he becomes one due to reappear spontaneously in the Pure Abodes and there attain final Nibbāna without ever returning from that world. This is the path, the way to the abandoning of the five lower fetters.”
>>
File: 1432938730203.png (118 KB, 1818x1023) Image search: [Google]
1432938730203.png
118 KB, 1818x1023
>>420712
>“Venerable sir, if this is the path, the way to the abandoning of the five lower fetters, then how is it that some bhikkhus here are said to gain deliverance of mind and some are said to gain deliverance by wisdom?”
>
>“The difference here, Ānanda, is in their faculties, I say.”
>
>That is what the Blessed One said. The venerable Ānanda was satisfied and delighted in the Blessed One’s words.
>
>>
File: 1419455563984.png (121 KB, 1817x1027) Image search: [Google]
1419455563984.png
121 KB, 1817x1027
>>420713
>>
File: 1434451165899.png (91 KB, 1819x1029) Image search: [Google]
1434451165899.png
91 KB, 1819x1029
>>420715
The_Mind_Illuminated_A_Complete_Meditation_Guide_Integrating_Buddhist_Wisdom_and_Brain_Science_John_Yates_(Culadasa)(2015)_09
>>
File: 1436649451367.png (105 KB, 1836x1003) Image search: [Google]
1436649451367.png
105 KB, 1836x1003
>>420716
>>
>>420609
I'm aware of this fighting but it certainly wasn't tot take over "Buddhist land", but to establish an independent state. But that's not relevant to today's Rohingya and their persecution (though the Buddhist nationalists use it as an ideological weapon). What starts the riots today are shit like "this Muslim looked at my girl funny" or "this Muslim tried charging me more for this snack".

>>420614
Everything about this is wrong. Did you forget British occupation? lmao fuck out of here
>>
>>420731
The Rakhines were driven out by the Rohingya muslims. The military government drove out the Rohingya muslims that tookover Rakhine area under the jihad. The Rohingya now want what Rakhines had.

This incursions happened multiple times in the last 100 years. Under the british rule when they did large imports of cheap bengal labor, during the bangladesh/pakistan war. The surge of muslim immigrants from Bangladesh wanted to usurp the status quo. When the Burmese tried expelling them, the Bangladesh government refused to take them in. They were then cordoned in a special refugee area. This lead to the jihad of taking over land from Rakhines and then the government pushing them back.
>>
>>420756
British colonialism and border marking makes land a precious resource and has caused ethnic conflicts for that land. No one said Rohingya or Muslims are historically innocent, but neither are the Bamar. Again, this isn't relevant to today's situation, the Buddhists are attacking Muslims based on ethnic hatred.
>>
>>420731
>no you're wrong
ok
>>
>>420768
The Today's situation is a continuation of the same fucking ethnic tension that the brits created. Its been recorded in history since the early 20th century by the brits themselves.

The most recent one is simply because some Muslims raping/killing Buddhist and this caused a mass hysteria in small village. This led to media over-exaggeration and pretty soon the whole nation saw through it. The smaller villages were swept in the path along and its residents choosing sides depending on safety issue.

So again, its very relevant to bring up the history because thats where the problem lies.
>>
>>420489
the world would be peaceful if everyone acted like the buddha*
>>
>>420790
>The most recent one is simply because some Muslims raping/killing Buddhist
IN 2014 there was a big riot started by Buddhists based on a social media rumor of this happening when it didn't, and that's been the norm.
>So again, its very relevant to bring up the history because thats where the problem lies.
No, again, since this has no direct causation with with the Rohingya nationalism that you brought up earlier, except that that is a historical foundation for current ethnic tensions. The current Buddhist population finds other reasons, real or imagined, to hate Muslims and persecute them.

This is all drifting away from the OP's point about Buddhists being entirely peaceful anyway. This alone shows they're only willing to be peaceful as far as it suits their needs.
>>
>>420849
>This alone shows they're only willing to be peaceful as far as it suits their needs.
That's the entire message of the Buddhist "bin ladan" guy. There needs to be a limit to how peaceful you can be. As being too peaceful allows the destruction of country/culture/people.

However that guy is like the Tea party, a radical minority supported by the Rakhines. Loud voice, but still a minority. Major buddhist people of Burma don't buy into that, even though it may be "rational". They are more inclined to a peaceful solution, if there was one.

This is basically two minorities fighting each other and the Burmese majority caught in between. Before the military would clamp down, but its too delicate of a situation. Fanning either side has caused so much problem.
>>
>>420599
Are you retarded. The entire point of being a mom is being separate from society
>>
>>420920
There are currently no classless systems. If a "buddhist monk only" country was formed, even they would have a class within the buddhist monasteries. The elders/intermediate/novice/etc

Class is division within a society. In our current world, Buddhist countries live within society separated by lay people and monks. The lay have their own class systems (politicians/laborers/ceos/middle classes) and the monks might as well. But overall they're both part of a larger society.
>>
>>420489
Nah, most of East Asia is buddhist and they were hardly peaceful all the time
>>
>https://www.studentsforafreetibet.org/get-involved/action-toolbox/friendly-feudalism-the-tibet-myth
>>
>>420559

But not attacking muslims turns your country into a muslim one.
>>
Buddhists don't violently proselytize or have a barbaric legal system so I'm cool with that. Buddhist blasphemy laws are still pretty crazy in SEasia though.
>>
>>421131
Wrong. Most of East Asia is Atheist
>>
>>421376

>t.D.Trump
>>
File: deathofacyborg.png (444 KB, 500x432) Image search: [Google]
deathofacyborg.png
444 KB, 500x432
>>420519
That's deep, man.
>>
I wish there they would make diagrams explaining things such as their cosmologies and states of consciousness.
>>
File: 1430937213418.jpg (684 KB, 1980x1980) Image search: [Google]
1430937213418.jpg
684 KB, 1980x1980
>>423386
it is a start
>>
File: 1441854710288.png (363 KB, 2016x1584) Image search: [Google]
1441854710288.png
363 KB, 2016x1584
>>423877
>>
File: 1444190919874.jpg (155 KB, 1500x2175) Image search: [Google]
1444190919874.jpg
155 KB, 1500x2175
>>423882
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.