[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If a faulty premise always leads to faulty conclusions, how far
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: world-07.jpg (619 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
world-07.jpg
619 KB, 1200x1200
If a faulty premise always leads to faulty conclusions, how far do you think we have to go back to fix humanity? Should meditation be the baseline for a new kind of science?
>>
>>387143
>meditation be the baseline for a new kind of science
Wut.jpg
>faulty premise necessarily leads to faulty conclusions
Not necessarily. You can arrive at the correct conclusion from a faulty premise. You learn that in the logic class.
>>
>>387143
>Not necessarily. You can arrive at the correct conclusion from a faulty premise. You learn that in the logic class.

Prove it.
>>
>>387184
Sure.
>all tigers are fish (false premise)
>no fish have scales (false premise)
Therefore
>no tigers have scales (correct conclusion)
>>
>>387252
I'm too stupid to argue with that. Is he correct?
>>
>>387264
http://academic.csuohio.edu/polen/LC9_Help/1/14ftv.htm
Yes.
>>
>>387291
>>387252
Does this still hold true for math?
>>
>>387321
Yes. You could miscalculate in several places and still arrive at the correct answer.
>>
>>387339
I can't put my finger on what's supposed to be wrong but something doesn't sit with me right. Do you always need to errors to cancel eachother out?
>>
>>387321
>>387370
Yes. Having said that, it's also true that if you have a complete and consistent logical framework, if you then include at least one single false premise, then you can now reach any conclusion whatsoever, true or false.
>>
>>387616
I wish they hadn't canceled the logic course two years before I went to uni.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.