[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was the french high command on such a low morale level in 39?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 79XBykWbqN-16.png (30 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
79XBykWbqN-16.png
30 KB, 300x250
They came after the high of WW1, had better military technique and the army itself was by no apparent mean sharing the sentiment with their commanders.

Also what would have a french quagmire meant for the german offensive in Europe?
>>
Because most of them had huge nazi sympathies and were antisemitic, in addition of hating the French government.
>>
>>381178

Their only plan was to rely on the maginot line and a defensive strategy. They actually were aware that a defeat was possible considering the newgained might of the Wehrmacht. Thought not even the most pessimistic would have guessed that the maginot line would have been overrunned in a few days.

They had no plan B. So you could imagine the panic and despair after the lines got broken.

Add to this how many generals and commanders got killed in airraids.
>>
>had better military technique
They obviously didn't, what are you even talking about.
>>
>>381273
The Maginot line wasn't overrun.
>>
>>381275

It was outmaneuvred. And it was pierced.

German strategy in 1939 wasn't exactly the Schlieffen plan. They had one offensive through belgium, but also one through Alsace-Lorraine.
>>
>>381274

They totally were, they had heavy tanks the germans had seen only in their wet dreams capable of ripping to shreads the panzer-1 and 2, however few of them if any would get to see action by the time france lost.
>>
>>381297
There were some isolated attacks on Maginot line forts, but the Germans didn't get an army through it. The invasion went through Belgium.

>>381300
So you meant technology?

Yes French tanks were technologically advanced, but completely useless in this kind of warfare since they were slower than the German tanks and everything was about speed. France had no motorised infantry worthy of the name at all.
>>
File: bersaglieri1.jpg (30 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
bersaglieri1.jpg
30 KB, 500x363
>>381325
>france had no motorized infantry worthy of the name at all

Were Italian Bersaglieri worth 2 shits?
>>
>>381340

I know they were great for propaganda but haven't heard of any stellar accomplishments.
>>
>>381340
No idea, were those even deployed in WW2?
>>
>>381346
10/10 pimp game, I mean look at those feathers
4/10 war game
-3 for being sleazy guidos

Comes to a 4. Bretty aggurate:DDDD
>>
>>381347
You really have no idea. Read more.
>>
>>381178
WW1 was too horrible, it's been called "la der des ders", which means the last of the lasts. People didn't want another deadly war, every family in France had lost at least one man in war, and people just didn't want it to happen again.
>>
>>381405
Who gives a shit? Italy was completely irrelevant in WW2.
>>
>>381252

What about the scenario of a tough belligerent france? Do you think it would have lengthened or shorted the war?

I think had France punished Germany faster for their aggression many lives could have been saved
>>
>>381595
France should have invaded Germany when Hitler remilitarised the Rhineland. That would have wrecked all his plans. There was still time later for a Franco-British intervention that would have led to quick victory, but while by then the French were in favour, the British still wanted appeasement. This wasn't just to avoid war btw, it was also because by then the idea that Germany had been treated unfairly at Versailles had become such a meme that most people thought Hitler was justified and we should cut him some slack.

Of course the real solution would have been to go with the French plan after WW1, but the British and Americans opposed it, because at that time Britain was still more afraid of France than of Germany.
>>
>spend 4 years in trenches
>dieing by millions
>no family left untouched
>life is good now

mon amies! go to war again! i promise it wont be like last time! most of you know it already but trust me this time it will be different
eh
>>
>>381653

'it's different this time' - said everyone before any major catastrophe
>>
>>381630
Britain in 1936 was in no position to send forces to Germany.
>>
File: demsideburns.jpg (47 KB, 498x562) Image search: [Google]
demsideburns.jpg
47 KB, 498x562
>>381676
>ungentlemanly warfare intensifies
>>
>>381273
>Their only plan was to rely on the maginot line and a defensive strategy.
no
>Thought not even the most pessimistic would have guessed that the maginot line would have been overrunned in a few days.
it wasn't
>>
>>381472
le meme history

well played my friend ;^)
>>
The english stopped us from dismantling german power at Versailles, from invading when the left bank was remilitarized, from extending the maginot line into or next to Belgium, from securing Spain as an ally instead of leaving it to be the anvil to Germany's hammer...

The english are the reason we can't have nice things in europe since 1560.
>>
File: french btfo.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
french btfo.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
>>382769
Outta my way French fucking shits
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.