[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else /deist/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Anyone else /deist/ here?
>>
Nope, Occam's razor
>>
>>419195
The easiest explanation for the universe and its complexity is God.
>>
>>420597
>the easiest explanation for a complex yet accessible thing is another, even more complex thing we know nothing about
>>
>>418966
I believe God exists, but I do not believe he directly acts. I've prayed before in times of need and came out okay. Do I feel like he answered them? Sure. Do I think if I had not prayed they would have turned out differently? Not really. Its a really complex feeling. I see God in the beauty of the world. To me, God is that beauty. That beauty of seeing your children laugh, or your wife in love with you, that gorgeous mountain top covered with snow. What does that make me?
>>
>>420597

It's so simple and easy that it's not even an explanation.

The simplest explanation is always 'magic happened'.
>>
>>420622
At least it explains design. Better than life existing by sheer chance. Also, consciousness.
>>
>>420659
>At least it explains design.
Not it's not, it just says "because god", moving the question a step away without answering it.
>Also, consciousness.
"There is (my) consciousness because there is (god's) consciousness". Nice explanation.
>>
>>420681
How do you explain consciousness without supernatural means?
>>
>>420754
There are different ways, like functionalism or consciousness-is-an-illustion, etc. I can't say they very convincing, but at least they try. Explaining consciousness via consciousness or "god did it" isn't explanation at all.
>>
>>418966
>"A certain person said, "In the Saint's mausoleum there is a poem that goes :"If in one's heart He follows the path of sincerity,
Though he does not pray, Will not the gods protect him?" What is this path of sincerity?"
A man answered him by saying, ''You seem to like poetry. I will answer you with a poem.
As everything in this world is but a shame, Death is the only sincerity.
It is said that becoming as a dead man in one's daily living is the following of the path of sincerity." ".
>- The Hagakure

Not sure if it quite counts, but I believe in the 'Path of Sincerity' or equivalents that have been termed as such. The Gods can be Prayed to but should not always be relied upon. The gods and yourself should want you to do some things on your own.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.