[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the ancient Greeks train?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 13
File: goal-body3.jpg (1 MB, 3456x5184) Image search: [Google]
goal-body3.jpg
1 MB, 3456x5184
It is well known that the ancient Greeks were very fit, but there is a lot of controversy over how they trained.

How did they train? Obviously this didn't have barbells and such. How did they get such a massive core (pic related)?

While some may believe that /fit/ would be a better board to post this, I feel like /his/ would have more information to weigh in on the subject.
>>
File: goal-body2.jpg (361 KB, 807x1500) Image search: [Google]
goal-body2.jpg
361 KB, 807x1500
>>385717
Another example of their core.
>>
>>385717
>>385720
>small penis
>shrunken testicles

You know exactly how they got it. Roids.
>>
File: hermes.jpg (31 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
hermes.jpg
31 KB, 427x640
>>385717
Statues typically depict idealized forms. So what you are posting is probably exceptional individual since that is supposed to be Herakles.

Military Training at youth and daily exercise was a part of the life style back then since each city relied on its population of men for war. So the majority of young and middle age men would have been fairly fit.

Yet there was also the idealized youthful and slender form as well. Pic related.
>>
>tfw have Herakles-mode body
>complete with underwhelming dick and balls

it's the Grecian ideal
>>
No reason they couldn't have something like a medicine ball. Or even just lifting and throwing stones. They were fit, but not in the body builder Ahnald type aesthetic. As many people will tell you, someone like that is actually a good deal weaker than the real strongmen, who are huge bears that almost look fat.

So I'm sure they lifted, not least because you trained with weapons that were a good deal heavier than what you would actually be using in battle, in order to toughen you up and make your real weapon seem light by comparison. Swing a heavy wooden sword at a practice post a few hundred times a day for your entire life and you'll be pretty sturdy. Combine that with running and other aerobics and wrestling and javelin throwing and shit like that to build stamina and a life of farm labor when not serving in the phalanx and you were plenty strong. No fancy exercise equipment required.

Given their diets, too, they were probably what we would describe as "wiry" rather than "bulky".
>>
>>385775

>have average looks
>big ol' dick
>doesn't help you GET chicks because by the time they see it, they'll already have had to agree to sleep with you
>may help you keep 'em, tho

>Body of Atlas
>Penis of Cupid
>More likely to get them to the point where they'll see your penis
>then it may become a liability

things are tough all over, ponyboy

however given the emphasis placed by society on outward appearance I'm not convinced yours isn't the better bargain
>>
>>385819
You do realise that Greek men considered their wives as cheaper than slaves for cooking, and baby gestators?
>>
>>385831

I'm not sure this has to do with my commiserating with the guy I was quoting?
>>
>>385819

I mean it's decent enough erect, believe it or not but girls value the attention in sex, being held by a man, actual act of being fucked, more over the sheer sensation of the size of your dick

they could just as easily go out and buy a huge dildo

I would definitely be glad with having a big dick as well to boast about as well though
>>
>>385840
Bothering with the opinions of house cleaners isn't the Grecian Ideal.
>>
>>385717
>Obviously this didn't have barbells and such.
Why not? It certainly would be in their capabilities to craft them, or things like them, along with using heavy stones.

>No reason they couldn't have something like a medicine ball
In fact, Hipocrates prescribes medicine balls.

The other thing for these huge types is wrestling, yeah. You will get huge and incredibly ripped if you just wrestle for a few hours a day, without picking up weights.
>>
They got heavy objects and lifted them around, why is this such a controversy
>>
>>385862

It's not a stretch with bodyweight even, and maybe some weight accessories

The cores are overdeveloped, chest isn't puffed out like today's bodybuilders, back isn't quite as developed, arms and legs are modestly big

Indicates a lot of body-weight core work, tons of pushups, pullups, shit of that nature for a long time every day and you can resemble that statue

at the end of the day that is supposed to be THE strongest guy, nowadays you can point 3-4 dudes at any time in any college gym who outdo him
>>
File: paid12p8_fig14_hr.jpg (1 MB, 1028x1423) Image search: [Google]
paid12p8_fig14_hr.jpg
1 MB, 1028x1423
>the ideal is a relatively small, flaccid penis to demonstrate a natural humility
>the ideal is not dictated by the insecurity of potentially being able to pleasure a woman
>larger, flaccid penises are not congruous with the ideal of the nude of antiquity
>larger penises will be erect, or the fertility god or satyrs, for particular reasons of character
Why are modern men so insecure?
Why aren't they concerned more about themselves than whether or not they can successfully pleasure women for an absurdly small period of time?
>>
>>386023
>Why aren't they concerned more about themselves than whether or not they can successfully pleasure women for an absurdly small period of time?
Because frankly I don't care if I please a woman or not.
>>
>>385901
>nowadays you can point 3-4 dudes at any time in any college gym who outdo him
The second guy maybe, but outdo the guy in OPs first pic?
>>
You do realize that the vast majority of core exercises don't require weights, right? You can do planks and suitcase crunches religiously, increasing the reps every month, and get a pretty impressive core.
>>
http://www.historical-pankration.com/home/articles/ancient-exercises-from-galen-s-de-sanitate-tuenda

STRONG
1) Digging
2) Picking up something heavy
3) Picking up something heavy and walking with it
4) Walking uphill
5) Climbing a rope using the hands and feet: commonly done to train boys in the wrestling schools
6) Hanging onto a rope or beam for as long as possible
7) Holding the arms straight out in front with fists closed
8) Holding the arms straight out in front with fists closed
9) Holding out the arms while a partner pulls them down
10) The preceding three exercises but while holding something heavy such as jumping-weights
11) Breaking loose from a wrestling waist-lock
12) Holding onto a person trying to escape from a waist-lock
13) Picking up a man who is bending over at the hips and lifting him up and swinging him around
14)Doing the same but bending oneself at the hips also when picking him up
15) Pushing chest to chest trying to force the opponent backwards
16) Hanging from another's neck, attempting to drag him down
Exercises requiring a wrestling pit:
a) Entwine your partner with both your legs around one of his and try to apply a choke or force his head backwards
b) The same but using only one leg to entwine the opponents leg closest to yours
c) The same but using both legs to entwine both of the opponents legs.
>>
>>386427
RAPID
1) Running
2) Shadow-boxing
3) Boxing
4) Hitting punching bags
5) Throwing and catching a small ball while running
6) Running back and forth, reducing the length each time until finished
7) Stand on the balls of the feet, put the arms up in the air and rapidly and alternatly bringing them forweard and back; stand near a wall if afraid of losing ones's balance
8) Rolling on the wrestling-ground rapidly by oneself or with others
9) Rapidly changing places with people next to one in a tightly packed group
10) Jumping up and kicking both legs together backwards
11) Kicking the legs forward alternatly
12) Move the arms up and down rapidly with open or closed fist, increasing in speed
VIOLENT
1) Digging rapidly
2) Casting the discus
3) Jumping repeatedly with no rest
4) Throwing heavy spears and moving fast while wearing heavy armour
4) Any of the 'string' exercises executed rapidly: presumably running uphill, swinging jumping weights forward and back, and lifting them up and down, chin-ups and so on.
other exercises
1) Walking
2) bending up and down repeatedly at the hips
3) Lifting a weight up from the ground
4) Holding up and object for a long time
4) Full and loud breathing
5) Placing two weights on the ground approximately six feet from each other, picking up the one on the left with the right hand and then the one on the right with the left hand, then in turn placing them back where they came from on the ground and doing this many times with the feet stationary
>>
>>386428
Another thing worth noting is that everybody travel by means of walking all day erry day.
>>
I assume they lifted heavy stones and did body-weight stuff. Also, they ate what they needed, e.g. you need speed, eat a rabbit. You need strength, eat an ox etc.
>>
>>385717
>>385720
SS + GOMAD obviously
>>
>>385901
>at the end of the day that is supposed to be THE strongest guy, nowadays you can point 3-4 dudes at any time in any college gym who outdo him

But the difference ancient bodybuilders built their bodies for practicality as well.

It's not like modern day gym junkies who build muscle purely to get bigger and bigger.
>>
>>385815
>As many people will tell you, someone like that is actually a good deal weaker than the real strongmen, who are huge bears that almost look fat.

No, it's built for overall body strength.

Strongmen focus entirely on their arm strength, and only strength. While ignoring stamina, endurance, speed, weight, etc.

Meanwhile the body types OP posted are most practical and multi-roled. Especially ideal for military because they need to use the muscles for various parts of their bodies.
>>
>>385717
>It is well known that the ancient Greeks were very fit

Only the 0.001% of the population who were aristocrats who did not need to do any work and had the leisure time to exercise.
>>
>>385717
>>385720

Well firstly you need to understand that's not how Greeks looked. That is their ideal and they're made to unnatural proportions.

Secondly theres no reason to think they wouldn't have some exercise equipment. Hell heavy stones would do.
>>
File: WurzburgMuseum.jpg (23 KB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
WurzburgMuseum.jpg
23 KB, 250x233
Perhaps we can glean some information from this piece, found at the ruins of Snapopolis.
>>
>>385717
Resistence is resistence, warriors and soldiers have done calisthenics like exercise since ever, lifting things or swinging clubs. Look at how hindu or European strongman trained before all the machines or barbells appeared.
>>
>>386470

I don't practice strongman but I do follow it and that's a load of garbage. Strongmen have massively developed cores and posterior chains and legs, they're what's doing most of the work when you drag a truck or lift a stone or something
>>
>>385717
they weren't fit like /fit/ through exercising with barbells etc. it was more like a military training they had to do in gymnasións. fighting with shields and speers
>>
>>387634
>Snapopolis
fucking
kek
>>
>>386470
You're completely talking out of your ass. Strongmen not only work on core, but do vigorous work on cardio.
>>
>>386470
>Strongmen focus entirely on their arm strength, and only strength. While ignoring stamina, endurance, speed, weight, etc.

That is so wrong. First of all, anyone who has done any kind of sport knows power comes from the core, and your back. I trained muay thai and soccer, and work a job demanding repeated lifting of heavy objects. In muay thai, the leg kicks comes from the back, and so does the power of the hand, lifting a heavy object off the ground needs strong back and hind leg muscles. Those strongmen who lift absurdly heavy stones and other objects have really strong legs and lower backs. In fact their backs and legs are a lot stronger than their arms.
>>
>>386023
Pleasing women is my fetish
>>
>>386459

They are still stronger as well these days

Grecians of old didn't have these diets, machines, routines to work with or else they would have to get the edge

think football player size
>>
>>386023
>Why aren't they concerned more about themselves than whether or not they can successfully pleasure women for an absurdly small period of time?

Your dick is so small you piss on your balls.
>>
File: ashy.gif (338 KB, 420x317) Image search: [Google]
ashy.gif
338 KB, 420x317
>>388668
>having a fetish
>>
>>386451
Makes more sense than all the brotein xxploshinmax powder we see nowadays
>>
>>388521
>>388338
>>388338
>>388121
Oh boy /fit/'s fatty defence force is going all out tonight huh
>>
Did ancient Greeks have oats?
>>
>>389279
I dont browse fit its just that you are objectively wrong.
>>
File: 121401-050-EC40A1D6.jpg (106 KB, 1123x1600) Image search: [Google]
121401-050-EC40A1D6.jpg
106 KB, 1123x1600
>>385720
>>385717
You can't use idealized statues with impossible muscles as the typical Greek bod.

Here's one of the few naturalistic figures ever made in Greek art. Much more attainable.
>>
>>385901
It's a specialized form of exercise, made for lifting big things. Try asking anyone that doesn't lift to squat 300 lbs
>>
File: tumblr_m3fm6sSgOG1r2aziuo1_500.jpg (38 KB, 500x521) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m3fm6sSgOG1r2aziuo1_500.jpg
38 KB, 500x521
>>389356
>impossible muscles
>that
>impossible
Sounds like someone does not lift.
>>
>>386459
>build muscle purely to get bigger and bigger
You probably have never been a part of gym culture. People are less focused on who's bigger and more on who can lift more weight.

Your muscles don't get bigger because you did a magical number of reps with a medium-heavy weight. Your muscles get bigger to accommodate moving heavier things.

Read about Milo of Croton.
>>
ITT: relativist platitudes posted by people who don't know that they had a strong athletic culture
>>
>>389604
It's not even about the mass, it's about the bone structure and proportions.
>>
>>389640

>the epic le his muscles are too big to move mee mee

I hate people who do this

at no point in your natural lifting cycle will you get "too big" to be functional

you are simply getting more and more functional
>>
GOTTA EAT BIG TO GET BIG COME ON
>>
>>389667
>la ebic bodybuilders arnt strong because it's not functional muscle maylay

There are autistic adult males in their late teens and earlier 20s who can't do a single pushup who believe this
>>
>>386023
I thought the small penis was supposed to show self-control, which was a big deal when it came to sexuality. They weren't necessarily small when having sex, they were disciplined enough to not pop a stiffy because they were touching a woman.
>>
Those are statues OP, not real people.

Greek statues were highly idealised.
>>
>>389754
If people that muscular didn't exist, how did the Greeks know what they looked like? I mean, those are extremely anatomically accurate statues. The sculptors must've seen somebody IRL who looked like that.
>>
File: Halteres_from_ancient_Greece.jpg (2 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
Halteres_from_ancient_Greece.jpg
2 MB, 3008x2000
>>385717
Most of the statutes were supposed to superior to anything people could achieve. Some statues had literally impossible shit like Zeus having his lats serrated into three sections despite lats being single solid muscles. Also weights was how they got relatively big. Pic very related
>>
>>385732
Not everyone lives in America when women are psychologically broken and never get satisfied even by Godzilla cock..
Here for example women don't even care about the penis size but rather if you're intelligent and able to sustain a family.
>>
>>391117

>Here for example women don't even care about the penis size but rather if you're intelligent and able to sustain a family.

Where exactly?

Lumpenprole youth women are always into frequent and visceral sex, unless you're in some conservative Muslim or otherwise traditionalist nation.
>>
>>391117
That's fine. Steroids still shrink your nuts.
>>
>>385717
>It is well known that the ancient Greeks were very fit
All ancient peoples back in those times were very fit. If you think they were athletic you'd be blown away at the fitness levels the Scythians were said to be at.
>>
>>386023

Sexuality is now dominated by female preferences (as in nature, really).

Women act as gatekeepers. They gauge men, selectively deferring and capitulating. Most men seem to think most women put extraordinary importance on the relative size of a man's member, so it's a common source of sexual anxiety and frustration.

In a truly patriarchal society, there would simply be a blind-eye, if not outright disdain for perceived female preferences.
>>
>>389640
>People are less focused on who's bigger

>and more on who can lift more weight.

You haven't really seen any bodybuilder competitions have you?
>>
>>385717
probably by having sex with young men
>>
>>385819
Some women cannot handle a big ol' dick.

You hurt them when having sex, quickies are not possible (a lot of foreplay and lube is required), and blowjobs make the girl feel like her jaw is going to become dislocated. Did I mention teeth scraping during blow jobs? Not very pleasant for the guy. Also, girls don't like their cervix getting punched.

Source: I have a big ol' dick.
>>
>>386023
Because of American "muh dick" culture

>rap music is unharmful they said
>>
>>394047
Gonna need some citation on that
>>
>>394115
See www.reddit.com/r/bigdickproblems

You'll find reports of a lot of issues with sex.

The novelty of having a big dick is nice, but honestly it can become a chore at times. Some women outright refuse sex when they see your dick, orchestrating a face that says "you don't actually think you're going to put that in me do you?"
>>
>>394161
>See www.reddit.com/r/bigdickproblems

You know most of that sub is satire right?

>>394161
And by citation I mean pics of your dick nigga
>>
>>394161
>tfw average but curved sword
B)
>>
>>394169
>pics of my dick
Alright let me fap and get a pic.

Off to /b/!

Temporary trip for proof.
>>
>>394199
Here you go.

NSFW IMAGE FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.

DO NOT OPEN IF AT WORK OR SCHOOL OR WHEREVER.

http://i.imgur.com/ZVvwvJ9.jpg
>>
>>394251
What's length and width?
>>
>>394288
Length: 8"
Circumfrence: 5.5"
>>
>How did they get such a massive core (pic related)?
they didn't. those statues portray gods and mythical heroes, not average citizens.
>>
>>394294
Wait, your dick is literally 20cms?

Nigga that's beyond 'above average' this shit right here is a monster cock.

No wonder why you're having problems with it.

Fuck and I thought you were just some whiny dude with a 15cm dick.

Noice girth tho
>>
>>394300
>they didn't. those statues portray gods and mythical heroes, not average citizens.

How would they know muscles looked like that if they didn't have bodybuilders that had those bodies.
>>
>>394314
how could drawer of hulk know what man of that size looks like? his arms are thicker than hafthor björnson's whole body so it's really unlikely that the drawer has ever seen one in real life.
>>
>>394346
>comparing ancient art to modern art

Are you retarded?

Comic book artists KNOW what human muscles look like, they just exaggerate it a bit to create the hulk.

Meanwhile most people in pre-modern era were SKINNY and had FLAT bodies. Hell, even right now I have a flat chest and a flabby stomach because I haven't been working out enough. They could not POSSIBLY know what muscle looked like without seeing it.
>>
>>394366
Im sure there where some well built slaves who did nothing but move rocks all day.
>>
>>394366
and what makes you think that >>385717 isn't exaggerated? you dont need to have huge muscles to see them, just starve enough so there wouldn't be too much fat between them and skin.
>>
>tfw most average dick
>tfw know how to use it
>tfw small gf

Life is good. My only concern is that my teenage supermetabolism is starting to go away. How do I stop this belly forming before it starts?
>>
Why do classical statues/paintings all have tiny dicks? Was everyone just super cold all the time?
>>
>>394489
Large ones were considered to be barbaric and animal-like.
>>
>>388320
My first thought when seeing that picture too.
>>
>>394294
Girth isn't that big is it?
>>
>>394366
>Meanwhile most people in pre-modern era were SKINNY and had FLAT bodies

Bull fucking shit. If you were a warrior or martial artist you had to be fit and have musculature, unless you wanted to get your ass handed to you, just like now.
>They could not POSSIBLY know what muscle looked like without seeing it.

They had martial artists/warriors/carreer soldiers/ hell even some buff slaves. They also cut dead people apart back then like now so they did know what musculature looked like
>>
File: TC-108.16-109.5-cpd-4.jpg (1 MB, 2032x1815) Image search: [Google]
TC-108.16-109.5-cpd-4.jpg
1 MB, 2032x1815
>>394598
>>
>>385717
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_in_Ancient_Greece#Training

If they had barbells they'd be doing the snatch and the clean and jerk. It trains everything the Greeks wanted.
>>
>>394303
>>394564
My girth is actually small when compared to my length. Other people who have 8" in length tend to be closer to 6" in girth.
>>
File: This.jpg (76 KB, 736x627) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
76 KB, 736x627
>tfw ancients get fit but you stay skinnyfat
>>
>>394790
6"7 - 6"9
6"

Not sure what to feel
>>
>>394854
How do I decipher these measurements?
>>
>>394880

You dont.
You just point more numbers.
>>
>>394880
I am not good at noting imperial shit.

Length is a range, seems to vary
Lower number is girth.
>>
>>386023
>HYACINTH NOOO !!
>>
>>394457
manage your calories

exercise
>>
>>386023
>whether or not they can successfully pleasure women for an absurdly small period of time?
They've been degenerated to only caring about such baser urges.
>>
>>391367
You've never actually stepped into a gym, have you?

Yeah, people 'mire 300lbs ripped giganiggas but if they're squatting 2pl8, no one is going to take them seriously.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.