[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DERG GET OUT REEEEEEE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13
File: Tewdros II, AKA Afro Jesus.jpg (110 KB, 377x504) Image search: [Google]
Tewdros II, AKA Afro Jesus.jpg
110 KB, 377x504
What do you know about Imperial Ethiopia
>>
>>386958
I mean depends on what exactly, token Beta Israeli American here.

What do you want to know?
>>
File: IMAG0350.jpg (1002 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0350.jpg
1002 KB, 1836x3264
>>386968
Oh and proofs + shag sameach too
>>
>>386958

i know ethiopia was one of the longest lasting civilisations in the known world, that they left huge ammounts of proof of this, structures, monuments, inscriptions, are mentioned in many ancient texts as such etc... but for some reason no one mentions them, insted its all EGUPT WUZ BLACK
>>
>>386958
I know for some reason contact with the Great Lakes region was really limited, even though they're not THAT far apart?
>>
WE WUZ CHRISTS N' SHIET
>>
>>386999
You know people can have many interests in Africa at once.

It's not like Egypt and Nubia don't have an influence on us.
>>
>>386999
Ethiopia has been really prominent in Rastafarianism.
>>
>>387006
Different climate, pests, goes against agrarian needs. Herders are all around, people fight over pasture; still we influenced Africa from Ethiopia down to S.A. long ago so its not like none of us ever went down you know?
>>
>>386958
That Ge'ez has a real problem being translated into the Latin script. Why is there no standard? Why are all these names written in a dozen different ways?

I occasionally ponder what Ethiopia would've been like if Iyasu had been a better ruler. Would the country have modernised better? Maybe kept off the Italians? Perhaps it'd be a shining beacon of development in Africa these days.

Now it's just a boring, almost-failed state cozying up to the Chinese, like every other place in Africa. Meh.
>>
File: habesha.jpg (2 MB, 1464x2200) Image search: [Google]
habesha.jpg
2 MB, 1464x2200
>>386999
Ethiopians aren't black either though.

They're tanned arabs
>>
>>387136
More like, arabs are pale ethiopians.
>>
>>387195
No, ethiopians are a result of a "back to africa" migration of middle eastern neolithic farmers
>>
>>386958
>What do you know about Imperial Ethiopia

-That they claim close to sacking mecca once.
-Worshiped by Jamaicans
-supposedly have the arc of the covenant stashed somewhere.
-Tryanised Eritrea

What I find interesting is the seemingly complete lack of informaiton about the Derg compared to all other commie groups that had power.

As a country that was never colonized why is ethiopia such a shit hole?
>>
>>387219
>That they came close to sacking mecca once.
>>
>>386958

How did Jews, Christians, and Muslims interact with each other under the empire? Did they mostly stick to their own communities, did they fight, etc? Was their bitterness from the other sects over Christianity receiving the patronage of the state?

also why do Eritreans hate you guys?
>>
>>387239
>also why do Eritreans hate you guys?

Not OP, but Ethiopia fought a long and pretty nasty war to try and force them to remain in the country despite their ethnic differences. Its always ironic seeing African states justifying their own imperialism and colonialism whilst decrying the horrors of it in the same breath
>>
File: 1414168937273.jpg (42 KB, 351x500) Image search: [Google]
1414168937273.jpg
42 KB, 351x500
>>387013
Yeah, but Ethiopian history is almost completely left out of American public education, which is a shame because black folk of this country could use some history unrelated to cotton picking, marching, and lynching.

For most African Americans, their connection to the old world is lost, which is a shame, because they will never feel atavism
>>
>>389105
Eritrea was a part of Ethiopia though and the loss of the coast hurt Ethiopia though.

Though with the state Eritrea is in Ethiopia is probably gonna get it back someway with how the country is turning out.
>>
File: Haile_Selassie_in_full_dress.jpg (168 KB, 600x1173) Image search: [Google]
Haile_Selassie_in_full_dress.jpg
168 KB, 600x1173
>be the one good African leader post-colonial era, pre-Nelson Mandela
>get deposed by commies

Is there anything Marx hasn't ruined?
>>
>>386958
i know it didnt exist
>>
>>387201
What about the Ethiopians who had always stayed there?

I view Ethiopians as Africa's Dominican Republic when it comes to race: heavily mixed.
>>
If Jews didn't own Hollywood, there would already have been a movie about Cristovão da Gama's wars in Ethiopia.

But that will never happen, can't make a movie that shows Muslim jihadis from Somalia as villains, and Catholics from Europe as heroes fighting together with black Orthodox Christians.

Feels bad, that would be one helluva movie.
>>
>>387201
No we aren't, that study is crap.
>>389139
Most people learn about us as the only African nation to never be colonized in school, we're a stepping stone for many.
>>389105
There is no ethnic difference in Eritrea.

It's majority Habesha.
>>387239
We constantly fought, Judaism and Judeo Paganism was once the unifiying faith then it turned to shit for Jews :-/
>>
>>387219
>As a country that was never colonized why is ethiopia such a shit hole?
islamic gommunism
>>
>>389910
>can't make a movie that shows Muslim jihadis from Somalia as villains

What about the movie about the genocide against Black Sudanese that came out recently?
>>
>>389485
So, when soviet backed thugs like Mengistu took over countries in Africa, did they actually try to institute leftist policies, or did they just pretend to be Marxist to get money and guns from Russia?
>>
Their medieval art is hilarious.
>>
>>390445
Why are blacks so weeaboo?
>>
File: 1414444355009.jpg (73 KB, 484x634) Image search: [Google]
1414444355009.jpg
73 KB, 484x634
>>387007
>>389887
Ya'll are some retarded shits. You can't look past skin pigmentation and see that these blacks maintained a christian culture for one thousand years?
>>
File: DSC03421.jpg (418 KB, 1495x1116) Image search: [Google]
DSC03421.jpg
418 KB, 1495x1116
>>390445
All medieval art is hilarious desu
By the way, I loooooove the way Ge'ez looks. Best non-Roman alphabet.
>>
>>390445
Interesting to see Biblical imagery with all-blacks.
>>
I'm totally using this as a reaction image from now on.
>>
File: irony.jpg (547 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
irony.jpg
547 KB, 354x500
Dem did di chosen people mon. Wi did kings an shit. smoke a di ganja won time, rastafara. Haile Selassie wi save wi him greatest mon. Elizabeth II nuh mi leada shi pasty brit.
>>
>>386958

did the Ethiopians use archers as extensively as the Nubians did? What was their cavalry like?
>>
>>390445
Chibi Jesus <3
>>
>>390114
Mengistu did institute communist policies like collectivization, villigization (where scattered peasants would be forcibly concentrated in villages), and gender equality initiatives. Probably the single most valuable thing the Derg did was shatter the old and almost feudal-like landowning system. However the vast majority of the regime's policies ended up being astonishingly awful and it's unlikely Mengistu gave a rat's ass about the revolution as anything other than a way to play dictator.
>>
File: Horse-sheba.jpg (133 KB, 475x329) Image search: [Google]
Horse-sheba.jpg
133 KB, 475x329
>>
>>389910
There couldn't be a happy ending though. Both Ethiopia and the Somali sultanate demolished each other during that war. No one was left to stop the encroachment of Oromo pastoralists, squatting on empty land because everyone who used to be there was dead. That added a level of ethnic disruption to Ethiopia that affects it to this day.
>>
>>387239
>also why do Eritreans hate you guys?

It's complicated.

In the 1800s Italy colonized the area now know as Eritrea. Ethnically it was pretty consistent with northern Ethiopia as a whole. The national language of Eritrean is the exact same as the one of the northernmost province of Ethiopia.

Italy's later ambitions to conquer Ethiopia as well were thwarted in the Battle of Adwa in 1896 in a campaign where many Eritrean askari fought for the Italians and were treated horribly when captured by Ethiopians (since the askari were considered traitors, Ethiopians treated them far worse than other prisoners), beginning a clear separation in national identity between Eritrea and Ethiopia.

After Italy was kicked out of the Horn of Africa during World War II Emperor Haile Selaisse managed to convince international bodies to allow Ethiopia and Eritrea to join in "federation", although almost immediately Eritrea was treated as just another Ethiopian province, despite Eritrea's increased level of development and Italian influences. This led to a long term guerrilla movement to liberate Eritrea, one that was violently fought by the Ethiopian government, especially the communist regime of the 70s, the Derg. The anti-insurgency campaign in Eritrea was vicious and left deep scars there. Eventually they worked together with Ethiopian anti-Derg groups to overthrow the government, being rewarded with Eritrean independence.

Relations were briefly good in the early 90s between Eritrea and Ethiopia, but a minor border dispute later in the decade led to a completely out proportion response by both sides and a war where Ethiopia demolished Eritrea. However, neither side agreed to UN peace treaty agreement, Ethiopia is still occupying the shitty little village the UN said belonged to Eritrea. Now they conclusively hate each other's guts.
>>
File: spooky-ougi.gif (98 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
spooky-ougi.gif
98 KB, 500x364
>>390445
>>
>>389139

None of those fcking African Americans are from the horn , they are all fcking west africans, tell them to learn about the Mali and Songhai kingdoms.
>>
>>389895
they are not mixed, they are the most original ppl there is, read into y dna genetics
>>
>>387224
Close. In the same year Mohammed was born, the Christian king of Yemen, who was subject to the Kingdom of Aksum, lead an army to mecca to destroy all their pagan symbols. Something stopped them, and modern consensus seems to be on a smallpox outbreak.
>>
>>393441
East African Genetics comes via Fulani and Hausa, Fulani were represented in the slave trade including a prince Abdu-l-Rahman Ibrahim Ibn Sori.

It's important for African Americans and new world black people to not fall for the same traps white people tend to do with Africa. That is try and say who is what without really knowing what the fuck they're talking about.

>West Africa was isolated
>north Africa is Semitic and middle eastern
>east Africans are half Arab
>south African natives are all Khoisan and they're the same
>central Africa is African homeland
>anyone not horner, Berber, Arab or have done anything of note is Bantu.

I think its great African Americans want to continue their education of Africa through us to understand the colonial struggle.
>>
>>387136
Ethiopians are white.
>>
>>394723
So is the color of my cum when I ejaculate on your mother's face.
>>
>>394723
>Having white in you makes you white

That's the reverse one drop rule, and it's retarded.
>>
>>central Africa is African homeland

No it's not, East Africa is. Not everyone in East Africa looks Ethiopian, there are some jet black people that have been living there for the past several hundred thousand years.

>>393452
Not all Ethiopians are "pure" blooded though.
>>
>>395489
ARE THE BUTT OF A TIRED MEME
>>
>>395489
>Joke isn't funny
>still spout it
>>
>>394672
Hausa at best 3% E1b1b
Fulani at best 13 % E1b1b
they both also have West Eurasian haplogroup R1b at 10%

East africans are not half arab Fulani and Hausa get their ebeb1 genetics from the berbs/arabs in the north

please stop making assumptions and know the facts
>>
>>387136
Fuck. My dick.
>>
>>389485
>Mandela

>good leader

Is this a joke?
>>
>>389485
He got deposed by commies because he was a butcher dictator and the people didn't like that.
>>
>>397130
Then the whole collective continent of Africa should have got their shit together to not have the best leader of an African state/country/empire be a butchering dictator.
>>
>>386958
Have an Ethiopian friend, taught me a lot t(o)b(e)h(onest)
>>
>>390506
I want /pol/ to leave
>>
>>386958
>you will never chill with Haile Selassie or Tewdros II
>>
>>397104
Reading comprehension
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.