[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on this abomination /his/? AIDS has provided a greater
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (407 KB, 2221x1215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
407 KB, 2221x1215
Thoughts on this abomination /his/?

AIDS has provided a greater service to humanity than this channel.
>>
Hehehe nice one op! That piece of shit channel is a waste of fucking time. I'm here to talk about real history not lame aliens and hitler! At least we know better;)
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the History Channel at one point respectable. Or was I just too young to know any better.
>>
>>415514
It was fine through the early 2000s tbqhwy. Not sure what changed but by 2010 it was definitely unwatchable. New producers or management?

Too much focus on WW2 by 200 but there were some great documentary series from that time, particularly "War of the Century" about the Eastern Front (although I think that was basically just a rebranded/redubbed BBC series).

Also they had some great stuff on the American Civil War in the 1990s and early 2000s.
>>
>>415529
I seem to remember they were at one point. America: The Story of Us wasn't a bad series. But if I see Ancient Aliens or some hillbilly looking for gold anymore I'm going to hero
>>
>>415540
2000*

Also Modern Marvels and Histories Mysteries were decent.
>>
>>415529
You must be pretty young, or you just didnt watch tv back then
>>
Guys.
This thing is bad.
Let's talk about how bad it is!
>>
I miss the constant stream of World War 2 documentaries.

The fact that it is mostly reality shows is depressing. The fact that the only documentaries they do play are Ancient Aliens is very very depressing.
>>
American Pickers and Pawn Stars are trash and yet they are some of the only programs left on the channel that have a semblance of history. Even then Antiques Roadshow is a much more informative and historically interesting show in the same vein.

Ancient Aliens is not history.
>>
90's kid here. 00's kids just don't get it. We had history! Now we have trash.
>>
We got a problem on our hands boys. Here at /his/, we pride ourselves on history. The truth! It's why we subscribe to agnostic atheism.
But more important right now is the state of our once beloved history channel. Gone are the days of documentaries and real history. Now it's just "Ancient Aliens" and pickers. MTV doesn't have music and history channel is a joke! Boys, let's remember simpler times.
>>
Honestly, I really enjoy documentaries. I hate reality tv.
>>
I mean you shouldn't watch history channel if you're expecting real history. I just watch Pawn Stars when i'm bored and have nothing to do.
>>
>>415608
I know you're trolling but are you implying History channel was always shit or, conversely, that the quality of the channel has not changed since it first began? There is a very obvious decline in the quality of programming and you're an edgy idiot if you believe otherwise.
>>
File: 1443509191643.jpg (41 KB, 429x377) Image search: [Google]
1443509191643.jpg
41 KB, 429x377
What would you lot recommend to watch ? A channel that produce good quality and diverse history documentaries ?

I'm French so i can't really think of an english speaking once ,but for other francophone you have imeo and Arte (also in german ,ja ?)
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>415514
did you know it split into two channels and all the history moved to this one?
>>
>>415632
Read a fucking book instead.
>>
>>415628
I'm saying its a waste of fucking time to talk about how bad a TV channel is. This thread isn't related to /his/ and your complaints are equivalent to those of nostalgia fags.
>>
>>415660
Most of the dumbfucks on this board get their information from History channel documentaries so I'd say it's relevant. People either get their info from documentaries or grand strategy games, do you really think anyone here reads anything but Cracked articles?
>>
>>415673
>this board is shit so let's make it shittier!
I actually care about the quality of this board and think there are many valid and interesting threads. I've also learned a decent amount personally. There's no need for debate here, if you want to talk shit on a TV channel, go to /tv/.
Complaining gets you nowhere.
>>
Actually I tuned in last week a few times and it really and truly surprised me how much better quality the shows seemed

no ancient ice road bigfoot pickers or anything
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJjwb4eyAyo

I quite enjoyed this.
Really don't know anything about the ACW so no idea how accurate it is.
>>
File: 08 + 09 - galleon.jpg (2 MB, 6102x3888) Image search: [Google]
08 + 09 - galleon.jpg
2 MB, 6102x3888
>>415660
why don't we make it a nostalgia thread then?
anyone had the CD-ROM as a kid of this?
>>
>>415544

Ah yes! Histories Mysteries! They also used to play the In Search Of series featuring Leonard Nimoy way back in the day. God that was a great series.
>>
>16 years old
>wake up at the asscrack of dawn for school
>make breakfast
>hear that glorious trumpet from the living room
>old, sad native american talking about how he watched the white man conquer his people
>oh boy, more wild west history!

History Channel was god-tier 10 years ago. Then came Pawn Stars and they realized how much money shit like that brought in, so they started showing all this Reality TV garbage.
>>
>>415740

The Men Who Built America was great. The Hatfields vs McCoys was incredible. Texas Rising was pretty damn good too.

They still put out decent programs from time to time.
>>
History used to be amazing, back in the 90s

I still remember when A&E used to be called Arts and Entertainment and show sick series like Horatio Hornblower and Pride and Prejudice. Now it's all garbage.
>>
>>415636
How long will it be before this channel just becomes another host for reality shows about morbidly obese pawn shop workers? Look at what became of MTV2
>>
>>415916
when it splits into THREE channels, i suppose
MTV Jams still shows music and concerts
>>
Alaska Off-Road Warriors (6)
Ice Road Truckers (8)
American Pickers (16)
Alone (4)
Gold Hunters: Legend of the Superstition Mountains (6)
American Pickers (18)
Storage Wars (23)
Storage Wars (24)
Pawn Stars (43)
Pawn Stars (44)
Shipping Wars (23)
Shipping Wars (24)
Storage Wars (16)
Storage Wars (11)
Shipping Wars (9)
Shipping Wars (4)
American Pickers (18)
Storage Wars (23)
Storage Wars (24)
American Pickers (16)
Pawn Stars (43)
Pawn Stars (44)
Ax Men (3)
Mountain Men (14)
>Hunting Hitler (6)
Ax Men (3)
Mountain Men (14)
>Last Days Of The Nazis (6)
American Pickers (16)
American Pickers (18)
American Restoration (20)
American Restoration (21)

TWO actual documentaries.
>>
>>415948
this is so fucking said, those retard shits have nothing to do with history.
>>
File: 90% of history channel grid.jpg (12 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
90% of history channel grid.jpg
12 KB, 300x168
>>415514
>live in portugal
>history channel making ads based on what viewers said on their facebook/personal page/whatever they used
>"ffs history channel... you keep playing pawn shop over and over again. don't you have anything more than that for us to watch?!"
>"we heard you, mr. whatsyourname - and to show how much we care about our viewers commentaries we'll pass a full day marathon of pawn shop at saturday :^)"

and i'm not even taking the piss... this really happened and it was an advertising on their channel - i know it was supposed to be funny and it kinda was since they really took some risks there but still... i'm so fucking tired of all their bullshit made up programs where people do the most mundane shit jobs but always end up fighting for their lives on a truck in the middle of a snowy peak, catch a megalodon with a tuna fishing vessel, get more gold than scrooge mcduck in the middle of nowhere and buy the nails used in christ crucification for a couple of bucks
>>
>>415948
in theory some of those programs could be interesting for people with little knowledge on history just to start picking up some random facts about some historical facts
but once you flood your channel with those just because they're way cheaper to make than a real documentary and probably attract more viewers since you don't need to have any kind of knowledge about any subject to understand what's going on, you're no longer providing a proper service but just alienating your core audience in order to have a wide variety of viewers

it's the we want the call of duty audience all over again
>>
They seem to have moved over to bigger more dramatic historical pieces and specific documentaries which is okay I guess. We get some good stuff out of it like Men Who Built America.
>>
>>415948
>Storage Wars (23)
>Storage Wars (24)
>Pawn Stars (43)
>Pawn Stars (44)
>Shipping Wars (23)
>Shipping Wars (24)
>Storage Wars (16)
>Storage Wars (11)
>Shipping Wars (9)
>Shipping Wars (4)
>American Pickers (18)
>Storage Wars (23)
>Storage Wars (24)
>American Pickers (16)
>Pawn Stars (43)
>Pawn Stars (44)
What the fuck is wrong with this channel
>>
>>415948

Shipping and Storage Wars are broadcast on their affiliate A&E.

People bitching about Pawn Stars should shut the fuck up. That show is GOAT. Each item is literally a mini-segment on the history with a bit of Hollywood to entice average viewers. Not for you? Sounds good, but it makes history interesting to those who otherwise would have not bothered.

From guns to art to music to books to technology and everything in between.

Or do you prefer the good old History channel that had a fucking history game show hosted by Marc Summers? Bet most of you young fucks don't remember that. If you did, or if it were still on, you'd probably bitch about it too.
>>
I remember when filler programs were modern marvels and ww2 documentaries.
>>
>>415514
they had modern marvels
>>
I had an idea for a show that I know Jews would steal but here it goes:

CONCEPT IS LIKE ALONE

TAKE REENACTORS THAT KNOW "BUSHCRAFT" AND GIVE THEM THE SUPPLIES THAT THEY NEED IN ORDER TO EMULATE TRAPPERS/HUNTERS/ETC

SAME THING AS "ALONE" BUT NOT MODERN AND NOT SHIT

There you go, it's relevant to history now.
>>
>>415673
This desu.

I on the otherhand took AP history classes in highschool, and read history books consistently.

Also, to add to your statement; national geographic leftist propoganda.
>>
>>415867

Texas Rising was absolute shit. They couldn't even get the Alamo falling date correctly. They didn't even film in fucking Texas.
>>
>>415557
I highly recommend the military channel or AHC or whatever the fuck it's called. They constantly show some really great WWII documentaries and many other ones on such topics.
>>
>>417021
>hey mane I found this worn out poster with a coca-cola logo
>you need to know that they made 1000 of these posters, and 5000 with a different colour. Fun fact, they stopped producing them because of copyright issues
Gee, thanks for the history
>>
File: Nicole Curtis.jpg (35 KB, 616x462) Image search: [Google]
Nicole Curtis.jpg
35 KB, 616x462
i miss Modern Marvels, Wild West Tech, Tales of the Gun, ect. I still watch American Picker and Restoration just because i like seeing to old shit they find and fix up.

But honestly, i watch get more history from Rehab Addict on HGTV than History Channel. At least she restores old architecture. I also want to give Nicole Curtis another baby
>>
>>417078

Pretty sure that was a production mistake that never aired.
>>
>>415514
I always wondered how The History Channel became so much shit and off topic.

But then I look into /his/ and see all these religious threads, /pol/baits, and inane discussions slapped with the label of "history" that the Shittening of History Channel begins to make sense.
>>
>>417139

>implying every item is like that
>implying the Hotchkiss cannon wasn't informative as fuck
>implying most items aren't in the similar vein
>>
It's basically the same as this board
>>
>>417188
>>417173
We have yet to degenerate into talking about our redneck jobs or pawning items at ruinous rates while being valued by a walk in expert just by eye.
>>
>>417177
80% of the stuff is cars, sports or old merchandise
Even when they get to talk about history it's just a line of trivia
>>
>>417218

What do you want? 30 minutes dedicated to an item?
>>
File: 1444415874677.jpg (79 KB, 500x568) Image search: [Google]
1444415874677.jpg
79 KB, 500x568
>>417227
I want history
>>
Hey, Pawn stars aint that bad
>>
>>417227
Well you know some actual historic subjects you know like major events that shaped humanity would be nice and I'm not talking about watching someone get hustled out of their old "garbage" or what would ww2 be like if we where figthing Martians instead (yes that was actually a show on history channel)
>>
>>417293
Go back to /b/
>>
>>417153

Pretty sure it was on the first episode.
>>
>>415934
I didn't even know MTV jams was a thing. Wonder how long until that stops showing music too
>>
>>415514
The History Channel turning from a respectable source of historical documentaries to mostly shitty reality tv shows is analogous to how shitty western society has become.
>>
>>415540
Had lots of fun and interesting (if cheesy) docudramas in the late 90's to early 2000's - you can still find many of them on YouTube. And of course Modern Marvels is G.O.A.T.

[spoilers]How It's Made can suck dog dick in hell.[/spoilers]

It was already on a slide by 2003 or so with the Hitler fetish, but I'm pretty sure all the white trash showed up when A&E took over and wanted to appeal to their Duck Dynasty fan base on History of all places, God knows why.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.