[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cossacks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Cossack_Mamay_1890.jpg (171 KB, 800x856) Image search: [Google]
Cossack_Mamay_1890.jpg
171 KB, 800x856
Let's discuss Cossacks. Post stories, music, and comment on modern Cossacks emerging in Russia and Ukraine.
>>
File: 508692.jpg (262 KB, 750x527) Image search: [Google]
508692.jpg
262 KB, 750x527
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeyDfVjq6sw
>>
Cossack's are too underrated desu
>>
i know that you'll consider this question a bit dumb, but were the cossacks following islam or something?
>>
>>41223
No. They were Christian.
>>
can someone recommend a book about these guys? I want to know more, especially about the zaporozhian cossacks
>>
Where do they even come from? One moment you have Tatars on the steppes and the next moment those crazy motherfuckers appear out of nowhere.
>>
>>41365
a Migration of slavs from northern Europe who settled in the area near the Dnieper, i guess they eventually had enough of the tartars and the rivalries began
>>
>>41239
And zealously so, at least Ukrainian cossacks. Protectors of holy orthodoxy and everything.

>>41365
They didn't appear out of nowhere. Poles/Lithuanians (and partially Muscovites, in what's now Sloboda Ukraine) knew that their Eastern frontier had to be defended somehow, and so encouraged people settling on those dangerous lands by granting them various freedoms. Since peasant's life in the mainland wasn't particularly nice, especially since szlachta was becoming more and more powerful and exploitative, a lot of people decided to take the chance. Some plainly ran away and settled down.

Living on an open frontier where even an ordinary peasant has to learn to use a musket changes people rapidly. Tatar attacks annoyed some so much that they decided to start fighting back. Thus eventually cossacks were born. Some of the more hardcore people created various hosts deep into steppes which served as small bases to get rest and resupply.

Mind you, the frontier back then wasn't particularly far away. Bratslav was already almost on the border, for example. Kaniv was a small fort, so was Cherkasy.
>>
it's a shame people don't seem to be very interested in cossacks, they are literally the most based people who lived in the steppes
>>
>>42928

This

When Europe was stuck in the system of Merchant capitalism and Feudalism the Cossacks threw out the merchants. Established a free state in which the peasant was as free as the king and the land and crop was his own.
>>
>>41325
seconding this. any recommended book about cossacks?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.