[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What sort of historical artifacts does /his/ have at home?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10
File: 1441226228041.png (243 KB, 576x384) Image search: [Google]
1441226228041.png
243 KB, 576x384
What sort of historical artifacts does /his/ have at home?

>I have assorted coins back home.
>>
>>388904
Some NSDAP pins and badges I bought in Germany. You can get this in some second hand stores or at weekend markets.
>>
My mom has a spanish edition of Don Quixote from 1713 and other valuable french and spanish books.
>>
File: comrade squidward.jpg (19 KB, 320x246) Image search: [Google]
comrade squidward.jpg
19 KB, 320x246
>>388904
I have a red army parade/officer's sabre on my mantelpiece, because fucking swords.
>>
>>388904
I have some medieval stuff, coins and some things that I've found with my metal detector.
>>
Family signet ring from the 17th century.
Napoleonic Wars era gun.
Some badges from the balkan wars and first world war from assorted ancestors
>>
File: 20130408_124346.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20130408_124346.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>388904
I have a book on the History of WWII published...right after WWII.
>>
>>388904
A Spanish Mauser that was used to kill American and Republitards. Also a painting of a great great great grandfather that served in the army.
>>
Nothing worth mentioning really, but my house itself is a 16th century canonial house with a 12th century cellar.
>>
>>388904
First book of the stories from the Bible from 1903, edited by one of our most important political figures of that time.
Also a pocket atlas cards from approximately 1908, as it already has Bosnia as protectorate of Austro-Hungary.
>>
>>389155
Epin. You read Churchill's book?
>>
A chunk of the Berlin wall, would not be surprised if some AOL mailers turned up.
>>
>>389144
Did you at least report your finds to the appropriate agency? Because if not you're actively destroying the archaeological record.
>>
My aunt used to have a section of the Berlin Wall, but pretty sure she sold it

I have absolutely no idea how she got it though
>>
I've got a Q36 Nazi helmet.
>>
>>389155
that's amazing. what does it say?
>>
would hardly call it artifacts

i was working as archeologist for a while so i took some ceramic pieces with me

its just worthless sarmatian and alike pottery basicly
>>
>>392244
-If you can see the page I photographed, Great Britain is referred to as an Empire still and my Country (Philippines) is still under the US Commonwealth.
-The Ballercaust isnt fully accounted yet. Its 4,000,000 there.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>389200
>chunk of the Berlin Wall
Me too. Dad tore it from the Wall back in '89.
>>
>>388904
I have a fuckhuge Nazi drape with a swastica on it that if the story is true hung from a city hall in some German city when one of my great uncles was involved in liberating it he apparently teamed up with a yank while storming the city hall and afterward they took one drape each.
>>
A book looking back on 100 years of Swedish politics, written around 1910.
>>
>>388904

I have books of Swedish history from 1618-1939 that were hand-crafted and produced for King Karl Gustav's personal friends and family during the second world war. The first volume of the 20+ volume series is signed by the King.

I have various antique furnishings from British, Dutch, German, and Swedish masters from the 1600's and 1700's, along with various beer mugs from Lubeck from the 16th century which contain about a dozen different small metallic tags placed on them to demonstrate where they have been used throughout the Holy Roman Empire.
>>
>>392218
I also have a Freemason's dress sword.
>>
File: IMG_0200.jpg (2 MB, 2376x1604) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0200.jpg
2 MB, 2376x1604
Nothing really

Don't even know If It's authentic, you tell me /his/
>>
Big chunk of the Berlin wall my parents chiseled out.

Some coins from the Roman Empire.
>>
A map of New France drawn be Samuel de Champlain. Inherited it somehow, and it's worth a fuckton of money.
>>
I have a full 18th century Decline and Fall by Gibbon back home. She's my pride and joy.
>>
lets see.
couple of polished stone age axes, c. 3000bc.

a set of German ( cologne) goldsmith's scales C 1600-1650.

an early 17th C blown glass flask.

6 maps of various bits of England, by John Speed, from between 1620 and 1675.

two small-swords, English or French, one dated 1715, the other is approximately 1750.

a pair of Japanese ivory and lacquered wood panels of birds, mid-18th C.

And in all honesty, I dont even have a clue how many books from pre-20th C.
The Black Book of Taymouth Castle, from the 1640's.
A 1st edition print of the Poems of Struan, 1752.
A copy of Holm's history of the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745, 1st edition, printed in 1752.
A history of St Kilda, from 1763 (when it was still inhabited by islanders).
Jethro Tull (no, not the musician) Husbandry (on the principles of Tillage and Vegetation), 1783.
"survey of the Province of Moray", 1798
JMW Turner's artist proof prints of the engravings from his grand tour of Scotland, 1833.
>>
-Lots of foreign currency from different points in history (collecting foreign currency is a big hobby of mine)
-A pin of Mao from the Cultural Revolution
-This isn't exactly a proper historical artifact, but a replica of a Zulu throwing spear which was sold to tourists back in the 70s.
>>
>some broken pieces of ceramic stolen from Efes
>old coins and banknotes
>piece of metal that looks like it's a bronze-age axe
>>
File: lexikon_kartekercs10.jpg (143 KB, 800x589) Image search: [Google]
lexikon_kartekercs10.jpg
143 KB, 800x589
Roman, Celtic, Greek, Medieval and newer coinage (bronze, silver, gold)
Bronze/Iron age jewelleries
Roman fibulae
Bible from 1699
various books and maps from 1700-1800s
Newspaper from early 1800s (first ones published in my country)
>>
I got some hand made silver spoons that were used by nobles in the Russian Empire, a 30 year old Soviet radiator that still works perfectly, two handmade wooden eagles from Soviet/Imperial Ukraine and some many other trinkets.
>>
>>388904
I have a third edition of Taine's Les origines de la France contemporaine and a 1778 edition of La Bruyère's Caractères, with his translation of Theophrastus'. Nothing else I can think of.

>>394218
How much would Roman coinage cost? How to avoid paying for forgeries? I've read about a lot of scams taking place on eBay.
>>
File: ag.jpg (276 KB, 800x1062) Image search: [Google]
ag.jpg
276 KB, 800x1062
I have a stamp collection with. Some my stamps are valued at +1000e.

Also a very old bible
>>
I have a Soviet soldiers belt from the 80s, an assortment of US Army/Navy patches and medals, and an assortment of world and US coins
>oldest coin is from 1856
Some banknotes from the German Empire and coinage from the 3rd Reich
>>
File: 20151211_182322.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
20151211_182322.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
Early 16th century printed Bible or prayer book.

Got a medieval ring and a dagger chape somewhere too, as well as a bag of Victorian and Tudor pottery I mudlarked from the Thames.
>>
>>394402

Should have said prayer book PAGE there.
>>
>>388904
I have a Roman 2nd century oil lamp from Syria.
>>
>>388904
My house is about a hundred years old, and when we were doing some renovations, we found some old pictures in the wall of the people who had lived there around 1900.

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is our kiddish cup my great-great grandfather brought with him when he immigrated around 1870. I have no idea how old it actually it, but it was probably the most expensive thing a family would have owned back then.
>>
>>389200

Cant you buy these in gift stores in Berlin? I was there on holiday last year and practically every tourist shop had dozens of small shards of the wall. Or are those not real?
>>
>>394237
Not him but you could try buying coins from third party grading companies that way you know they're real. You could also go on a coin forum that has a selling section and buy from a user with a good reputation like NGC NCS PMG.
>>
>>388904
My grandfathers horse saddle, 50 year old copies of the Lord of the Rings, my dads birth certificate signed by Richard Nixon (my Grandpa was friends with White House staff), an old, dusty American flag from WWI, and the families Colt Single Action Army.
>>
File: Distress.jpg (34 KB, 427x427) Image search: [Google]
Distress.jpg
34 KB, 427x427
>>388904

I have a thick tome detailing the history of my Granddad's bomber unit from the world wars.

I seriously can't believe he actually did that shit, though. I mean, based on what it says, he's literally a mass murderer.

Why did you kill all those people, granddaddy?
>>
I've got some coins, and my favorite is one with Nero. Got some Iraqi dinar with Saddam on it too. I've got plenty of Injun stuff--Arrowheads, spearheads (some are definitely far, far older than the rest because they don't even have the part where you tie the stick to), ax heads.
>>
>>397211
Because there was a war on, silly.
>>
I have the diary of my grandfather, who was at the siege of the Alcazar during the Spanish Civil War and you can see his thoughts gathered there, although I don't understant to what extent that would count as a historical artifact according to the OP's definition.
>>
>tfw communists took almost all of my most ancient articles of inheritance
I have a very old axehead, from the days when they were chipped from flint, so that's pretty cool.
>>
Every few decades they have to replace parts of the cable in a suspension bridge, but ever so carefully and in extremely small increments at a time.

I have a piece of the Golden Gate Bridge's original cables.

>>394484

It was a rather big wall
>>
>>388904
Well I have German Shepard that aren't genetic messes so there's that
>>
>>388904
Memoirs from my Grandma's cousin. He was a nazi soldier ( lieutenant ? I can't remember) that served on the western front, was captured by Americans, held as a POW, survived the war, had his wife raped and murdered by Russians, ultimately became a pastor in Germany and I suppose passed away.

Lots of war trinkets from both sides of the family (grandfather on the other side stormed Normandy)
>>
Not really an artifact, but my parents bought an old french cavalry saber a while ago, I don't remember the exact date but it's from the 19th century I believe. It's not a napoleonic era one tho, they couldn't have afforded it
>>
>>388904
I've got an old rifle that my ancestor used to "settle" eastern Tennessee. Apparently it's worth ~100k because it's both very rare and this guy is important enough to have a statue in the national capitol's rotunda room.
>>
>>389200
I got one from a street vender in Berlin for 3 euros, haggled it down from 5.

Probably fake but I wanted some sort of souvenir
>>
>>388904
I have a Dutch dress sword from (my dating, cannot find any similar item online or in books) early 19th century
I guess an engraved cigarette case from a Flt Lt in the RAF in the 50's counts
Assorted ornaments from the early 20th century that could fetch a nice price
German WWII medals (great-grandad probably pulled them off a dead soldier)

I deal with a lot more significant and interesting artefacts at University, however... one of the perks of being an Archaeology student... just need to ignore my job prospects, though lol
>>
>>389144
You have no idea how valuable the right coin can be... recently a generic Viking hoard was discovered in England, and further examination of the coins found that they were coins featuring Ceolwulf II of Mercia, a king that was almost erased from history by Alfred the Great... which is why the find was so important.
You need to report any and all finds to whatever heritage agency operates in your country.
See >>389326
>>
>>388904
I have a few paintings (mostly portraits plus a cople landscapes) from the 18th and 19th century, a late 18th century sabre and pistols, a WW1 officer sword and some medals. I'm sure that if I ever get permission to just ransack my grandpa's home I'll find a lot more, it has been continuously inhabited by the family for a few centuries. I really do hope I'll manage to swindle my relatives into thinking it's all worthless shit and keep it for myself, because they're the kind of people who would just sell or throw away the whole lot to clear space.
>>
File: IMG_0032.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0032.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
I may or may not have piece of the WTC.
>>
I have a gyroscope from a WW2 german aircraft, unsure what model. My Grandpa picked it up, he was huge on planes and sent all sorts of parts back by mail. He gave me the gyroscope when I became helicopter technician.
>>
I collect militaria, as well as 3rd Reich relics. I have a bunch of British and Dutch medals, Reichmarks, Reichpfennigs, a complete set of Generalgovernment stamps to commemorate Hitlers birthday, a 1933 edition of Mein Kampf, a 1939 American complete English translation of Mein Kampf, a Turkish sabre from the Crimean war, some ancient Greek pottery I scavenged from some road in the Pelonponnese, bone fragments from a killing field in Cambodia, and a fragment from the Berlin Wall
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.