[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Constantine Palaiologos... had a hard life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 10
File: Constantine_Palaiologos (1).jpg (407 KB, 400x622) Image search: [Google]
Constantine_Palaiologos (1).jpg
407 KB, 400x622
Constantine Palaiologos... had a hard life
>>
>>418087
Who is this person I just stabbed? Oh well, probably no one important.

t.Turk
>>
File: 1448228870661.png (214 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1448228870661.png
214 KB, 499x499
Byzantium will rise again!
>>
>>418447

There's probably more chance of the Turks outright buying Greek land at this point.
>>
File: Eastern Roman feel.png (1 MB, 1062x764) Image search: [Google]
Eastern Roman feel.png
1 MB, 1062x764
>When Constantine Dragases first set foot as Emperor in his capital on 12 March 1449 - it is a sad reflection on the state of the Empire that he had been obliged to travel from Greece in a Venetian ship, there being no Byzantine vessels available -
>>
File: AYWIy.jpg (98 KB, 677x782) Image search: [Google]
AYWIy.jpg
98 KB, 677x782
>You will never participate in one of the greatest siege battles in history and die in its dogged defense as one worthy of the name Roman
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 600x600
Did Byzantium make use of guns?
>>
>>418493
If I recall, they did use guns but they were cannons that when fired would break the towers they were situated in.
The Latins and the Greeks also fought over who needed the cannons and guns the most.
Read 1453, it's a fun, but sad read.
>>
>>418453
>SYRIZA selling off land
they have a hard enough time convincing their constituents that selling off their utilities is worth it
>>
File: Germans go to the beach.jpg (111 KB, 790x526) Image search: [Google]
Germans go to the beach.jpg
111 KB, 790x526
>>418493
>>but it was not until 1452 that a German engineer named Urban presented himself before the Sultan and offered to construct for him a cannon that would blast the walls of Babylon itself.1 This was precisely what Mehmet had been waiting for. He gave Urban everything he needed - together with four times his requested salary - and was rewarded only three months later by the fearsome weapon which, installed at Rumeli Hisar, sank Antonio Rizzo's ship. He then demanded another, twice the size of the first. This was completed in January 1453. It is said to have been nearly twenty-seven feet long, with a barrel two and a half feet in diameter at the front end. The bronze was eight inches thick. When it was tested, a ball weighing some 1,340 pounds hurtled through the air for well over a mile before burying itself six feet deep in the ground. Two hundred men were sent out to prepare for the journey to Constantinople of this fearsome machine, smoothing the road and reinforcing the bridges; and at the beginning of March it set off, drawn by thirty pairs of oxen, with another two hundred men to hold it steady.

>>1 Urban had previously approached the Byzantine Emperor with the same offer, but Constantine, unable to provide either the money or the raw materials for which he asked, had been obliged to refuse. Had he accepted, we can speculate endlessly on how the course of the next two years might have been altered; but it seems impossible that the fate of Byzantium could have been changed.

Will Germans ever stop fucking shit up?
>>
>>418493
Yes.
>>
>>418453
>>418523
They shouldn't sell anything.
Everybody who has even held office or been part of a family that held office needs to be barred from ever running again.

Then they should tell Europe to fuck off, exit the EU and the Euro.

Then they should look to fixing the deep, generational issues that affect the populace. Namely their refusal to pay taxes, to work, or to do anything honest in their miserable lives.

Fire all professors from Universities outside of STEM fields. Replace the others with work-starved American, Canadian, and Western European PhDs. Screen for communist sympathizers, liberal populists, and reject them.

Even Eastern European professors would work.

The professors are poisoning the minds of every pathetic excuse for life in the country. The entire Greek mentality from 1945 -> 2015 needs to be erased.

Economically they need to turn the country into an industrial powerhouse, and they have the capability and market access to be successful at it. All of Africa and the middle-east need cars, guns, other manufactured goods.

Increase production of long-term crops (figs, olives) and invest heavily in indoor, multi-story agricultural operations. Africa and the middle-east also need food. Plus, there is no reason any country should be importing produce in 2015. We have the means to affordably grow almost everything in doors.
>>
>>419124
Become entirely energy independent, though I think they already are fairly close minus fuel for cars and the like. Country is perfectly suited for wind, solar, and tidal power generation.

Take a page out of modern Judaisms page and encourage a cultural identity that uses the Bronze age, classical, and medieval history of the nation as a foundation to encourage unity and pride as well as motivation to regain relevance, or at least self respect.

But to be completely honest, its too late to fix anything. Country is going to be the next Romania if your an optimist. Ethiopia if you're not.
>>
>>419124
>>419127
>t. Mussolinologos.
>>
File: Germany.jpg (153 KB, 1188x524) Image search: [Google]
Germany.jpg
153 KB, 1188x524
>>418550

>A German Engineer named Urban
>>
File: 1448778748562.gif (2 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1448778748562.gif
2 MB, 320x320
Why was Constantine Palaiologos such a stone-cold badass when all the other Byzantine Emperors of the final era were such flaccid, power obsessed, family murdering piss babies?
>>
>>419401
His mother put him on the Throne, knowing that it was the last chance for the Empire to survive.

Politically I doubt he could have gotten there on his own.
>>
>>419415
>his mother put him on the throne
His mother supported him, but the Ottomans put him on the throne. They were asked to choose between Constantine and his brother
>>
>>419401
The Crown was more important than the kingdom, evidently.
>>
>>419124
>refusal to work
the greeks work longer hours than the germans fuccboi
>>
File: Retards.jpg (41 KB, 643x362) Image search: [Google]
Retards.jpg
41 KB, 643x362
>>422813
I'm spanish, and "statistically" we also "work" more hours thant the germans. The problem with Spain and Greece, as I see it, is similar. First, the elite groups, who only wish to hoard wealth under their feet, are too strong: they control the major parties, the mass media and the banking system and try as hard as they can to push down or corrupt any newcomer who may change this (this also happens in many other countries, but in ours, it is exagerated). On the other hand, there is a culture of theft and opportunism very rooted in our country, and too many people find it morally acceptable to act like this on different degrees. Not all spaniards are lazyfucks, but there are enough leeches to cripple the whole system. I'll give you an example, the first time I became aware of this: when I was like 13 years old, I went with some friends to the supermarket. As we got in, I took a pack of tissues from a shelf and put it on a pocket of my jacket. They spent nearly half an hour to decide what they wanted to pick to eat, and when they finally got their shitty tier food I had forgotten about the tissues. We left, and when we were not even half-way the supermarket's street, I noted the pack of tissues in my pocket and I told them to wait for me, as I had unwillingly stolen it, and I wanted to return and pay. Some of them mocked me, not for my carelessness, but for my innocence. Not knowing what to feel, I went to the cashier and paid, and even she laughed under her nose. I was being made fun of for doing what was right. I have lived some other situations like this, and with the passing of the years i've grown pretty intolerant towards this attitudes. I no longer care about left or right in politics. I only care about virtue and corruption, and who seems more right and clean to me, that's the one who gets my vote. Because corruption, either of rich or poor is the problem of any state. And Spain and Greece get Golden Medals at it. And that disgusts me greatly.
>>
File: Good Work Spain.jpg (21 KB, 320x300) Image search: [Google]
Good Work Spain.jpg
21 KB, 320x300
>>424915
tl;dr The problems of Spain and Greece are both corrupted elites and leeching lazy-fucks.
>>
>>424928
I think its more a med thing, I don't why but everyone bordering that sea becomes lazy and ver suscebtible to corruption.
>>
>>425060
Not Slovenes and Croats.

>>418550
German engineering at its finest, even way back then.

>>418475
>Roman
???
>>
>>422813

You mean the Greeks "work" longer hours than the Germans.

I can sit around at a desk doing nothing 90% of the time, and spending the other 10% doing my job poorly and inefficiently. I can then go and log my hours as longer than the time I actually spent in the office. On paper, I work 14 hour days 5 days a week. I'm a good employee, right?

Of course not. If I'm such a hard working guy, how come a German who works half my hours gets more done in a day than I do in a week?
>>
>>425755

What makes North Yugos different then? A weak elite? A proper system of checks and balances? Post-Austrian discipline? Stronger work and moral ethics?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.