[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How were armoured cars used and deployed in WW1? From what I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: ww1-minerva-armoured-car[1].jpg (60 KB, 586x402) Image search: [Google]
ww1-minerva-armoured-car[1].jpg
60 KB, 586x402
How were armoured cars used and deployed in WW1? From what I imagine surely the terrain and the combat wouldn't really allow for these old cars to be driving around in.
>>
>>398833

Hey fuck you, you weren't there man. We tried our best, alright?
>>
>>398833
When Emperor Franz Josef was shown an armored car, he went "Such a thing would not have a military value."

Because
1) It was slower than a horse
2) It scared horses.
>>
Early tanks mostly got bogged down, but they were used largely like they are today; as cover for infantry and clearing mg nests and other entrenched positions.

Later they used to carry large hay bales to help tanks cross trenches.
>>
>>399307
At least a tracked tank could drive over trenches, barbed wire and other obstacles.

Surely any terrain a car can drive on the tanks would do it better? Especially the boggy, muddy, rough and shell hole marked ground of WW1 battlefields.
>>
>>399356

Tanks didn't exist for the early part of the war though.

Plus, they were so heavy that a lot of them broke down.
>>
>>398833
There were used in the Middle East and Africa to some effect. Here's a quote from T. E. Lawrence on their use during the Arab Revolt:

>On some occasions we strengthened tribal raids by armoured cars, manned by EngliShmen. Armoured cars, once they have found a possible track can keep up with a camel party. They are, however, cumbrous and shorter-ranged, because of the difficulty of carrying petrol. Therefore we seldom used them more than a hundred miles from home. On the march to Damascus, when we were nearly four hundred miles off our base, we first maintained them by a baggage train of petrol-laden camels, and afterwards by the help of the Air Force were able to give them further supplies by Handley-Page. Cars are magnificent fighting machines, and decisive whenever they can come into action on their own conditions. But though each has for main principle that of "fire in movement," yet the tactical employments of cars and
camel-corps are so different that I do not recommend their being used in joint operations, except in very special circumstances. We found it demoralizing to both, to use armoured and unarmoured cavalry together.
>>
>>398833
>How were armoured cars used and deployed in WW1?

They were used extensively on the Eastern Front in the later part of WWI and in the Russian Revolution and Polish-Soviet War.
>>
>>399306
>my emperor i have a new strategy
>let's instead of using horses
>charge at the enemy with hundreds of armored cars with pikes attached to the front
>what could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>399356
Even cold war tanks were not all tracked. Some had wheels, primarily recon tanks. Great Britain made one I think that stuck around for decades.

Also I'm not sure about armored cars but ww1 Era tanks were super crap and specialized and they remained specialized until the panzer blitzkrieg made people value versatility.

This Era saw tanks like the Matilda that was well armored and super slow, and a lot of french tanks were really fast but vulnerable to anything larger than small arms
>>
>>398833
Got used in the middle east and on the eastern front.

AKA areas where the warfare wasn't constrained to a small front.
>>
>>401193
>Even cold war tanks were not all tracked. Some had wheels, primarily recon tank

If it does not have tracks then it's not a tank, mate. But it doesn't mean a tracked military vehicle is a tank, tho.
>>
File: white_Model1918Haugh1.jpg (163 KB, 749x472) Image search: [Google]
white_Model1918Haugh1.jpg
163 KB, 749x472
dumping some pics. I think I have a book on ww1, which dwells on the use of armoured cars. I can try to dig it up desu baka lad senpai.
>>
File: rolls-royce-armored-car-01.png (91 KB, 580x358) Image search: [Google]
rolls-royce-armored-car-01.png
91 KB, 580x358
>>403610
>>
>>403611
>>
>>398833
As an alternative to cavalry. In the event of a breakthrough on the western front they would throw these into the mix to cause havoc in the rear areas. Probably where they came into their own was in 1918 where the front was particularly fluid. They were also extensively used on the eastern and middle-eastern fronts.
>>
>>399306
maybe he said that and maybe he didn't
but the horse scaring episode was a singular event that only led to the emperors displeasure and a single contract not being accepted
and the austrians used armored cars in ww1 just like pretty much everyone else
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.