[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hindu Sculpture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20151213_160527.jpg (281 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151213_160527.jpg
281 KB, 1200x1600
Hey /his/. so I have this figurine stucked in my drawers... and I just wanna know... does someone know who the sculpture is? or is imitating?

It may have indian roots... but not sure if hindu god/goddess or the buddha.
>>
>>402972
Its not guatama.
>>
P.s. my curiosity is killing me ;-;
>>
Oh, good to know.
>>
File: guan yin.jpg (411 KB, 1260x1674) Image search: [Google]
guan yin.jpg
411 KB, 1260x1674
Probably guan yin
>>
File: tara.jpg (16 KB, 320x283) Image search: [Google]
tara.jpg
16 KB, 320x283
Also known as Tara
>>
>>402996
Ooohhhhh, interesting. I never knew Buddhism had many gods and goddesses. /facepalm/
>>
>>403006
Tara and Guan Yin are same character and both are considered a female form of Avalokitesvara (all are same with different body/form)

Tara originates from the Indian goddess Tara(same name). Indian goddess is a goddess of wisdom. The name "tara" means star.
>>
>>403006
Guan Yin, also known as the compassionate bodhisatva of mercy.

And yes, outside of atheistic buddhisms, buddhism is filled with gods.
>>
File: image.jpg (981 KB, 1280x678) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
981 KB, 1280x678
Buddhism thread?
In this painting Guatama, in a previous birth as the ascetic Sumedha, receives his prediction of future Buddhahood from the Buddha Dīpaṃkara. This is one of the most popular stories from the Jātakas.

It seems that the popularity of this story and similar ones involving the prophecy of Shakyamuni's enlightenment influenced the authors of Mahāyana sutras. In the Lotus Sutra, for example, Shakyamuni spends considerable time vouchsafing the Buddhahood-to-come of Ānanda, Shariputra, and his son Rahula, among others. I believe the author of these chapters noticed the lack of Buddha-predictions in the earliest Buddhist texts, and reasoned backwards that if Guatama had received them from past Buddhas, he himself must have made predictions for his own disciples.
>>
>>403006
Root of Buddhism is Hinduism.

Early Buddhism was 'polytheist', in the sense one god many forms like Hinduism. Later on it changed.
>>
File: stock-photo---21072012---20784.jpg (117 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
stock-photo---21072012---20784.jpg
117 KB, 300x400
This is definately from Thailand. I'm Thai. My best guess is that it is a depiction of a เทวดา or angel
>>
>>404064
Stop your bullshit please.
>>
>>403078
you mean demons, cuz a god won't himself to have a tail or tits.
>>
>>404064
Buddhism is agnostic. The question of god is open ended
>>
>>405535
Don't spread the western nonsense. Buddhism/buddhists clearly affirm gods. They are however told not to worship them or expect them to help because the gods are part of cycle of life/rebirth.
>>
>>405625
Are you kidding me. Buddhism is a fucking diverse belief system. You can't generalise. Buddhism in Japan for example is just going to temples and giving money for good luck. Very different
>>
>>405820
Show me a Buddhist tradition that doesn't affirm gods.
>>
>>405875
Cha'an
>>
>>405820
Isn't that corrupted as fuck and barely recognizable?

Original Indian Buddhism certainly had gods or deities and so did in Indochina and Tibet.
>>
>>406792
Thats mahayana, and accepts all of mahayana.
>>
>>406856
And Cha'an is not mahayana and rejects all of mahayana.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.