[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did he mean by this, /his/ ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: Charles V.jpg (56 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
Charles V.jpg
56 KB, 850x400
What did he mean by this, /his/ ?
>>
>>407865
That Germans fuck horses
>>
>>407865
God is a beaner.
>>
>>407865
Charlie V was a cheeky cunt
I thought he was Flemish?
>>
>>407877
The gardener of Eden.
>>
German language is only worth for speaking with animals
>>
>>407865
Who cares what he meant by it?

The fact is that six centuries after he said it Spaniards, Italians, French people, and Germans will all read that quote in English.
>>
>>407883

5 star post
>>
>>407901
damn
>>
File: Nietzsche.gif (1 MB, 1274x955) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche.gif
1 MB, 1274x955
>>407865
"I UNDERSTAND YOU!"
>>
>>407883
holy fuck that's great
>>
>>407865
Spanish was the language of religion
Italian was the language of love
French was the language of war/diplomacy
German was irrelevant horse shit

Quite easy to understand when you know a little about Europe back then
>>
>>407865
twilight sparkle is best pony
t. Charles v
>>
>>407901
Fucking Americans making English relevant after WW2 with their Hollywood bullshits I swear!
>>
>>408023
>implying English wasn't relevant when Britain ruled 1/4 of the world

That aside, it was the proliferation of the internet that really cemented English as the international language that everyone will end up using.
>>
File: 1448589600762.jpg (42 KB, 500x591) Image search: [Google]
1448589600762.jpg
42 KB, 500x591
>>408015
>>
>>407901
Non-anglos BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>407865
>It is said that Charles spoke several vernacular languages: he was fluent in French, and Flemish, later adding an acceptable Castilian Spanish (which Charles called the "divine language"[10]) required by the Castilian Cortes Generales as a condition for becoming King of Castile. He also gained a decent command of German (in which he was not fluent prior to his election), though he never spoke it as well as French.[11] A witticism sometimes attributed to Charles is: "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men and German to my horse." A variant of the quote is attributed to him by Swift in his 1726 Gulliver's Travels, but there are many other variants and it is often attributed instead to Frederick the Great.[12]
>>408015
You are awful.
>>
>>407901
Joke's on you. I originally read it in Spanish
>>
the spanish have a reputation for being zealous
the italians have a reputation for romance
the germans have a reputation for being disciplined and orderly

I think the french had a reputation for being macho or inspiring
>>
>>408053
>implying English wasn't relevant when Britain ruled 1/4 of the world

It really wasnt outside of the British Empire

>French replaced Latin as the most important language of diplomacy and international relations (lingua franca) in the 17th century. It retained this role until approximately the middle of the 20th century, when it was replaced by English as the United States became the dominant global power following the Second World War.[40][41]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language#History

There's a reason why at the height of the British Empire, German diplomats adressed to British ones in French ("chiffon de papier").
Literally no one spoke English outside of British colonies and the US.
>>
he wants to fuck german horses
>>
>>408092
jokes on you: Charles V lived five centuries ago.

I said six.
>>
>>407865
Even back then, the only transportation worth having was German.
>>
>>408122

The British Empire is precise what maintained French as the language of diplomacy. The British aristocracy have always marked themselves out from the general population by an ability to speak French. British public (i.e. private) schools traditionally placed a heavy emphasis on French, Latin and Greek. Given the dominance of public school educated British elite in the diplomatic field, they carried this same attitude with them into international diplomacy. Nobody has cared what France does since Napoleon I. The idea that the world maintained French as the language of diplomacy because of such a pointless country is ludicrous.
>>
File: topkek.gif (2 MB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
topkek.gif
2 MB, 384x216
>>408186
>>
>>408122
simply because it took second place to French, doesn't mean English was irrelevant.
>>
>>407901
Wow, rekt
>>
File: Charles Le Grand.jpg (269 KB, 1248x1719) Image search: [Google]
Charles Le Grand.jpg
269 KB, 1248x1719
>>407865
it was a multicultural empire as god intended

full of white people
>>
>>407865
>tfw there are people who are fluent in not just one but four (4) languages
>>
>>408262
>tfw only three
Might as well kill myself desu
>>
I speak Hindi to ..... ?
>>
>>408262
It's not that hard if you learn languages from the same family and English which is piss easy.
It's easier to know 4 Latin languages for an Italian than it is for him to know Japanese.
>>
>>407865

Assbergers
>>
>>408112
>the germans have a reputation for being disciplined and orderly

That's 19th century stereotype, during Charles' time Germans were perceived as disorganized dumbasses who liked to beat each other up.
>>
File: DESIGNATED SHITTING STREETS.png (10 KB, 232x519) Image search: [Google]
DESIGNATED SHITTING STREETS.png
10 KB, 232x519
>>408303
Your rape victim.

Alternate answer: People on the street while you're taking a dump.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.