[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which of these theories is more plausible? Would Jesus be white
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16
File: 20151214_072206.jpg (1004 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
20151214_072206.jpg
1004 KB, 1440x1440
Which of these theories is more plausible? Would Jesus be white by our standards today?
>>
>>409692
Why does that picture only shows Levantines who are descendants of ""whites"" also?
No, Jesus was in no way a white. He was a Sami, simple as that.
>>
>>409692
Depends on what you consider white
>>
>>409692
Well, by old 19th Century racial theories, Middle-Eastern Semites were Caucasian and therefore technically white. But most people don't consider them white, so he wouldn't be by our standards today; he'd be brown.
>>
File: ChristPeterPaul.jpg (30 KB, 400x420) Image search: [Google]
ChristPeterPaul.jpg
30 KB, 400x420
That depiction of Jesus is inaccurate with scripture. Not to mention early depictions of him show him as darker than those around him.

I'm not tryna go full 'we wuz kangz', but odds are Jesus had quite a bit of African blood in him.
>>
>>410700
>I'm not tryna go full 'we wuz kangz'
>goes full "we wuz kangz" anyways
>>
>>410700
Or he was just a Sephardi Jew that spent a lot of time outside, compared to dem urban folks and those foreigners that were occupying Judea.
>>
File: jesse.jpg (118 KB, 1088x1200) Image search: [Google]
jesse.jpg
118 KB, 1088x1200
>>409692
Wait, you must mean Jesse Kristofferson. He was as white as the new-fallen snow.
>>
>>409692
On the right, obviously. Especially first century Palestine, which was occupied by Romans, and had been settled by Greeks for quite a while, not to mention that Jesus' lineage came from that area and north-east of the Levant.
Can't speak for how tanned people were back then, but certainly more white than most there now.
>>
>>409692
prolly looks like modern day palestinians.
>>
>>409692
holy shit this is sad
>WE WUZ HOLY
>>
File: gold.jpg (60 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
gold.jpg
60 KB, 500x480
ITT: People with tenuous grasp on reality argue with each other about whether Goldilocks was a blonde or a brunette
>>
>>409692
First, there is ZERO evidence to suggest that "Jesus" was anything other than a fictional character.

Second, fuck no, he wouldn't be white, he'd be a sand person just like all the other sand people born in that part of the world.
>>
>>409692

m8

think for a secound about where he was born

where the bible take place

both testaments

There's absolutely no way in hell anyone in the bible was in any way white by todays standard.
>>
>>409692
King Abdullah is half-English and Turks are levantine. I'd also bet that Asma Assad has some French ancestry though I don't know for sure.
>>
>>412093
aren't*** levatine
>>
We literally don't know what skin color he had. There's jack shit.

And anyone saying "well, Levant is where everyone is brown" is a fucking retard who's clearly never been there.

We just don't know and we might never know.
>>
>>411947
arguing hypotheticals like this is literally the foundation of western philosophy.
>>
>>412022
both Joesphus and Tacitus wrote about Jesus and in general point to the highlights of the new testament (rabbi rabble-rouses and causes a controversy in the temple, gets himself executed)
>>
>>412022
>a coastal province that offers a variety of Jews, Greeks, Latins, Samaritans, Idumeans and fuck knows who else
>EVERYONE THERE IS A SANDNIGGER

You're beyond retarded.
>>
>>412126

Arguing with creatheists is a waste of time, IMO. You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.
>>
Most Jews weren't Ashkenazi before the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD, so probably tan-light brownish.

But there's no description of what he physically looks like in the New Testament, so I doubt it was supposed to matter.
>>
>>412145
Jews were already mixed years before there were any Ashkenazis. Even during the Hasmonean rule they assimilated a lot of Edomites from the south, the Herodian dynasty descends from them for example.

It would honestly be crazy to think that a folk living on the trade crossroads of civilizations would be racially homogenous.
>>
>>412126
First, Josephus and Tacitus were both born after the supposed death of "Jesus". Second, there is as much evidence to support the theory that "Jesus" was little more than a Roman propaganda creation designed to pacify the militant messianic Jews, as much as there is for any of the other claims made about him.

Most of the attributes and events assigned to "Jesus" are similar to the conquests attributed to Titus during his campaign to pacify Judea for Rome. Examine the histories told by Josephus with the "new testaments" about "Jesus", and the similarities are beyond coincidence.

>>412142

You're right, maybe "Jesus" was a black man?
>>
>>412190
We don't know what color he was, how loudly do I have to repeat it before you get it?

Moreover you saying he didn't exist but then postulating what would be his race if he existed is cyclopean idiocy.
>>
>>412190

senpai this isn't even good mythicism. This is the retard version of mythicism. Go read Richard Carrier if you want to be taken seriously as a mythicist.
>>
Jesus is a conceptual, fictional character. Hence, he can be whatever color you want him to be.
>>
>>412249
JESUS WASN'T FICTIONAL YOU FEDORA TIPPING WASTE OF SPACE VIRGIN FAILURE FUCK YOU
>>
>Arguing about Christ's colour
>When there is not even evidence he existed
New level of autism
>>
>>412022
>>412190

>>412190
>>412022

>being this autistic

How do you consider yourself a historian? The evidence for a historical Jesus is satisfying for its given time period. Before the printing press, most written historical sources come from these kinds of long, narratives like Tacitus or Josephus. They're more or less reliable, and questioning them tot he degree you fedora tipping idiots do shows your lack of knowledge on how history was recorded.
>>
>>410700
>tan skin
>african no matter what, don't even try arguing racist whitey
>>
>>412190
>Second, there is as much evidence to support the theory that "Jesus" was little more than a Roman propaganda creation designed to pacify the militant messianic Jews

Not, actually not.
>>
File: 1450078500390.jpg (160 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1450078500390.jpg
160 KB, 640x480
>>412261
>>
File: Alpha male.jpg (184 KB, 468x423) Image search: [Google]
Alpha male.jpg
184 KB, 468x423
>Board spends half of its time making fun of niggers who say everyone is black
>Board spends other half of its time nigging out whenever someone suggests some one who probably wasn't white wasn't white
>Crawling with Americans who think black and white are actual ethnicities because their own gene pools have been shit in so many times

Thanks for this blessing, Hiro.
>>
>>410700
>with scripture

Pull out verses that describe his appearance I double fucking dare you. And I mean him as a man, not the 2nd coming shit in revelation when he takes a different form.
>>
>>412266
The invisible unicorn is obviously purple bro.
>>
>>412308
This is what ancient Jews looked like.
>>
>>412359
Samaritans are per definition not Jews. Jews are the descendants of Judah.
>>
>>412359
>Jews
>White
Common core in action
>>
>>412289
There is ZERO mention of "Jesus" in ANY contemporary text. Nothing from the Jews. Nothing from the Romans. Nothing that can be dated to the time that he was alive. EVERYTHING we know about this dude comes from sources that existed AFTER his supposed death.

Seems kind of odd, don't you think? After all, he was supposed to have been a preacher, and a miracle worker, and even to have been resurrected from the dead, and yet there is NO mention of the motherfucker during his lifetime.

That's because he didn't exist.
>>
>>412022
Christian false flag poster detected. Nobody believes that Jesus didn't exist, not even Atheists like me.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoA63WunEJ0
>>
>>412373
Epistles and Gospels m8.
>>
>>412371
>>412372
Ancient Jews still exist in Israel (about 600 of them).

They are called Samaritans, a sect of Judaism which has preserved its ancient roots, opposite of Orthodox Judaism, which was codified after Islam.

DNA ancient suggests Samaritans have ancient ties to the land. The accounts of Jesus' suggest that he was possibly Samaritan, or at least thought well of them (parable of The Good Samaritan).

There's no reason to presume Jesus looked the way some dude in NYC with photoshop decides to paint him.
>>
File: white.png (193 KB, 313x292) Image search: [Google]
white.png
193 KB, 313x292
>>412396
Where were they from originally? Argentinastan?
>>
>>412261
You seems upset

>>412299
Jesus predicts his comeback as the Son of Man. Signs of his coming: sack of Galilean countryside, encirclement of Jerusalem by a wall, complete destruction of Jerusalem and its Temple (hereby replaced by yours truly, Jesus Christ)

Here comes Titus Flavius Vespasianus
Sent by his Father (who has the very same name) to do His Works. Ravage Galilean countryside. He literally fish men out of the sea of Galilee. He encircle Jerusalem with a wall (typical roman besieging technique) and then he completely destroys the city and its Temple. The compulsory Jewish Temple tax is then replaced by the Fiscus Judaicus, a personal tax paid to Caesar.

Titus Flavius Vespasianus is the Son of Man, Jesus Christ, Son of God the Father, the Divine Vespasian.
Read Flavius Josephus, aka the GOAT prankster. Both him and Jesus in the NT insists on the validity of Daniel prophecies, for obvious political reasons
pic related: the god you worship.
>>
File: F130424ZEL002-635x357.jpg (58 KB, 635x357) Image search: [Google]
F130424ZEL002-635x357.jpg
58 KB, 635x357
>>412403
They never left Palestine and never adopted false doctrines.
>>
>>412371
>Bible genealogy is fact

I can't even tell who's trolling now. It's pretty fucking likely that some offshoot jews that have been living in Judea for centuries might be ethnically related to the jews of the Herodian kingdom.
>>
>>412377
>Calls himself an atheist
>Doesnt doubt the existence of a mythical figure that's only mentioned several decades after its supposed death by people who were not born yet
You surely have a very strong FAITH towards Jesus for an atheist,who's the false flagger here ?
>>
>>412396
Samaritans cannot be Jewish. Houses of Judah and Benjamin lived in the Kingdom of Judah and became "Jews" after returning from Babylonian captivity. Samaritans likely descend from the northern Kingdom Israel which was razed to the ground by Assyrians. So technically they could be called cousins of the Jews, but they can't be called Jewish.
>>
File: sadaqa.jpg (118 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sadaqa.jpg
118 KB, 640x480
>>412422
> b-but muh worldview!

Samaritans are nothing if not Jewish.
>>
>>412389

None of which are dated to the time of the supposed "Christ".
>>
File: IsraelTsedka2000.jpg (49 KB, 377x577) Image search: [Google]
IsraelTsedka2000.jpg
49 KB, 377x577
Ancient Israelites...
>>
>>412424
Jew is not a synonym of Israelite you monumental imbecile.
>>
>>412405

THIS.
>>
>>412373
>Seems kind of odd, don't you think?
Not really.

> After all, he was supposed to have been a preacher, and a miracle worker, and even to have been resurrected from the dead,

All of those were fairly common during that era of late second temple judaism. Apocalyptic preachers, miracle workers, and messiahs were all over the place. Jesus's only standout claim is resurrection, and that's a fairly arguable point, because there's evidence that a resurrection was a late addition to scripture (Mark didn't originally include it), other preachers had followers post-death, and resurrection was frequently a metaphorical term.

There's honestly no reason to think that Jesus didn't exist. He fits the time exceedingly well, and would have been just one of tons of other people saying similar things.
>>
File: MASH-Klinger[1].jpg (39 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
MASH-Klinger[1].jpg
39 KB, 720x480
he probably looked like this.
>>
File: 176_p94.jpg (38 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
176_p94.jpg
38 KB, 500x333
>>412434
Stop oppressing Samaritans.

Learn to use a comma, you monumental imbecile.
>>
>>412377
Atheist false flag detected
>>
>>412440
>There's honestly no reason to think that Jesus didn't exist.
Except the complete lack of evidence that is.
>He fits the time exceedingly well,
>pro-roman messianic Jew
>fits the time well
You're funny mr. apologist
>>
>>412455
Oppressing? I like them way more than I do Jews. The fact you're equating the two only proves how illiterate you are about biblical genealogies, which doesn't surprise at all.
>>
It doesnt matter what he looked like. What mattered what was he spoke about
>>
>>410700
DAZ RITE
>>
>>412460
>Except the complete lack of evidence that is.

Do you seriously think that any records would exist of some randon apocalyptic preacher, when the Romans didn't give as shit about Jews, and there were tons of people like him? Really, there wouldn't be any records. And his mention is Josephus in important, because it's the only reason we still have copies of Josephus.

>>pro-roman messianic Jew

What are you talking about? Jesus's message was very anti-Roman. The four main cultural values in Roman society were purity, honor, patronage, and kinship, and Jesus subverted all of those. People with low social value could be pure because of belief, honor wasn't a matter of power with him, he was fine with being subservient to patrons, and kinship to him was based on community beliefs and not the prestige of relatives. His entire message was against Roman values, which is why people with little value in Roman society (poor people, the infirm, and women) were the first to convert and built Christian communities.
>>
>>412497
This, the man spoke unequaled amounts of wisdom.
>Through excessive observance of Orthodox tradition, we excuse ourselves from completing God's highest command that we should help and love others.
>"Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will happen. "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."
>I've been sent only for the lost sheep of Israel, it's not right to throw the children's food away to the dogs.
>Whoever doesn't receive you nor hear your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake off the dust from your feet. Most certainly I tell you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city.
>>
>>409692
None of the pics in that pic are irrepresentative of the Levant. Most Levantines are lighter than that depiction of Jesus, but darker than Asma Al-Assad.
>>
>>412608
I don't even know why that bearded fat guy came to represent Jesus. It's literally just a facial reconstruction of some random guy they dug up in Palestine.

It's like me pulling a skeleton from a random German grave and screaming THIS IS HITLER!
>>
>>412639
>I don't even know why that bearded fat guy came to represent Jesus.
It only represents Jesus to pseudo-intellectual liberals who want to diminish the historical achievements of light-skinned peoples.
>>
File: Titus.jpg (63 KB, 424x615) Image search: [Google]
Titus.jpg
63 KB, 424x615
>>412517
>Do you seriously think that any records would exist of some randon apocalyptic preacher
Why yes. More mundane shit has been recorded
>>412517
>when the Romans didn't give as shit about Jews
Completely false.
>>412517
>there were tons of people like him
Yeah, there are tons of people around declaring they're the Son of God, I can't get anywhere without stepping into one.
>>412517
>Jesus's message was very anti-Roman
>When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
Praising a soldier occupying his homeland is exactly what a messianic Jew wouldn't do.
>Render unto Caesar
Pay tax to the Roman governement? Exactly what Judas the Galilean and his messianic posse resisted.>>412517
>His entire message was against Roman values
I said that Jesus preaches a pro-roman message, not roman values. You're deliberately deforming my point. Also, the Roman values you named are the traditional ones. Roman society was very much in mutation and far away from the ideal you describe.
>>412517
>why people with little value in Roman society were the first to convert and built Christian communities.
Yeah, poor unenviable people like Titus Flavius Clemens, Saint Flavia Domitilla, Saint Petronilla, members of the ruling imperial dynasty. Very downtrodden. The very first christian graveyard (and material proof of the very existence of Christianity) shows that the first (documented) Christians were Romans of the patrician class(and their client network) Your Paupers' Christianity is a complete fabrication. It is, it was, and it will continue to be about political control of the masses too dumb to take its message on a second degree basis
>>
>>409692
He was a descendent of David. He would have looked like a Jew because he was a Jew.
>>
>>412190
>First, Josephus and Tacitus were both born after the supposed death of "Jesus".
Literally 99% of sources from the ancient world were written after the death of the figures they were about. The only ones that aren't are autobiographies.

Most substantial information we have about Alexander the Great was written 400 years after he died. In the case of Jesus it's 60 years
>>
>>413730
>Literally 99% of sources from the ancient world were written after the death of the figures they were about.

Which is why they shouldn't be considered credible, unless the information can be corroborated by multiple sources.
>>
WE WUZ GODZ AND KINGZ
>>
>>412419

Hey, I don't know if Jesus existed or not, but the lack of contemporary sources for him is not an obstacle to the belief in many other historical figures.

There are no contemporary sources for Alexander the Great, either, but everyone pretty much agrees he was real. And the earliest mention of him came from significantly later after the fact than the earliest mention of Jesus.
>>
>>409692
The image there looks like Harry H. Corbett in Jabberwocky. So, very white for me.

t. South East Asian.
>>
nope

nor would he be considered black in case you are wondering
>>
>>413884
Well considering that his generals; who certainly know he existed carved his conquests into kingdoms. Not to mention the numerous secondary sources that cite the primary ones. He is also documented by the poeple he conquered. His evidences is much much stronger the the legend of jesus.
>>
>>412396
>>412403
>>412416
>>412424
>>412430

These pictures are fascinating. It's like looking through a time machine.
>>
>>413884
>There are no contemporary sources for Alexander the Great, either, but everyone pretty much agrees he was real. And the earliest mention of him came from significantly later after the fact than the earliest mention of Jesus.

That's ridiculous, anon.

Evidence supporting the existence of Alexander can be traced from the earliest Macedonian conquests in Greece itself, to his armies conquests throughout Asia and Africa. Multiple sources from multiple nations documented the battles against him and his Greeks.
>>
>>410716
There were no sefardi jews wtf...That happend later after israel was kaput.
>>
>>413884
>There are no contemporary sources for Alexander the Great

Just stop. There are coins and epigraphical evidence from his own lifetime.

>And the earliest mention of him came from significantly later after the fact than the earliest mention of Jesus.

The earliest mention of Alexander even in literary sources was from his own lifetime. Later historians made use of those sources and mention them by name. The only comparable sources for Jesus are the...Gospels which aren't even an attempt at "history".

Note that this isn't an attempt at dismissing historicity. The comparison is just wrong.
>>
>>413730
>Most substantial information we have about Alexander the Great was written 400 years after he died. In the case of Jesus it's 60 years

There's no substantial information about Jesus by any means. Critical scholarship agrees on only a few, basic facts about him at best.

Also, see >>414306. These comparisons need to die.
>>
>>414306
There are coins ATTRIBUTED TO HIM. Without assuming Alexander existed, there's no reason to attribute the coins to him.

>Gospels which aren't even an attempt at "history".
Really? The Gospels don't attempt to describe a sequence of events, as the authors believe they are true?

What are they then?
>>
>>410700
WE
>>
>>409692
If arabs and mizrahi jews are white, jesus would be white, even if he did look like the dude on the left, which doesn't even look like he's from a different ethnicity than the people on the right (you think you're smart for only taking white-haired old dudes? Find me a proper blond arab, then we'll talk).

Apart from that, if you think it matters wether or not jesus was white, you really, really suck at being a christian.
>>
>>414338
>There are coins ATTRIBUTED TO HIM. Without assuming Alexander existed, there's no reason to attribute the coins to him.

Groan. All the different pieces of evidence combined supports and strengthens each other. It isn't like we have just one or the other. We have securely-dated coins and epigraphy referring to specific events from both the Greek and the Persian world and contemporary literary sources that survive in later accounts etc.

>Really? The Gospels don't attempt to describe a sequence of events, as the authors believe they are true?

They aren't mere attempts at history. They are accounts of theological significance, as well, that also draw from various other sources for the frequently, deliberately made-up events they describe.
>>
>>414306

So you trust one secondary source who claims to have a primary source that is no longer extant ... but not the other
>>
>>414394
What other? What could you even be referring to?
>>
To know how Jebus looked like visit southern Italy.

PALESTINA ITALIA UNA FACCIA UNA RAZZA
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.