[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>england had the biggest empire in history how do we stop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9
File: 1449965962753.png (477 KB, 886x2414) Image search: [Google]
1449965962753.png
477 KB, 886x2414
>england had the biggest empire in history

how do we stop this meme
>>
>>407732
winniepedia says the closest to them were the mongols
>>
>>407821
>when the sun never sets on your empire

The same could be said for the Spanish or Portuguese empires.
>>
>>407821
B-b-but the parts that make it bigger than my shitty barbaric homeland's former empire don't count
t. Non-anglo (aka nigger)
>>
File: Continued laughter.jpg (176 KB, 1800x1325) Image search: [Google]
Continued laughter.jpg
176 KB, 1800x1325
>Italy
>>
File: 1450064070756.png (505 KB, 886x2414) Image search: [Google]
1450064070756.png
505 KB, 886x2414
>>
>>407732
But they did
The meme/bullshit is to claim they had the greatest (=/= largest) one
Your pic proves it by displaying a bunch of empire greater (more glorious) than the collection of backward shitholes that was the British Empire
>>
It is not a meme, it is the largest in history. The "greatest" or more "influential" is open to debate but the british empire is the largest in territory.
>>
>>408484
We've still got a lot of soft power because of it. That and I doubt many French have stickers of Nazi Germany on their car.
>>
Britain defeated the other European powers for their global empire. France for example was kicked out by Britain like a little bitch from India and chunks of America. So its YOU op who has to stop with this "meme".
>>
>empires which lasted hundreds of years
>suddenly, germany and france
>>
When did Britain become an empire?
>>
File: empires.png (158 KB, 2548x1284) Image search: [Google]
empires.png
158 KB, 2548x1284
>>
>>408907
>Steal French Colonies while they were busy with other European powers
>WE WUZ EMPIRE AND SHEIT
>>
>>408930
Im a swede and thats just pathetic, just like the "Swedish Viking Empire"
>>
>>407732

>w-we never wanted those colonies anyways!
>>
>>408934
>Im a swede

I'm sorry to hear that
>>
>>408940
me too
>>
Colonial empires are always consolation prizes for countries that can't make it in Europe. You'll notice countries always started looking for colonies only once they had become incapable of expanding on the continent. England was just especially incapable at that.
>>
>>408942
England was also the only one to .ake colonials that were really profitable
>>
>France
>Germany

>"empires" that hold those territories for 15~ years

I am laffin
>>
>>407732
>england
>how do we stop this meme
by learning what the union is
>>
>>408959
France had a colonial Empire and Navy far better than what England had. We are renowned around the world for our glorious past and history. England was never respected like we were.
>>
>>408963

>this delusion
>we was respected

literally means nothing.
>>
>>408963
This is true.

t. not French
>>
>>408959
Maps are misleading.

Some countries created by France:
- Italy
- Portugal
- Spain
- Germany
- USA
- England

Some countries created by England:
- Sudan
- Pakistan
- Burma
- Iraq
- Zimbabwe
>>
File: 1448560680163.jpg (39 KB, 601x451) Image search: [Google]
1448560680163.jpg
39 KB, 601x451
>>408963
>>
>>408978

>The French are so humiliated by their liberation by Allied forces they have to make up myths about their history

How does one race of people become such an utter embarrassment?
>>
>>408942
Spain at one point had hegemony over both the Americas and Europe untill France kicked their shit in
>>
>>407732
If you want to fight the british memempire you should adjust your maps.
They didnt control all of those painted lands, just a few ports.
What they did was demand tribute by the actual rulers of the places, by having armed men sitting next to them and threatening them.
All of the actual rulers did whatever the fuck they wanted, the africans kept trading slaves despite british laws, the chinese kept passing their own laws spitting on the empire, and even the indians had basically several sovereign states going on, despite the political illusion of a unified India under Britain.
And I wont even mention that much of that land and influence was at the hand of privately held companies, not the british government. No, collecting tax from a company doesnt mean you own their enterprises.

If you've seen a map of the "dutch empire", with little dots all over the world, thats what the british empire was.
>>
>>409056
Spain had a pretty neat empire tbqh
>>
>>407732
The issue with this map is that a lot of that land wasn't taken from the natives, much of it was taken from other Europeans who had already taken those lands from the natives. Quebec from the French, New Amsterdam and South Africa from the Netherlands, Florida and the Carribean from Spain, parts of India from France, parts of Africa from Germany, etc.
>>
>implying
>>
>>408986
>French
>one race
Damn, how can people be this retarded.
>>
>>407732
better question, spain and poortugad a good 100 years of a head start at colonising the Americas, how did they fuck up so hard?
>>
>>409112
>Spain
All being said in one word m8, spaniards are masters at doing things wrong.
>>
>>408986
>>
>>409112

What do you mean?
They were the ones that ruled most of the New World.
>>
>>409174
they're among the worst countries of Europe now
>>
>>409186

Which means that they are among the best countreis in the world.
>>
>>409112

As far as Spain is concerned, they basically watched helplessly as England and France sponsored piracy of their valuable "treasure fleets", essentially cutting themselves slices of the New World pie without having to lift a single finger toward the difficult and expensive task of colonising the more valuable but considerably more dangerous jungles of South and Central America.

Once they finally decided they'd had enough of that shit, the Spaniards spent all their remaining dough (to the point of taking on massive debts) on constructing an enormous, "unsinkable" fleet of top-of-the-range ships, pointed it directly at the English capital... before it was completely and utterly annihilated by a storm.

From that point onwards, Spain was broken and eclipsed by the other European great powers, despite their colonial holdings looking a lot more valuable on paper.

Portugal I can't explain, but they were always kind of Spain's bitch, so I can't imagine that a state of abject poverty in the other 3/4 of the Iberian peninsula was much good for their empire.
>>
>>407732

you seems upset, my Mongolian friend.
>>
File: 1426865600359.png (56 KB, 1068x1112) Image search: [Google]
1426865600359.png
56 KB, 1068x1112
>this thread

I thought 12 year old tier /muh daddy is bigger than your daddy/ wankery was reserved mostly for /int/?
>>
>>407732
The only impressive empire's there are the British and Roman empires

Germany and France both got BTFO before they could consoldate any of that. Spain was just inherited by a Habsburg king, he didn't conquer any of that.
>>
>>409271
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how childish all this is.
>>
>>409228
Portugal was more of a bitch to England than to Spain, i think. When they finally got hands into some brazilian gold, it all went to England because of debts. They made some really awful economical treaties with the brits.
>>
>>408978
>Spain
>Portugal
>created by Frech keks
>literally were the first feudal monarchies to form a modern national state
>>
>>409228
You're giving too much iimportance to a naval defeat
The real stuff actually happened on mainland Europe, as usual

Spain got utterly BTFO by the French at Rocroi and forever lost its reputation as a feared great power.
Then the final blow was delivered by the Peninsular War that caused most of their empire to erupt into independence wars
>>
>>409228

Did you learn your history from a single movie?
>>
>>409228
>As far as Spain is concerned, they basically watched helplessly as England and France sponsored piracy of their valuable "treasure fleets"
that's a myth, the real piracy problem was in the mediterranean
>>
>>408978
>Some countries created by France:
>- Portugal
>- Spain

Nice bait, it got me to reply
>>
>>407732
France is Germanic. England is Germanic. Russia was ruled by German kings.

Germany had the biggest empire in history.
>>
>>409112
The objective of the spanish monarchy was evangelization. Individual profit was not forbidden, on the contrary, but the priority of the state was religious in nature both in the Old and the New World. The spanish monarchy spent all the money that wasn't lost due to corruption on churches and war. Spain had no friends or allies among the big powers of it's time, except for the Austrians who proved to be a deadweight that only dragged Spain into more conflicts and diverted it's attention and ressources. It doesn't help that the amount of precious metals from America caused a massive inflation, becoming almost worst than not having the colonies at all.
>>
All empires are a bit meme because what is important is if you have effective control over your claimed territory, and that's wasn't the case for most of their land.
>>
Spaniard here. To be fair, what is really impressive is that Spaniards manage to overextend so much with a population of maybe 6-8 milion in 1500-1600, while France had three times our population and England had twice our population.
>>
>>409228
Technically the defeat of the armada was only a setback. England had a similar armada defeated the next year.

Spain lost hegemony after losing a pivotal continental battle a few decades later iirc.
>>
File: 1416516873211.gif (2 MB, 448x324) Image search: [Google]
1416516873211.gif
2 MB, 448x324
>>407732

You need to replace England with Britain, other than that no you can't stop this meme because it is true.
>>
>>408963
>Navy far better than what England had

You're trolling, right? That was the continental French empire's biggest hamstring. Napoleon's was a master of armies, but his power stopped where the water was waist-deep. If the French navy was that great, it would've been the English holed up in a blockade on their island.
>>
>>408911
To be fair France before the revolution was a continental powerhouse. There is a reason so many massive coalitions worked together to try and defeat Louis XIV.
>>
>>409342
>>411106
You serious?

Spain grew out of the Marca Hispanica founded by Charlemagne, which was of course only possible because the Franks has stopped and beaten back the Muslims over the Pyrenees.

And Portugal was literally founded when a French guy became count of Portugal and then decided he wanted to be king instead of count.
>>
>>409056
And when did Spain start colonising?

Just as soon as it could no longer expand in Europe, since it had finished reconquering Iberia from the Muslims, and France was preventing any expansion to the North.

Colonies are always a second choice to continental expansion.
>>
>>409228

They tried to retain the Netherlands and also tried to stop the protestant heresy. Basically they go kucked by being the only fools to actually believe in the Trent Memecouncil.

Also they managed to hold a fifth of the earth inhabitable surface for 400 years despite being a poor and unpopulated country. Quite impressive
>>
>>414307
>Charlemagne

That cvck that got his shit pushed in Roncesvalles and did absolutely nothing in the Reconquista? Is that the cvck you're talking about? Yeah totally relevant
>>
>>414363
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marca_Hispanica
>>
>>414326
>when it could no longer expand in Europe

So what you're saying is Spain couldn't beat France. How does that make them any less shit than Britain?
>>
>>414307
> Charlemagne
>french
I've seen you fucking frogs repeat this meme several times. Charlemagne was NOT FRENCH REEEEEEEE
>>
>>414395
Huh?
>>
>>414397
Shut up Saxon scum.
>>
>>414401
One of the original points of this thread was that the British Empire was bullshit because the Brits chose to expand overseas (the "easy route") rather than undertaking the "glorious" task of conquering in continental Europe. Yet this guy's counter-example is Spain, who basically did the same thing (other than the Netherlands).
>>
>>414416
My only point is that colonial empires are overrated, since historically they were valued far lower than European land, and only ever pursued once countries had been cockblocked on the continent.
>>
>>407732
Reminder that only some Italians actually deserve to be considered true Romans. Dirty Samnite and Etruscan scum need not apply.
>>
File: 1373767446155.jpg (251 KB, 983x1013) Image search: [Google]
1373767446155.jpg
251 KB, 983x1013
>>408978
>Implying that the normans were french
>>
>>408978
>England
>implying the normans founded England
>>
>>414580
England was built over several stages, by William the Conqueror, by the Barons' War, by Edward III. But all those people were French.

England is a French colony, make dealings.
>>
>>408942
Britain never wanted to expand onto the continent, its foreign policy for centuries literally just consisted of "stop any European country becoming too big for its boots which could threaten the British Isles". In that it ultimately was one of the most successful European states in history.
>>
>>414626
>Britain never wanted to expand onto the continent
Top kek, yes it did, it just failed at it miserably and gave up after the Hundred Years War, although it took until the loss of Calais in 1558 for it to give up all hope.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.