[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Africans were all stone aged before the Europeans came!"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 15
File: African sword.jpg (49 KB, 778x519) Image search: [Google]
African sword.jpg
49 KB, 778x519
When will this meme die?
>>
>>415085
What's up with the bottom of the scabbard?
>>
>>415094
Some form of ornamentation.
>>
>>415094

I'm guess it's a stylistic choice as well as to put more weight at the bottom
>>
>>415085
It's absolutely shocking the amount of people who think Africans were largely stone age hunters and that they weren't actively mining mineral resources.
>>
File: Warrior africa.jpg (69 KB, 394x640) Image search: [Google]
Warrior africa.jpg
69 KB, 394x640
>>415085
>>
>>415085

As long as edgy edgelords call this place home that meme will continue. Even if a meme isn't funny to them they just keep repeating it. Racism taken to unrealistic heights will always make you cool, amiriteguys?
>>
>>415085
So, what happened? How did sub saharan africa colapse?
>>
>>415085
It all goes back to the lack of written records.

Oral records are a shit way of recording yourself historically.
>>
>>415123
It was never that great to begin with (this isn't /pol/ shit, it's just fact), but then between the 17th and 18th centuries the demand for slaves along the Atlantic West African coast (which is where the most complex societies were) grew enormously, leading to the entire economic and political system being reorganized towards the production of slaves. This caused economic stagnation, militarization, and the general collapse of civilized society. Meanwhile, East and Central Africa were fucked over by the separate Indian Ocean slave trade in the 19th century. By the time of colonization Africa was already a steaming shithole. Colonialism brought stabilization, but completely failed to set down the foundations for any kind of functioning societies.
>>
>>415112
>>>/r/history
>>
File: ife_500x500.jpg (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ife_500x500.jpg
77 KB, 500x500
>>415112
It's like even when you show them Ife bronzes they claim it was Arabs, no matter what it's always someone else.

We could find an ancient pygmy civilization in the heart of the Congo and people will honestly believe Africans could not have done it.
>>
>>415140

eh?
>>
>>415160
He means that if you want to discuss history go there, /his/ is for meme history and shitposting.
>>
>>415085
Beautiful piece. How old is the sword?
>>
>>415154
I'm not locked into believing anything, but I still have not seen many impressive relics from anywhere not near Egypt.

Feel free to enlighten me.

The meme is that middle east had the best steal for along time so i don't think its really "MUH POL" to jump to the conclusion that most swords might have come from there, or at least the materials. Even some viking swords were middle east steal.
>>
>>415173
>Feel free to enlighten me.
s-t-e-e-l
>>
>>415173
*steel
>>
>>415173
The exploration of copper, the creation iron and and even carbon steel is archaeological fact with enough research that you yourself can look it up yourself.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, rather I am stating the mental fatigue of those who claim to know the answer or state neutrality but don't take the time to research on their own.
>>
>>415188
*Exploitation
>>
>>415123
I can't speak for the whole continent but Yoruba civilisation was consumed piece by piece by the British empire. Ethiopia never fell. Ashanti was taken by the French I believe. Much of east Africa was colonised by Oman.
>>
>>415112
Fuck off back to tumblr faggot
>>
>>415173
Bronze statue from Benin, modern day Nigeria
>>
File: Benin_bronze_in_Bristol_Museum.jpg (715 KB, 1479x1943) Image search: [Google]
Benin_bronze_in_Bristol_Museum.jpg
715 KB, 1479x1943
>>415217
>mom it's not that cold outside
>>
File: pew pew.jpg (12 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
pew pew.jpg
12 KB, 236x354
>>
>>415213
STOP THE MEME

Omani were among the last people before the British to colonize the Swahili Coast, it wasn't until they beat the Portuguese in the 1840's the Omani were even all that powerful on the entire Swahili Coast.

The peoples of power by and large were Shirazi who descend from a half African Persian prince that migrated down with other African Persians and intermarried with Bantu.

Before this time and after Somali, Arabs and Indians traded with them and did intermix but you can't see Arabs as the defining force of the region.
>>
File: IMG_1064.jpg (45 KB, 415x700) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1064.jpg
45 KB, 415x700
Black Cloud cosplayer.
>>
File: hol up.jpg (39 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
hol up.jpg
39 KB, 480x480
>>415232
nuffin personnel muhfuga
>>
hol up....
>>
What is the purpose of this thread?

Africans had basic metallurgy. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo. Should we create a new thread for every ethnicity which made swords?
>>
>>415243
Don't we?
>>
>>415236
I wish I have friends like these
>>
>>415186
>>415187
Yeah i just woke up, and my dyslexia is firing off. Sorry about that.

>>415188
Sure. I will continue to learn on my own about it then.

>>415217
Thank you for actually posting something.
>>
It's still controversial whether Africans independently developed metallurgy or learned it through contact with others.
One theory is that the proto-Bantu people were able to expand throughout sub-saharan Africa because they had iron tools
>>
>>415255
>One theory is that the proto-Bantu people were able to expand throughout sub-saharan Africa because they had iron tools
Weird.
>>
>>415248
We don't. The only time I see this sort of thread it's about africans.
>>
>>415273
Saw one about native American tribes the other day and how they used huge wooden warhammers instead of metal weapons, pretty interesting.
>>
>>415273
And Indians, and Vikings, and Germanics, and Goths... there's a lot of overlap here now that I think about it.
>>
>>415255
It's not controversial, most of academia have been in agreement for decade that this is in situ development
>>415268
Africans are not a rainforest people, iron axes allowed trees to be cleared for farmland and the exploitation and trading of minerals.
>>
>>415282
>>415287
Literally never read any threads about those and I browse /his/ a lot.
>>
New to 4Chan here. What's with the overwhelmingly positive racist hivemind here? Do people legitimately think that Africa was devoid of civilization before the Europeans, or is this just another meme?
>>
>>415316
My friend, you've picked one of the best communities to join.

This subchan and I may argue with each other from time to time over things like Jared Diamond, but this is easily the most welcoming history community I've ever found and I think I can safely say that we're happy to have you here.

As a heterosexual Christian male, I'm damn happy something as awesome as African metalwork helped you out in your time of need and if I knew you in person, I'd probably share many beers with you over nerding out over Africa. Anyways, welcome my friend! Now I have only one question to ask.

Which African civilization is your favorite?
>>
>>415094
It makes the wearer feel more manly because it's reminiscent of a penis head.
>>
>>415352

The Egyptians1111!

Just kidding, I'd have to say the Nok.

(I'm not sure if your reply is genuine or a passive-aggressive insult.)
>>
>>415231
In case there are some among you who may think this is just a meme or WE WUZ the black persian who founded Kilwa (but not the trade relationship of Middle Easterners and Africans) is Ali ibn al-Hassan Shirazi
>>
>>415166
Kaskara, Chad and Sudan area. 19th Century.
Not that old.
>>
>>415396
>(I'm not sure if your reply is genuine or a passive-aggressive insult.)

If you are genuinely new here you will soon learn that it can be both
>>
>>415085
Are you posting this from your cuckshed?
>>
>>415396
You're supposed to lurk before posting faggot.
>>
>>415085

About the same time WE WUZ KINGS N SHEEEIT dies.

So, never.
>>
>>415243
Morons keep saying that everything in Africa south of the cateracts of the nile was nothing but ooga booga cavemen tribes when this is demonstrably not the case.
>>
>>415085
north africa is pretty glorious desu, the rest is absolute shithole though
>>
>>415369
Wow, so
>muh dick

goes back to ancient times. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
>>
>>415316

It's a meme. Remember, 4chan is the place where nice people pretend to be ass holes.
>>
>>415165
I agree, everyone who wants to discuss real history should go to /r/history, especially the guy you responded to.
>>
More importantly, were native american tribes, specifically the lakota, considered to be in the paleolithic era still?
>nomadic
>hunter gatherers
>lack of agriculture
>lack of domestication
>lack of permanent settlements
>>
>>415231
Wasn't trying to meme, >WE is the worst meme on /his/ aside from maybe *tipsfedora*.

I thought Omanis brought an end to native African rule and I didn't know the Portuguese had anything more than a trading presence. Wasn't trying to say "dude it was arabs lmao"

I've never heard of Bantu/Persians but that sounds really interesting.

I sound like an autistic crybaby in the post, lel
>>
File: slave trade.jpg (197 KB, 900x525) Image search: [Google]
slave trade.jpg
197 KB, 900x525
>>415123
The slave trade was a big part of it.
>You get a lot of wars to collect slaves, which kills a bunch of people in the process and devastates farmland
>Instead of conquering your defeated enemies and benefiting in the long term as they and their kids, you sell them for short term gains
>Artisans and tradesmen are specifically targeted because carpenters and blacksmiths command a higher price
>The guys who win don't cultivate their own trades as they can buy foreign weapons and metal goods for human chattel
>Occasionally westerners launch raids to collect slaves (though much of the choppy works is done by locals)
Many slaves died in transit from where they were captured to the slave ports and more died in the slave ports in between visits by ships.
>>
>>416427
No. Remember, they didn't have horses until the arrival of Europeans. The Lakota became nomadic in response to a new technology, the horse.
>>
File: Benin.jpg (156 KB, 1256x686) Image search: [Google]
Benin.jpg
156 KB, 1256x686
>>415217
>Benin
>>
>>416877
Really? Im not super educated on any american history, so bear with me. I was taught that they followed around buffalo herds with teepees and whatnot
>>
>>415783
Honestly when you think of the advancements by human civilisation sub Saharans never come up if at all.
>>
>>418433
They did.

On foot.
>>
>>415783
It is the case you delusional fucking retard.

Name eleven things that were invented by sub-saharan africans, that drastically changed the course of history. Or had a major inpact on; science, technology, architecture, agriculture, or humanism.
>protip: you cannot
>>
>>416427
Because the white devil scum christooher columbus collaborators came over and genocided them for no reason whatsoever
>>
>>416747
We cant.
the only thing we can do is apologize to (the much superior) cultures that we did mean things to
>>
>>418491
didn't influence the rest of the world does not equal oogabooga cavemen
Although Africa did provide several species in the Colombian exchange
>eleven things
Why eleven?
>>
>>416410
>ancient times
This sword design is from 19th Century though.
>>
>>418519
Yes it kind of does.

>an entire ethnic group of people incapable of any cognitive progression
>not ooga booga gibs me dat caribou

Pick two
>>
>>418520
It took them until the 19th century to make a muh dick head sword scabbard
>>
>>418538
>incapable of any cognitive progression
Time and time again, when you black cvckoldry obsessive shitters flood African history threads this gets disproven, but the threads still get shitposted to death because of intellectual wittols fearful of negrocentrists voicing their opinion and somehow gaining traction on 4chan, despite there not being any (there never is, or was).
>>
>>418565
Disprove me than
>eleven things John Lennon

Im waiting
>>
>>418572
Why eleven?
Why does it have to be cultural exports?
For instance, sub-saharan Africans independently domesticated cattle, however Europeans acquired them from the near east.
Why does giving you a curiously specific number of cultural exports prove that they weren't cavemen when Timbuktu, Great Zimbabwe, the Nok, the Oyo etc, etc do that already?
>>
>>418596
for the sake of argument, we will just call them genetically cognitively stunted
>>
>>418596
Stop falling for bait. This is 4chan you idiot, the board may be about "discussing history" but it's really not about that.
>>
I'm a neo nazi and I don't believe that.

Only the biggest knuckldraggers on /pol/ believe ooga booga hunter gatherer tarzanland was accurate
>>
>>418603
If that is true then it has absolutely nothing to do with history. /pol/ should bring that up with /sci/ and stop being so triggered by African threads.
>>
>>418621
Answer my fucking question you braindead liberal
>eleven things sub saharan africa has ever done to progress human society as a whole

You cant, and that makes them a lesser group of people than the rest of the world ie ooga booga cavemen

just because muh feelings everyone is equal liberalism exists, most certainly does not make it true.
>>
>>418633
I don't get why they never shitpost in native american or asian threads. But the subject of Africa triggers them.
>>
>>418641
Native americans are on the same level, if not worse.

>asian

kek asians invented gunpowder, the most important invention history
>>
>>418640
List 11 things Iceland ever contributed to the world.
>>
>>418641
I don't see why you don't get it. Threads that show Africa wasn't caveman-tier completely disprove their worldview. It's obvious why that triggers them.
>>
>>418645
By accident
>>
>>418648
this isnt about ice land, its about oogaland
>>
>>418660
So you can't answer me?
>>
>>418653
>By accident
I don't see how that diminishes the achievement.
>>
>>418669
Stop trying to slide the subject
>>
>>418670
>>418669
Wrong Reply>>418663
>>
>>418670
>stop trying to slide the subject
So only your goalpost shifting is allowed?
Hypocritical to the point of parody.
>>
>>418669
Patting someone on the back for figuring out something by accident is intellectually dishonest.

The Yoruba accidentally figured out binary code in search of telling the future.
>>
>>418686
Answer the fucking question
> eleven

You simply cannot. Africans are shit
>>
>>418697
Answer my questions brer
>>418596
>>
>>418701
Typical leftist cognitive dissonance
>>
Why do West Africans think they were Egyptians and Ethiopians?

East Africa is vastly different from West Africa.
>>
>>418545
Well, it was a pretty big dick.
>>
>>418792
>Why do West Africans
which ones? Calling them all african is not the same thing as calling ethiopians, west africans
>>
>>418845
West Africans have the belief that they were the Pharaohs, Egyptians, and Ethiopians. Their belief is that West Africans are all Africans.
>>
>>418849
source?
>>
>>418873
http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/09/18/12-images-pharaohs-prove-ancient-egyptians-black/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOUV5jAMTkc

First hand sources are the best.
>>
>>415173
India had the best steel in the world since its creation there until the 18th century when the Brits killed all local industry.
Wootz steel or something.
They traded it with Arabs.
>>
File: Benin_kingdom_Louvre_A97-4-1.jpg (2 MB, 1550x1720) Image search: [Google]
Benin_kingdom_Louvre_A97-4-1.jpg
2 MB, 1550x1720
>>418792
>>418849
In real life, virtually no one believes that. The few that do are almost all African-American. West Africans are generally aware of their own history.

You're caught up in an echo chamber, m8. This is like spending your time on /pol/ and then asking, "How come Americans don't believe in the Holocaust?"
>>
File: 1095-1134 Kano city gate.jpg (78 KB, 800x564) Image search: [Google]
1095-1134 Kano city gate.jpg
78 KB, 800x564
I've actually learned a lot of Sub-Saharan African history from /pol/, To Be Honest Family.
>>
>>418873
American blacks in hip-hop, black twitter (though even there there is pushback from other American blacks), and schizophrenic ramblings on facebook macros, garish HTML websites and youtube. The only reason people don't ignore it, or rather actively promote it is because "lol niggers", I've yet to see a negrocentrist historian full stop produced, let alone one taken seriously in academia.
>>
>>418889
>>418912

>click bait sites and videos
>Afrocentrists
oh I thought this might some belief held by a majority of the yoruba people. This just seems like some or even few of them do
>>
>>418889
>>418905
Or watching the History Channel and asking, "Why do Americans believe that aliens built the pyramids?"
>>
>>418653
And so were chocolate chip cookies, but that doesn't stop you from enjoying them and praising the lady who made them.
>>
>>418919
>>418920
>African-Americans aren't the descendants of West Africans

Them being Afro-centrists doesn't diminish this view.
>>
>>415139
Thank you. It's as if people don't think there was a middle ground. They had early medieval technology at best. The only candidates for great civilizations would have been stuff like Mali or Songhai. All other places were inherently tribal governments with a feudal undertone.
That said, they certainly had more going for them than just being savage hunter gatherers like some people like to think.
>>
>>418653
Plenty of western inventions came about by accident. Aside from that, once they discovered gunpowder the promptly utilized it in bombs and rockets and eventually crude handcannons.
>>
>>418955
You're forgetting Ethiopians who had semi-stable kingdoms and governments for close to fifteen hundred years and were only conquered by the Italians in the 1930s. Their major downfall was the close proximity to Arabia and the Indian Ocean but they were by no means uncivilized.
>>
>>415085
Native Americans were all stone aged before the Europeans came.
>>
>>419008

No, they were into metal works. Look at the Inca.
>>
>>419008
Not quite, the Inca knew how to work iron.
>>
File: atk.jpg (128 KB, 1089x768) Image search: [Google]
atk.jpg
128 KB, 1089x768
iirc it was central Africa who pretty much perfected throwing knives/axes
>>
>>418955

Scotland had a tribal government until the Reformation. It was a real country for like 100 years before the Act of Union.
>>
>>419156
one of those weapons has a penis
>>
>>419080
Not iron as far as I know. Copper and bronze (plus other precious metals, but that was common among all civilized and not so civilized native americans).
>>
>>420608
All of them are penis-weapons.
>>
>>415085
Solingen trade blade.
>>
>>418975
More like 2000+ years, considering the Axumite Empire. However there was a lull for a few hundreds years between that and the Zagwe dynasty, and Ethiopia didn't reach that level of centralization of the old empire again until the late 19th century.
>>
File: 5767745206.jpg (221 KB, 1024x716) Image search: [Google]
5767745206.jpg
221 KB, 1024x716
>>415085
Is that a Beja sword?
>>
>>420437
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
>>
>>415236
Not gona lie
keks were had "muhfuga"
>>
Round about the same time as the Briton genocide myth, the Black Legend, the Roman superiority myth, the Islamic science myth and the Black Moors myth dies.
>>
>>415085
Most places were until the 1500s, the rich and their armies always had good weaponry. This isnt a meme its a fact of nature.
>>
>>415085
>le "Islam is 100% pure African" meme
>>
>>423934
Incorrect
>>
>>415139
>Colonialism brought stabilization, but completely failed to set down the foundations for any kind of functioning societies.
U fucking wot m8? Colonialism transformed most of Africa from the literal stone age to something approaching a first-world standard in a few decades, then the Africans decided that they could do a better job running things than whitey and promptly ran everything they touched into the ground.
>>
>>423980
>from the literal stone age
spicy menes
>>
>>423979
What, lots of places still used stone tools because of an inability to acquire or insufficient access to iron or metalworking. Stone was still a highly used tool in times of need because most people can work it into tools. It wasnt highly used it was a backup option.
>>
>>424012
Well tribalistic society to a more westernized one. You know something useful
>>
>>419157

Calling bullshit on this.

First, define a 'tribal government', second, a real country, third, explain why Scotland was the former and not the latter.
>>
>>424025
Where there were Bantu there was metal, that is fact. The entire Bantu expansion is based on metal working. We know Katanga, Zambia and other copper belts and all of the Sahel used mines and that metal "batons" we're forms of currency that were made into tools, religious objects and regalia.

The only exception is a small island population that expanded out earlier than the main expansions.

We even have records of tinsmith Khoi in Mozambique
>>
>>415085
Why do people deliberately set up threads that invite shitposting?

We're supposed to be better then that, the other people who lack a board for their interests look up to us because if we are successful then that will pave the way for them to get their own board. We are an inspiration for others and we should strive set the example for others.
>>
>>424027
Lol the colonies were utter shit.
It took powers a fuck ton of begging to get people to come over. Algeria was the exception because climate wise the coast was similar and it was so close.
>>
>>415085

>"They weren't in the Stone Age, they were in the Bronze Age!!"

:^)
>>
>>424140
They actually skipped that and went straight to Iron.

Also for x crafting material age you have to specify the location and time.
>>
>>424096
Doesn't change the fact that the end of apartheid led to destabilization and Fucked up everything set up.
>>
>>424157
Perhaps the National Party shouldn't have been such dicks and literally making hit worse for themselves? SA was a shithole back then too.
>>
>>424162
Not to nearly the extent as afterwards.
Look man there hasn't been any indication black can lead a prosperous nation in what? 600 years? I know day white devil can be blamed for a bit but not for 6 centuries of negligence
>>
>>419156
>JRPG weapon design.jpg
>>
>>424166
...you think decolonization happened 600 years ago?
>>
>>415217
Time period?
Could they have become in contact with the Portuguese at this time?
Most certainly in trade with Arabs.
>>
>>415140
>>415216
>>418481
>being this triggered
>>
>>415316
lurk moar faggot
>>
>>415316
Dank memes driven by the insular echochamber of turboautists and self-loathing black cuckold pornography fanclub that is /pol/ who have genuinely convinced themselves that negrocentrists pose a real threat to academia, and have taken it upon themselves to defend what they see as their rightful colony of /his/ against the make believe forces of revisionist african-american academia by shitposting any thread on the civilisations and peoples of sub-Saharan Africa into oblivion.
>>
>>424086
It's a historical error that many people make and should be correcting.
>>
>>424277
Well said.
>>
>>424277
This reminds me of the greek city states trying to setup colonies around the Mediterranean. Competing ideologies/city states vying for lands (/his/)
>>
>>420608
Duh
it increases effectiveness
>>
>>415085
But in stone age, internal tribal resource distribution had been more fair with compare with the Europe in the feudal/serf age.
So, you could pick your a big black cock back into your pants and be happy.
>>
>>415316
Because the people that actually go WE WUZ KINGS are annoying as fuck
>>
>>415085
When Europeans decline heavily because of their own shit.
>>
>>426879
I've never encountered one off of 4chan.

Not.
A.
One.
>>
>>424096
The French settling in Algeria was influenced quite a bit by "muh impending Malthusian catastrophe" so they were trying to find land to keep France itself from becoming overpopulated at a point where ironically France's birthrate had to declined to the point where that was an issue in the other direction because the populations of Germany and Britain exploded during that period and overtook France in that regard (with Britain surpassing France despite dump trucking colonists into Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa).
>>
>>426575
Fuck them just post a collection of credible links or a pastebin that contains said links and citations of academic books and research and sage/report. Why should you fucking waste your time correcting a bunch of people who have no desire to learn?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink it.
>>
>>423301
I wonder if they fought like I.33?
>>
>>427676
Not that guy but that's why I quit.

On /pol/ I extensively researched and posted a bunch of primary sources on pre-colonial africa and the response I got was "LIES! JEWISH LIES! I bet you like to watch black guys fuck your wife too!"

These people already have their minds made up
>>
>>415085
When the Roman Republic was slowly turning into an Empire, sub-Saharan Africans were finally discovering iron
>>
>>415140
But friend he's right.
>>
>>428671
lol no.
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.