[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lebanese Civil War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: lf.png (274 KB, 637x358) Image search: [Google]
lf.png
274 KB, 637x358
I'm from Balkans, and I'm interested in Lebanese Civil War for obvious reasons. It appears to be similar to conflicts we had here.
Can you tell me more? Why did it last so long, for start?
What was Israeli role in it?
>>
Download and watch Al Jazeera's "The War Of Lebanon" documentary
>>
>>401131
>Al Jazeera
How objective are they, honestly?
We have Al Jazeera Balkans here, and they are far from objective. They have some cool shows though.
>>
I love when someone has slightly faulty English and you can read their accent in their typing.

It's not a putdown, Yugobro, and I'm sorry I have nothing to say on the topic. Here's a bump to get someone else who does.
>>
>Why did it last so long, for start?

None of the factions had enough power to wipe out all the other ones. When this happens, the only way to stop the fighting is a peace deal that more or less leaves all of the local power players in place.

>What was Israeli role in it?

Like everyone else in the region, Israel backed people they liked and used it as an opportunity to push their own interests. When it became clear that the chaos in Lebanon could effect them, they invaded to get some delicious buffer space.
>>
>>401121
>carrying a cross

Based Lebanese Christians, why must the West ignore you so?
>>
>>401539
If we didn't fight each other so much, we would have been able to wipe out the rest.

I think it comes down to tribalism rather than religion, and what I hope as a Lebanese Maronite is that we can be a united force.

We would've been unstoppable but the strongest Maronite factions were opposing each other most of the time.
>>
>>401650
If not so many christian lebs had left the country in those past two centuries T.T
>>
>>401702
It's not so much us leaving as it is Muslims breeding. Contrary to what you might think about the Christian population in Lebanon, it is not only growing population wise, the Christian population is becoming more affluent and controlling of business and the economy.

It's a small country that's already very densely populated, it's really not as simple as more Christians moving back in. Mostly services and tourism based industry is not stable in the region, but it is profitable for Christians who own nightclubs and resorts.

I myself am diaspora and trust me we are preserving our culture in Australia just as well as they are in Lebanon, if not better.
>>
>>401650
>>401740

Were Lebanese Christians divided along sectarian lines?
I know there's more than just Maronites, but idk if that had any relevance to the war
>>
>>401749
Not really as much, a lot of Orthodox were Syrian Social Nationalist Party which is secular and the most powerful militias were the Maronite Phalange, Forces, Marada etc
>>
>>401771
Who's worse, Frangieh Jr, Samir Geagea or Michel Aoun?
>>
>>401749
The Christian sects rarely have violent issues. Christian is a more important identity than Maronite or catholic of Syriac. It was a left/right divide.

My grandmother emigrated a little while before the war.
>>
>>401150

Al Jazeera is pretty objective, but definitely has a slant towards a somewhat pro-Muslim, but mostly pro-Arab kind of narrative. They're formally funded by the Qatari government, but they also have a tendency to go rogue.

They're still leagues better than Western sensationalist media if that's what you're asking.

I give them credit for focusing on issues that most people in the West wouldn't give any shits about. They're less Eurocentric and manage to give better insight on the third world than a lot of Western news agencies.

The segments they give to little-known independent filmmakers and producers are cool too.
>>
>>401740
Hopefully you will be able to exterminate not just the Sunnis but also the outsiders who have turned Lebanon into a shithole, such as the Syrians and Palestinians.
>>
>>401150
They're not, especially when it comes to middle-east coverage.

They still aspire to intelligent coverage, which puts them pretty high in my books...but still...Qatar is shit.
>>
File: 1441126284329.png (19 KB, 460x356) Image search: [Google]
1441126284329.png
19 KB, 460x356
Even the peacekeeping force has some serious keks in it.

>The Republic of Fiji Military Forces (RFMF) were created when the United Nations invited the newly independent Fiji to send troops to serve in UNIFIL. The experience gained in Lebanon has enabled the RFMF to stage 4 coups d’état (1987, 1999–2000, 2006, and 2009) and to govern Fiji in a military dictatorship for over two decades.

The United Nations: We Can Do Literally Nothing Right.
>>
>>402564
I don't know what Al Jazeera america is like but Al Jazeera English is pretty good.

Al Jazeera arabic is supposedly pure trash but I don't speak it so I don't know.
>>
>>403816
Al Jazeera pushes the Mulim Brotherhood narrative. Which is especially evident in the cancerous arabic version. I'm from Iraq and no one there takes Al Jazeera seriously. The amount of bullshit, wrong commentary & disinfo they have spread since 2004 is mindblowing. But they are a rich and well-known media channel, so in the west they see them as reliable, because they have (muslim brotherhood) journalists everywhere. People in Iraq corroborate the news by checking all kinds of news channels during the day. No one is stupid enough to take the news at face value and not be critical about the sources.
>>
>>401121
>Maronite
1860 best year of my life
>>
File: NR0p69s.png (233 KB, 1538x2735) Image search: [Google]
NR0p69s.png
233 KB, 1538x2735
>>401150
>>402564
>>
>>403880
>http://www.ovguide.com/tv/the_war_of_lebanon.htm
I just started watching parts of this documentary due to another anon's suggestion. Is it trustworthy or just propaganda?

Also, what do Iraqis think of Israel?
>>
>>403932
The CNN is spot on. The chilean version of it has exactly the same issue.
>>
>>403805
Did you know that when Israeli helicopters launched Hellfires in Lebanon during the 1990s, a Fijian peackeeper unit actually retreived a dude and delivered it right to journalist Robert Fisk's apartment, just because Fisk wanted physical evidence of an attack?
>>
>>404021
Kurds are supportive or indifferent of Israeli's.
Pan-arabists despise Israeli's, shia's despise Israeli's.
>>
>>403880
A lot of Egyptians hate Al Jazeera and consider it a propaganda tool of the Americans.

America does have military bases in Qatar and a pretty solid relationship.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.