[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Find some /his/tory pick up and all day you'll have a triggered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: isittrue.png (99 KB, 570x884) Image search: [Google]
isittrue.png
99 KB, 570x884
Find some /his/tory pick up and all day you'll have a triggered board.

How accurate is this, /his/?
>>
>>389364

Actually, if oyu look at the rates of death in battle in ancient Greece compared to deaths in childbirth of at least Roman times (as far as I'm aware, nobody compiled even cursory statistics about Greek death in childbirth), bearing children was enormously more dangerous than fighting in battle. Orders of magnitude more, especially for the Spartans, who won a lot more than they lost.
>>
File: PART2.png (68 KB, 556x679) Image search: [Google]
PART2.png
68 KB, 556x679
So could there be some shred of truth to some of the tumblr historians?
>>
i hate this histrionic, shrill style of writing where hundreds of different people all end up sounding like the same spastic teenager. I call it the tumblr-tone
>>
>>389364

It's one of the reasons Spartan society went to hell circa 350 BC, and why Macedonia was able to become the dominant power in Hellas. Spartans gave way too much deference to their women.
>>
>>389419
I think the point is, it's not massively heroic. All you have to do is screw somebody and wait 9 months. A lot of people died of the Black Death, but that doesn't make them heroes.
>>
>>389364
>women were trained THE EXACT SAME WAY MEN WERE
>(but only men were sent into the wilderness and expected to die in battle)
>E Q U A L I T Y
>>
>>389438
What they say about Athens is close to the truth, it was pretty shit, even if it had """""""democracy"""""""
>>
File: worldhistory.jpg (48 KB, 500x605) Image search: [Google]
worldhistory.jpg
48 KB, 500x605
Tumblr is usually a good source of historical information.
>>
>>389636
>the eternal European strikes again
>>
>>389636
there's something quite profound about that picture
>>
>>389639
Why?????
>>
>>389364
>a woman could expect to keep her own wealth and get custody of the kids because paternal lineage wasn't very important
>paternal lineage wasn't very important
>warrior society
you just scrape this off tumblr or what lad
>>
>>389364

Well, not all the boys were sent off into the wilderness. Only those deemed suitable for the Krypteia. Their orders were to steal to survive and spy on the helot population, killing anyone they deemed a threat. And Sparta actually formally declared war on the helot population, so as to avoid any blood guilt.
>>
Spartan women were kept in side 24/7 and it was the men who ruled the fucking house women didn't have fucking shit because Spartans were the fucking ideal
>>
>>389636
This is too silly to get triggered over.
>>
>>389438
Sparta was a diarchy, not a monarchy.
>>
>>389636
Oh wow
>>
>>389364
>>389438
The Spartans were also big fans of infanticide.
>>
>>389636
>>389779
It's you realizing that ironically by trying to blame white people for everything and pretend that everyone not white is a perfect angel, they inadvertently suggest that white people are the most important and influential things in the entire history of the world, and everyone else's history is not even worth mentioning, because they were completely ruined by the great white tide of evil and hate.

Ironically making their post the most 'eurocentric' shit ever.
>>
>>389636
Omega kek, you're being sarcastic right?
>>
>>390423
This desu

It's amazing how white-supremacist these people are.
>>
>>389636
Fuck the congo desu
>>
>>390453
There's a reason why most of the retards involved in this shit are upper middle class white kids. They had (and have) a myopic worldview that mostly focused on white shit, and then as they got older they started learning about other stuff, and assumed that everyone else only saw the world as white people doing things too, and then think 'oh gosh that's wrong! we need to get people to look at other history more and stop focusing on white people!'.

It's essentially just a classic case of 'oh i'm a retard so everyone else must be too.'
>>
>>389636

What I hate is how he takes around 2000 years of history and just lumps it all together, like it all happened in the same year.

and of course he's completely wrong on almost everything too.
>>
>>389636

I think Zizek pointed out that the new 'White Man's Burden' is to try and prove that white people are the most evil, sinister force in history (whereas the original 'white man's burden' was to be a beneficial and almost savior-like influence on other cultures).

In both cases, white people are asserting that they are the dominant force in the world stage, the only thing that's changed is their nature.
>>
>>389364
>ignoring the part where people were obliged to marry and reproduction was explicitly sought after

Typical feminist degenerate hedonist
>>
>>390482
Well said anon.
>>
>>390507

Pretty much this. Sparta was a society that was absolutely obsessed with breeding warriors, and that was about it. The only reason they were able to function as a society at all was because of slavery. That's how people got fed, things got built, and society in general functioned. Trying to act like Sparta was any kind of role model for equality is ridiculous, because their social order literally couldn't function without inequality and violence.
>>
Heh.
I don't get feminists. They complain about gender roles when men go study engineering and women don't, but then go around and take Sparta as a feminist example? Spartan women were literaly baby factories.
>>
>>390565
It's pop-history, friend. It's not about the truth, it's about what we can put in a '10 things you didn't know' article.
>>
>>390486
Even their nature is unchanged. They are still pure actuality. They are still Gods, who alone posses will which creates action out of Chaos.

Note that with the exception number 2, none of the non-white people take any positive action. Persians "are" amazing artists. They do discover, or create, or advance art.

The Native Americans do not advance the world, the world advances them.

This is chaos in the classical sense, and white people play the role of God, sending their breath across the waters.

But because we now live in a misotheistic society, our godlike nature is to be reviled, not celebrated. It is not even the nature of white people that has changed, it is merely white people's opinions of our godlike nature.
>>
>>390565
What I don't get is they hate traditional roles when being a mother of multiple children is a VITAL role in a society. Without women civilization would cease to exist. Men do the dying in (sometimes) pointless wars and have the burden of providing financial stability, but they literally bring life into the world, which man alone cannot do. Why do they want this?
>>
>>389475
but they kicked Athens's ass and they treated their women like shit
>>
>>389364
they'd probably be less jazzed about the fact that childbirth was so honoured because it meant more babies for the army
proto-fascist dictatorships are ok if they're nice to woman I guess
>>
>>390632
I wanted to post something deep and insightful but I honestly have no idea. I googled "Why don't feminists want to reproduce" out of curioisty. The only thing I got that wasn't men's rights was this:

http://www.feministcurrent.com/2015/03/20/of-course-men-want-children-more-than-women-do/

I advise you to not click that link so as to not give them any ad money. Anyways the reasoning is basically that the very existence of men is literally rape and men are superior than women in every way so breeding is somehow "giving in" or "defeminizing" yourself.

The entire idea seems to be wrapped up in some bizarre pseudo-Marxist bratty girl syndrome (The article says that patriarchy is something men consciously perform as an ideology they wish to enforce). I'd wager it's due to being completely divorced from reality and never having considered what men think about anything.
>>
>>389364
I'm glad they use caps for the important parts, reading is just so hard...
>>
>>390632
It ties you down. Back when servants were a thing, women didn't have the power to go out and do shit with their lives, they had to look after the endless stream of babies or stay in the house and ignore their kids. Now that women can get a degree and a job, they don't have people to look after their kids 24/7 and have to work around their families. It's not that being a mother is shameful, it's just very limiting (the degree depends on where you are/what you do) and SJWs throw a shitfit about everything, so being a mother became a Bad Thing.
I mean, Aztec women who died in childbirth had their funerals mobbed by warriors looking to score a lucky finger, and pre-1066 women in England could own property etec, but SJWs like to forget that until it's convenient.
Equal rights isn't just being a hate-spitting trigger-warning machine, but Tumblr White Girl Syndrome drowns out any sort of rational argument in favour of all caps and live panic attacks.
>>
>>389477
Yes, it doesn't. However, if you're dying of the Black Death there's no cure, no way out.

If you are pregnant, you can still abort the spawn, and be done with that.

It's a matter of choice.
>>
>>389364

Actually it's fairly accurate, but this tumblrina is just putting a romantic feminist spin on it. One of the worst things you can do, in my opinion is to judge ancient societies through the lens of modern values.

Spartans also:

>Practiced infanticide
>Enslaved an entire group of people, the helots, to do all their menial labour
>Every 10 years or so they would cull the population of helots
>Obviously there would have been some serious rape of slave women going on
>Were racist and xenophobic, just like everyone else back then
>Believed warfare was the most important thing in life

I highly doubt Tumblrinas would agree with all those aspects of Spartan society.
>>
when will people learn that adding ''fucking'' won't make anything sound more badass than it really is? She just said women were allowed to own land and Spartans saw death during childbirth like death in battle (btw norsemen often labelled as ''vikings'' by people who know fuck all about history were the same in both regards)
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.