[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /his/ hate this guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 323x323
Why does /his/ hate this guy?
>>
>>377777
Why do you care?
>>
He has an agenda. He cares more about portraying information in a way that in his eyes will best benefit humanity instead of simply trying to communicate information as clearly and objectively as possible.

That said, I like his Crash Course series and the shit his brother does.
>>
>>377777
>/his/ is one guy
I don't think most people care. I feel most people that mention him just want to start a fight or feel like they fit in.
>>
>>377777
Muh modern morality in muh history.

That is why I don't like him. I mean, you can point it out to show how different moral systems were at the time, but you shouldn't make moral statements about actions in the past.
>>
>>377777
Nice quints.

I like him, his History videos are great
>>
He tends to put forth opinions that are contrarian, but doesn't go into huge detail. Kinda triggers me.

He succeeds in what he attempts however; history in brief
>>
>>377777
Look at him for fuck's sake
>>
>>377777
>le mongols
>le alexander the great
>le dark ages
>le islamic golden ages

thats why
>>
The only thing I know about him is that Cheerios thing. This guy is an extreme c~uck.

I don't watch history videos..
>>
>>377777
Because /his/ confuses him for an actual historian rather than some author providing youtube Cliff Notes for high school history.
>>
http://bunkermag.org/gulag-week-john-green-revised/

I wrote an article about this because of you fuckers
>>
He's a mega kek kids author
>>
Alexander is a evil women oppressing douche
Djengis Khanis a nice guy(harems are very progressive for women)

Islamic spain was a nice place

Only women suffered

everything european is bad
>>
File: dicks.jpg (181 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
dicks.jpg
181 KB, 1440x900
>>377842
>>
>watched his mongol video
>he conquered everything
>no mention of Subutai or anyone else who did all the work
>mongels so great cause silk road and religion and shit
>>
>>377777
QUINTS BABY.
For that you get an answer.

I think that his videos can be entertaining and are certainly alright if you want a very general view on history, albeit with his clear political bias. If you take it as anything more than a non-serious quick notes on history by some author you won't get much.

I don't like it when he very very clearly is trying to inject an agenda into the mix, skipping integral information so he can talk more about social issues that have only become accepted in the last two to three decades.
>>
>>377777

Watched a few of his videos and I typically turn them off when he starts talking about women when it's completely off topic.
>>
File: WeyounChecksEm.jpg (53 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
WeyounChecksEm.jpg
53 KB, 600x450
>>377777
>only one guy checks the quints

Why?
>>
How can you not hate this man?

Also, the guy literally complains about being bullied by people on TUMBLR. He's a 40 year old man who desperately wants to be a teenager.
>>
>>377777
He obsessively tries to undermine Western achievements by representing them as the consequences of historical determinism whilst he simultaneously praises the innovatons of the East as the accomplishments of their cultural and ideological graces.

In short, he's a self flagellating liberal kekold who routinely misrepresents the truth.
>>
>>377794
>He cares more about portraying information in a way that in his eyes will best benefit humanity
This. Road to hell is paved with good intentions. I hate sounding like some /pol/ alarmist, but we're seeing that in Western society right now, in some spheres.
>>
[-]
>>
>>377777

>white/christians/europeans/Americans BAAAAADDD!

>brown/muslims/asia GOOOOD!

He teaches cvck history
>>
>>378297
Show one video of this
>>
>>377859
ironically you kind of sound like John Green

no one cares how you feel or how many metaphors you can use to describe the same thing, get to the point
>>
>>377777
Because he is wrong about a lot of things and all his viewers take it as fact. Most historians recognize when an inference has shaky foundations and they mention this, at the very least they say "bla bla bla suggests bla bla bla", this guy just blurts it out "bla bla bla happened, suck a dick".

I don't particular care what his motivations are or whether he is a liberal or whatever.
>>
>>377777
I have no idea who he is but seeing as he uses a mac is reason enough to dislike him. also, checked
>>
Is it true that Ottoman Palestine had all religions peacefully coexisting?
>>
>>378332
Didn't read the article, but metaphors are great at getting people to relate to the point.
>>
>>378349
Maybe he uses one of the programs that are better on a mac like photoshop? Fuck if I know.
>>
>>378388
How is Photoshop better on a mac? Why should it be?
>>
originally because he (acurrately) implied that the west wasn't important for most of pre-1600s
then later because his newer ones were tumblr-tier history filled with whining about wimyns
he literally said the american revolution was only white men replacing white men
>>
>>378408
>he literally said the american revolution was only white men replacing white men
Wow. Did he say the same thing about the French or Russian Revolution?
>>
>>378408
>What is Rome and Colonization
>>
His viking video was awful
>>
>>378424
i mainly meant that europe wasn't technologically ahead of the east until then, and it was still getting its ass kicked by the ottomans
also i should have said
>the west wasn't the center-stage for the globe for most of pre-1600s
not
>the west wasn't important for most of pre-1600s
>>
>>378232
I now hate him without even knowing him or why I'm in /his/
Your post could be completely untrue, it just speaks to me
>>
>>377777

A screen flickers to light in a dark classroom in Stockholm, Sweden. The students eagerly await the video to load, so they can receive their anticipated lesson.

>Hi! I'm John Green and this is Crash Course: World History and we're going to talk about the Renaissance.

The Students clap and cheer violently, a round of applause going around the room and the children smile, knowing the all-wise John Green is here to educate them about the past.

>We all know those stupid Eurocentrists claim the Renaissance was driven by Italian innovation...

The students boo and frown, vaguely aware that the "Yuro-centrists" are always the bad guys in Mr. Green's lessons. A few are on the edge of their seats and in tears, hoping that Mr. Green will soon defeat the bad guys like he does every video.

>but every true non-fascist knows it wasn't done by privileged Italians at all...it was driven by Muslims!

The students cheer and cry tears of joy, knowing that at this point in the video they are transported into Mr. Green's "Thought Bubble", which shows them delightful images of men in turbans painting Renaissance art and raising children with white Italian mothers.

>But remember kids... the Renaissance didn't even matter! The Europeans still didn't have socialized healthcare and multiculturalism! See you next episode!

The screen suddenly goes dark, and the children dejectedly leave the classroom for their next class: Traditions of Islam and Cultural Awareness.
>>
>>378400
Photoshop had extra utilities for Mac up until CS3. That said, it hasn't been the case since then (7 years ago).

Mostly because Adobe had a partnership with Apple.
>>
File: 1445307274356.png (60 KB, 258x233) Image search: [Google]
1445307274356.png
60 KB, 258x233
>>378496

every time
>>
>>377799
>makes moral statements about the past
>>378172
>his clear political bias
>>377884
>Only women suffered
>>378348
>Because he is wrong about a lot of things
>>378408
>tumblr-tier history

prove this. link his videos.
>>
>>378330

literally anyone
>>
>>378496
Our English teacher had us watch videos about feminism, read books about feminism, discuss feminism and write about feminism. You're quite correct.
>>
File: Alexander_the_Great_Bust.jpg (100 KB, 446x576) Image search: [Google]
Alexander_the_Great_Bust.jpg
100 KB, 446x576
>>378523

Here's one of his worst videos and a thorough, point by point rebuttal of everything he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsrkWDCvxg

http://pastebin.com/QTjC44WZ
>>
>>378523

JGIDF detected
>>
>Protestant Reformation video
>Not one (1) mention of Jan Hus
>>
>>378547

He also got #rekt by some crusader history youtube guy
>>
File: lol4.png (60 KB, 174x156) Image search: [Google]
lol4.png
60 KB, 174x156
>>378496
>>
>>378562

shit, heres the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLBws-4kzG8
>>
>>378547
Holy fuck this is terrible
>>
>>377777
I don't hate him, the series is called crash course so it is unsurprisingly simple. That being said his injection of personal bias can be annoying because he makes his point mainly by repetition and simply moves on without backing it up. Also he tries to avoid great man history which is fine but then he shits on specific people often which just feels out of place.
>>
>>377799
this, i have a massive problem with this, it's easy as fuck to judge from where we are now with hindsight or morals
>>
>>377777
It's a vocal minority.

A very vocal minority.
>>
The worst thing is that there's no alternative. Who else makes short, informative (in theory) videos that cover many different topics? I know about one more channel but it's even more marxist and probably dead as well.
>>
>>378547
>Alexander and Hephaestion were almost certainly lovers
This is bullshit, theres not enough information on the subject to say anything with certainty, apart from the famous shitposters Diogenes of Sinope letter
>>
>>378547
Dear god did he say Foucault off the top of his head? Well that confirms him as meme feminist
>>
>>378640

>reading comprehension

"almost certainly", as in there is some room for doubt, but not much

Alexander was by all accounts a chaste man. He probably didn't indulge in sex very often with anyone, but male on male intercourse was quite common in Macedonia and Greece in general during that time. Alexander's own father was assassinated by a disgraced male lover.
>>
File: 1423527925355.jpg (28 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1423527925355.jpg
28 KB, 375x375
>>377777
>this machine kills fascists
>>
>>378640

>It is not the sort of factoid that would necessarily come down through history, but such relationships were quite common at the time, and not just in Greece. The Persian kings retained a collection of eunuchs not only to guard their harems but also for personal pleasure. Certain Greek states frowned on it more than others but pederasty would have been quite normal among the Macedonians. Alexander's father, Phillip II, was assassinated by a disgraced male lover. The extant sources all agree that Alexander and Hephaestion were closer than close; Alexander's grief after Hephaestion's death is evidence enough of that. Alexander appears to have regarded Hephaestion not as an intimate friend or even as a lover, but as an extension of himself, a kind of alter-ego. The funeral he arranged for him at the cost of 12 thousand talents (something like 3 billion dollars in today's money) appears to have been as much a funeral for the King himself as Hephaestion. Again I would advise against appraising sexual orientation and preference in the ancient world through modern, Abrahamic filters.
>>
>>378366
As peacefully as Jews and Christians lived anywhere else in the Empire, so it depends on when, desu. They did all live there though.
>>
>>378547

>Muh sexism because it's always men called The Great
>Proves himself wrong in the very next fucking sentence with Catherine the Great
>>
>>378547
It also misses some points
Napoleon went to Egypt to stop in order to undermine Britains presence in India, and Caesar more than likely didn't burn down the library of Alexandria.
>>
>>378549
>Requests proof
>on a board about history
must be JGITBQHWYDFAM
>>
>>377799
>but you shouldn't make moral statements about actions in the past.
This is why I don't like him. I saw one or two videos that seemed okay until it was obvious how often he injected his opinion into everything. When I learn about history I don't care about people's opinions, I want facts and context. I can generate my own opinion. Injecting his own, especially about morality, is just a filter that provides less clarity and makes someone less trustworthy.

On top of that the facts:opinion ratio is so small because of the compressed style that it's much easier for normal people to come away from a video and remember the emotion and opinions but not actual information like dates or names or even events that happened.

It's the same reason why cable news is so garbage, it's more of a medium for people to impress their opinions on you than to actually convey information.
>>
File: Dan-Carlin3.jpg (54 KB, 472x580) Image search: [Google]
Dan-Carlin3.jpg
54 KB, 472x580
Miss me yet?
>>
>>378547
Any more that are as bad as this one?
>>
>>378761
this, i gotta see more
>>
>>378586
Sure, John Green is really biased, and makes mistakes, but this guy is just as biased in the other direction.
>>
>>378784
At least its right, Greens is just
"Christians baaaaaad"
"Muslims goooooooood"
>>
>>377859
Your prose is atrocious. I just thought you should know.
>>
>>378784

everyone is biased, at least the second guy actually knows what hes talking about
>>
>>378804
Yeah, my reaction was basically this:

>he's not considering the geopolitical situation and the decline of Byzantium as a Christian power and the perceived need to keep it afloat to prevent further Christian lands from being lost

Thucydides help us all.
>>
He's retarded, he said that Hebrews created Monotheism
>>
>>378804
Not really. It goes full on "Christians dindu nuffin POPE WAS A GOOD BOY" and "Muslims are actually the fucking devil and were a constant threat to every Christian bless their souls ;-;"

Seriously. The Crusades had the pomp and splendor of religious warfare, but Christianity hadn't controlled the Levant in centuries. The Spanish Reconquista was a series of wars that went back and forth, and Northern Pagans were never really a massive invading threat to anyone.
>>378821
At least he's better sourced.
>>
>>378821
this, he has actual fucking citations, Greene doesn't as far as i know
>>
>>378826
Also, he said that Jews had no part in Jesus's execution, even though its well known that Pontius Pilate didn't really want to kill him and its the Jews who were angry an Jesus who pushed for the execution
>>
>>378852
My opinion of the Crusades has typically been that they went beyond their original intent and didn't accomplish their goal. However, given that Islam was also trying to conquer Christianity, military action to reverse the situation wasn't anything different than that: reversing the situation.
>>
>>378547
This is the same shitty video that always gets linked.
>>
>>378890
Did Europe as a whole really care about Byzantium though? The Crusades wouldn't have started if Alexios wouldn't have asked for help, which the Crusaders only kind of gave him.
>>
>>378926
They didn't really care, but not because they're cunts, more because famines and wars they already had to deal with
>>
>>378930
I didn't say they were cunts, but like you said, typically, Europe had its own shit to deal with. As I generally was taught, the Crusades were a good way to get rid of a lot of marauding second-third sons that had no prospects of land and just went around running amok.
>>
>>378926
They cared about fellow Christians getting invaded and fucked over, yes. Maybe not Byzantium as a polity, but the general concept.
>>
>>378554
Hussite Wars were A+
>>
>>377777
>the Renaissance never happened because poor people were still poor and btw every invention was stolen from the Arabs
>>
They hate his flavor of pop history when this board is no better and actually largely worse in quality.
>>
>acts like he's some iconic 80's/90's kid's show host
>puts in a bunch of shitty and unnecessary props to make himself look smart
>only introduces the arguments of anything opposing his viewpoints at the most absolute basic level, usually by using an immature caricature of himself to make those arguments appear juvenile
>uses and forces memes to try and connect with the pop culture
>always assumes extremes, such as that one place was absolute shit in all regards, and another place was heaven in all regards
>everything is presented in such a forceful and absolute way that it discourages people watching from actually performing research or trying to find multiple viewpoints, because they believe they've figured it all out by just watching a video

Also his books are shit
>>
>>377777
>HOW DARE YOU, SALLUST, HOW DARE YOU. HOW DARE YOU IGNORE MULTICULTURALISM, POST-COLONIALISM AND VARIOUS POSTMODERN MORAL READINGS OF HISTORY?

>Yeah, 17th century France was pretty great, except if you were a woman, not a catholic, a peasant or a slave.

>You thought Romans were great? Think again. They didn't do anything; the slaves built Rome.

>Cesare Borgia? A bigot, clearly lacking in progressive ideas.

>Why would you read Plato, who doesn't consider the issues queer and transgender people have to face on a daily basis?

This goes on for hours, and is applied to every single bit of history he gets to put his dirty hands on. Literally the most anti-scientific, anti-historical way of explaining history, and doing that in front of a bunch of impressionable teenagers. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>377859
>What is meant by Liberalism encompasses most dominant political movements today, essentially anything left of France’s National Front.....
stopped reading right there
>>
>>377777
>sweat shops provide oppertunity :))))))))
>>
I enjoy Crash Course for the most part, even when I don't agree with him on some occasions (mostly presentism and his odd anti-Greek agenda, whereas I'm a Grecophile). Big History is especially good.
>>
>>378946
>As I generally was taught, the Crusades were a good way to get rid of a lot of marauding second-third sons that had no prospects of land and just went around running amok.

You were taught wrong. That is a myth created by Runciman.
The ones doing the Crusading were not 2nd sons. It was the Nobles themselves. The Crusades were veru expensive, even for powerful nobles.

Take France by the time of the 1st Crusade. Who were the strongest in France?
I would say that in order, they would be: The Duke of Aquitaine, the Count of Flanders, the Count of Toulouse, the Duke of Normandy, the Count of Champagne/Blois, the Count of Anjou, the King of France, the Count of Vermandois and the Duke of Burgundy.

Other than the King of France, all those guys participated in either the 1st Crusade or in the Crusade of 1101.

Do you really think the Count of Flanders, that while not as powerful as the Duke of Aquitaine was the richest men in France, one of the richest in Western Europe, was a second son in need of land? That even if he wanted more land, that the best way of acquiring it would be in the freaking Middle East, far away from Flanders, where in the way he would lose troops and get hungry?
>>
>>378825
what video is this from
>>
>>378826
wasn't that the Zoroastrianism faith
>>
>>379632
Yes, that's why he is retarded
>>
Why do Americans say Hapsburgs?
>>
>>379661
Why not?
>>
>>379686
Because its Habsburg
>>
>>377777
Something about Cheerios and not obsessing over what race sticks in in who.
>>
File: 1440316989384.png (56 KB, 401x372) Image search: [Google]
1440316989384.png
56 KB, 401x372
>>377859
>Yet it seems to me that at any moment his skin might peel off and reveal some monstrous Lovecraftian horror.
>>
Who would /his/ rather listen to: Green, or Extra History?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdzsMEHUBrQ
While they get a lot of flak for general inaccuracies, at least James tends to admit to their errors. I think Extra Credits does a better job at causally informing about history (if you can deal with the squeaky voice), mainly because they focus mainly on specific events, and so they have a core set of themes to emphasize. While they're not entirely correct about every thing they say, using some historical embellishment and anecdotes, I think it adds more flavor, as they present their history as more of a story than just pure information. They've got most of their points correct, and they don't inject their personal opinion too much.
What's your opinion, /his/? Complete garbage bin or is there some decency?
>>
>>379661
because b&p are both pulmonic consonants and prone to swapping, and I guess Americans find the transition from b to s uncomfortable.
>>
>>377777
>>378694
Yeah my problem with him too. John Green's too interested in injecting shitty, forced memes and his own opinions into his garbage content. Absoloutely fucking unbearable guy and fails at being objective and therefore useful in analyzing history.

Stop. Injecting. Your own. Opinion. Into history.
>>
>>378180
>oh by the way he was sexist
Thanks, John, I guess.
>>
>>378547
>the term Great is misogynistic
oh good god
>>
The fact that John Green's shitty series of opinions is a massive hit on youtube is depressing. I wish there was real justice in the world for this kind of faggotry, holy fuck.
>>
>>380612
>>380671

why?

other people already present that way; it's interesting to hear commentary from someone's personal perspective sometimes.
>>
>>380704
Because it's presented as fact, and many people take it as such. He presents himself as if he actually knows this stuff, but he doesn't. It's dishonest and does a great disservice to history. He gets SO much stuff wrong he's also spreading misinformation. It's wrong all over the place.
>>
Don't like him at all. Frames everything in an obviously politicized manner. In doing so sews all sorts of misinformation.
>>
>>380711

>Because it's presented as fact, and many people take it as such.

that sounds like a personal problem

>He presents himself as if he actually knows this stuff, but he doesn't.

if there were ever a more vague statement.

>He gets SO much stuff wrong he's also spreading misinformation.

my impression has always been that given the scope and depth of topics he does and the time he does them in, his videos are pretty useful and accurate; I'd imagine he's not immune to being wrong but I can't really think of any glaring inaccuracies in his videos off the top of my head, let alone a significant share.
>>
>>380730
>In doing so sews all sorts of misinformation.

which videos? surely you can cite a few for me.
>>
>>380736
As previously stated, his crusade video is hugely misleading, the facts aren't necessarily incorrect, but he misses so much detail
>>
File: absolutely barbaric.jpg (160 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
absolutely barbaric.jpg
160 KB, 600x709
>>380465
>>
>>379661
You ever actually say Habsburg in real life? Not that easy
>>
>>377777
Because he disagrees with the conservative circlejerk while mostly agreeing with the liberal circlejerk.

If you werent aware, since a few years ago 4chan became a conservative forum, and thus Green isnt welcome.
>>
File: carlos.jpg (27 KB, 632x464) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
27 KB, 632x464
>>380853
America everyone, let's have a round of claps.
>>
because he spreads misinformation and makes the uneducated dumbasses even more dumber
>>
>>380853
It's literally just two syllables you fucking retard.

>Habs
>burg
>>
File: moma.jpg (84 KB, 897x792) Image search: [Google]
moma.jpg
84 KB, 897x792
>>380865
>more dumber
>>
>>380880
>>380861
fuck you guys
bsb sound ends up sounding like a p
>>
File: photo_verybig_134510[1].jpg (47 KB, 480x353) Image search: [Google]
photo_verybig_134510[1].jpg
47 KB, 480x353
>>380853
>mfw my king was named Simeon Sachsencoburgundgotha

I guess Bush just called him Simeon when he was visiting.
>>
>>380887
You are absolutely disgusting mate. Oh shit sorry, it's the b and s right? Is that why you named you country clapistan, easier to pronounce? Can you order absynth in a bar? Can you into /absurdism/? Can you visit abstract art galleries? I bet you only drink out of red cups you plebeian faggoty shit.
>>
>>380887
>cant speak shit
>its an anglo with speech impediment

everytime
>>
>>380887
>Americans in charge of speaking English
>>
He's popular
>>
File: fucking amateurs....png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fucking amateurs....png
2 MB, 1920x1080
their videos are beyond redemption as a source of historical knowledge.

they are full of anachronisms, bias and just flat out errors.

for example pic related. the guy they highlighted is obviously not cincinnatus,a farmer, he is actually on the right.
>>
>>380977
EVERY single time this one image. Every time. No exceptions. Hundreds of episodes, and even in this one he says out loud that the guy is the farmer, and its just the visual indication thats wrong.
And despite this you take the minor error, the one you can find and repeat every single time, out of tens of hours of content, and you say the whole thing is beyond redemption because of it.
Every time.
>>
>>380985
ive only posted it 3 times. my point isnt that this single mistake is enough to disregard his videos. its just an example of the lackluster effort that is put into the content that is used to educate highschoolers.

his videos should not have the ambition of being used as educational tools by actual schools if they cant get very simple things right.

my biggest problems are his constant anachronisms which have been already mentioned in this thread.
>>
>>380985
i should also point out why the fuck would i watch hundreds of episode of shit just to point out how bad they are.
>>
>>381040
>i've never watched these videos, but they are all beyond redemption
>>
>>381042
i watched one about turks and venetians having some sorta relationship which absolutely missed the point and didnt deliver any proof on his idea, im not gona waste time and watch every single one them just to point out mistakes

john green pls go, you are a shit tier "teacher" and should educate yourself before attempting to educate others

you are just making money on young and dumb ppl
>>
>>378232
As you would expect from a 'youtube historian', especially with how libkeks seem to dominate most popular sites.
>>
>>381054
Your post absolutely misses the point and you dont deliver any proof on your idea.
>>
>>381064
>my feelings are hurt so ill make a weak attempt as a comeback by copying your post

this is why you are shit john, please go and stay go
>>
>>378232
>In short, he's a self flagellating liberal kekold
>>378480
>I now hate him without even knowing him or why I'm in /his/
>>381058
>libkeks dominate most popular sites

Please keep /pol/ on /pol/. The thread had zero political charge and you come here throwing the keks and dank /pol/ memes.
Dont do that.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCLNbGdXXK0
Seen this shit posted

>italy joins central powers
>germans focus on wussia
>england and france have a combined population equivalent to that of Germany, no, colonies don't count, those are just a bunch of niggers
>everybody joins, except those powers that would join the entente
>england attacks, but in 1915
>>
>>381073
No, I mean it. Your post absolutely misses the point and you dont deliver any proof on your idea.
The question was how can you judge something as beyond redemption when you havent experienced even 1% of it. Your answer is empty insults and zero arguments.
>>
>>381086
>no, colonies don't count, those are just a bunch of niggers

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>/pol/
>>
>>381093
i am not going to make you more money by clicking on all your shit so keep being mad
>>
>>381097
>Colonies only existing to make mad dosh is relevant in any way except economically.
>>
>>381099
Still no argument, still just shit flinging. I accept your surrender.
>>
>>381105
>african forces annex german africa
>indian and australian forces fight everywhere
>you are retarded
>>
>>381097
That was the point of the video, not mine you moronic fag
>>
>>377777
I don't, his Crash Course stuff isn't bad. But to ignore the fact that he has a particular epistemology is silly
>>
>>377777
Because people are mad that high school level history youtube videos fed to you are not as detailed as academic sources that you have to read yourself
>>
>>380914
>>380915
>>380922
>unironically making fun of a b/p switch in a word describing a group of people who are widely known for being too fucking dumb to tell the difference between w/v and f/v
See >>380465

The Halvesburgs are overrated anyway
>>
>>377777
Nice digits
I decided to watch his video on dark ages to see if people were just memeing but first few seconds proved to me they weren't
>>
File: 1_0.jpg (22 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
1_0.jpg
22 KB, 500x388
>this machine kills fascists
>>
File: spongebob squareface.png (272 KB, 530x525) Image search: [Google]
spongebob squareface.png
272 KB, 530x525
>>381264
>being a triggered fascist
>>
File: disdanium.jpg (34 KB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
disdanium.jpg
34 KB, 426x426
>>381295
>being a being
>>
File: WhenYouRealizeYouFuckedAHeretic.jpg (160 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
WhenYouRealizeYouFuckedAHeretic.jpg
160 KB, 900x900
>>377777
>mfw jean vert
>mfw johann grun
>mfw juan verde
>mfw giovanni verde
>mfw ivan zeleny
>mfw jan zelena
>>
>>381315
they dont think it be like it is but it do
>>
File: habsburg beauty.jpg (48 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
habsburg beauty.jpg
48 KB, 600x400
>>381228
>G-guys, stop bullying! It's not my fault our shitty education didn't teach us how to pronounce things literally everyone else can!
>>
Wait, John Green is here?

How do you like your Cheerios?
>>
>>380909

He got no surname, didnt you read the book by Constantine of Greece? He includes the following anecdote:
>Been stoped by the Police in the US
>Not carrying anything to identify
>Policeman: Name?
>Constantine: Constantine.
>P: Surname?
>C: I dont have one, I am prince of Greece.
>P: And your friend?
>C: He is my cousin Simeon, neither has he a surname, he is king of Bulgaria.
>They ended in the Police Station.
>>
>>381517
Its a good joke, but Simeon is known here for changing his surname from "von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha" to "Sakskoburgotski" to sound more bulgarian for his political campaign.
>>
>>381228
let me hear you roll an R elmer
>>
>>378496
My class was actually shown in my history class.
>>
File: 1441685469679.jpg (368 KB, 840x700) Image search: [Google]
1441685469679.jpg
368 KB, 840x700
>>381650
The memes are coming to life
>>
File: da phuc.jpg (19 KB, 552x539) Image search: [Google]
da phuc.jpg
19 KB, 552x539
>>381650
>>
>>377777
Checked
>>
File: this machine.png (221 KB, 765x277) Image search: [Google]
this machine.png
221 KB, 765x277
>>381295
>>
>>378235
Everyone wants to be their very own version of Tesla.
Even I am guilty of having gone that road at some point...
>>
>>381664
Took you 4 minutes to decipher his odd sentence. You're cool.
>>
>>378666
>Alexander's father, Phillip II, was assassinated by a disgraced male lover.
a fucking straight up rumor, it isn't known why Pausanias did what he did but it is said that he was raped and that Phillip did nothing about it
>>
>>381845
>The extant sources all agree that Alexander and Hephaestion were closer than close; Alexander's grief after Hephaestion's death is evidence enough of that.
overlooked this, apparently it is taboo to feel intense grief at the loss of a good friend?
why did Hephaestion have to be his fuckboy for the tears to flow? this author clearly has an agenda
>>
File: nigga.png (90 KB, 845x841) Image search: [Google]
nigga.png
90 KB, 845x841
his fanbase, since it's mostly made up of ignorant people who refuse to crack open a book and rely on 10 minute long cheat-sheet youtube videos with constant references to pop culture so they don't try to kill themselves while watching
>>
>>381650
same here, we watched the imperialism one
>>
The only people who care so much about this are the ones that think history can ever be objective (protip: it can't). They think he's bad because it's so clearly subjective, which he by the way, is totally clear and honest about.
Unless you're capable of critical thinking his stuff of course isn't fit for you, but then again, you should probably not be learning your history from youtube at all.
>>
>>381962
>Unless you're capable of critical thinking his stuff of course isn't fit for you, but then again, you should probably not be learning your history from youtube at all.
That's the problem, though. It's not fit for random people, and it's not fit for historically-minded people, either. History values primary sources for a reason and he doesn't. It's a morality class using "history" as the tool.

Compare him to someone like Dan Carlin, who often adds his own thoughts and opinions, but does so beside quoting source material and does it in a way to provide context instead of teaching you some kind of retarded lesson.

Seriously, take a look at what you're saying here. It's ok for him to lather bullshit on top of it because you can critically think it away, rather than having less bullshit and allowing you to think critically about what he's presenting without having to judge his bullshit first?

It's worthless middlebrow garbage. It will be worth even less 5, 10, 50 years from now, except perhaps as a lens into the faults of our own society.
>>
>>380743
See >>378547
>>
I hate his voice. So fucking annoying.
>>
>>378297
One of the worst comments I've seen on /his/

and that's saying something
>>
File: 1444336344184.png (411 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1444336344184.png
411 KB, 500x500
>>377777
Those sweet fucking quints.
>>
>>378209
He looks good for 40.
>>
>>381962
>which he by the way, is totally clear and honest about.
That's the problem. The pretense of distancing yourself to get a "nuanced" view is ultimately a rhetorical technique that serves his particular narrative.
>>
>>378366
During the early 1910s? Yes. Well, moreso than most other places at the time according to accounts. I don't think it was as "oooo wen britam cam n tuk pelstin evry1 h8 echuver bt mudslim terk h@ndl rite" as Green seems to suggest.
>>
>>379272
>Cesare Borgia? A Templar. Clearly lacking the Apple of Eden.
>>
>>380440
I MUCH rather Extra History, especially their 'Lies' series, which outlines the inaccuracies and dramatisation in their videos. However, the channel itself is first and foremost, a show that talks about concepts in gaming. Also, Green's Crash Course series covers FAR more topics in small quantities which are easy to digest.
>>
Tumblr likes him and I try to avoid everything Tumblr likes
>>
Is there anything more disgusting than someone who hates themselves, their race and traditional culture?

You would never find these attitudes in any other people other than white librulz.
>>
>>377859
You're an even bigger faggot than John Green.
>>
>>377884
>everything european is bad
He did a video about 19th century nationalism focused not on, say, the development of the ideology during the Napoleonic Wars, the German Unification Wars, anything like that but instead focused exclusively on Japan.

He will go out of his way to ignore or downplay Europe.
>>
>>380730
Watch his video on the Odyssey
>>
>>378496
Gee talk about an orwellian education

I am glad there is a board like this where people want to learn truth history.
>>
File: 1439933987259.jpg (96 KB, 800x437) Image search: [Google]
1439933987259.jpg
96 KB, 800x437
>>377918
>>
>>382566
>Is there anything more disgusting than someone who hates themselves, their race and traditional culture?
It's possible the people you are referring to simply associate themselves with all of humanity more than you do, as opposed with whatever arbitrary line you draw in the sand to define your brand of tribalism.
>>
I have a better question: is there any vlogger that is not a fucking pseudo-intellectual tryhard?
>>
>>383245
Indeed, I'll never understand people who feel proud or shame over something they had zero control over.
You did not achieve being born, you simply happened to be born and that's it. Why should you be proud or ashamed?
>>
>>383257
feel pride*
>>
>>383257
People want a feeling of transcendence, to feel like they are apart of something bigger than themselves to make themselves feel important. You could do that by strongly associating with all of humanity, but "us vs them" mentalities are easier to maintain and more motivating. Humans thrive on competition.
>>
>>383268
But that's selfish, this mentality is basically trying to get the merits of a few selected people just because you happened to be born similar to them.
You're not defining your own person like this.
>>
>>377777

I don't hang out on /his/ much but what's wrong with his history crash course videos?
>>
File: caged.png (79 KB, 300x248) Image search: [Google]
caged.png
79 KB, 300x248
>>383245
Martin Luther King said to judge people by the content of their character.

If someone supports affirmative action and believes in conspiracy theories about how the white man is keeping the black man down, why shouldn't I judge them by the content of their character?

Doing anything else makes you a kuckold. You are basically saying "you can treat me like a doormat and abuse the fuck out of anti-racism for your own personal neurotic little games, shitting all over the struggle your ancestors went through and I will sit here and nod my head".
>>
>>383292
There's a difference between not being an SJW and not being a white supremacist.
>>
>>383281
That's what we're discussing in this thread.
>>
>>383300
o, maybe
>>
>>383300
Is it? Aren't they the exact same shit?
>>
>>383334
Are you implying that not being a white supremacist makes you an SJW?
>>
>>383292
You can judge them if they aren't being fair or saying shit that is flat out wrong, but you should also keep in mind where they are coming from. They don't necessarily strongly associate with the groups you associate with. They don't feel like they are betraying anyone nor should we expect them to.

You thing you can call them out on though is hypocrisy by infantilizing the groups they think they are sticking up for. By saying "I am a white person therefore it is my duty to help out the suffering black people" they are obviously grouping themselves with all white people and therefore the whole "I'm not just white, I'm human" defense goes out of the window. I guess you could berate them for that. It's one thing to recognize "problematic" socioeconomic situations and try to fix them and it is quite another to try and blame people for what people did hundreds of years ago just because they were born white. John Green did it once (maybe it was just a stupid joke, IDK) when he said that he deserved to be shocked for "being part of the patriarchy".
>>
>>383338
No you autist, I'm implying they are exactly the same shit, only with opposite ideas. You really don't get it do you?
>the whining
>the strawmen
>the cherrypicking of data
>the hugbox
>the internet bitching
>hating other people for the color of their skin
>no fun allowed
>>
>>383353
that we both agree with
>>
>>383275
"But" nothing. I wasn't making value judgements. I was just stating it how it is.
>>
File: angelina jolie pitt.jpg (154 KB, 699x393) Image search: [Google]
angelina jolie pitt.jpg
154 KB, 699x393
>>383358
OK then.

Pic unrelated
>>
sign on his computers says: "this machine kills fascists".

Nuff said. He is a PC liberal cunt who is an effective and interesting educator, but portrays things through the prism of progressivism. I guess the same thing could be done much more disgustingly, but still it's pretty bad.
>>
>>383257
>>383275
>have no choice over being born
>spend a decade being raised by loving parents and a caring community
>become edgy teenager and ungratefully hate them
Yeah, whatever

>arbitrary line
Arbitrary line of culture? Speaking English instead of some other language is about as different as saying the difference between humans and rocks is arbitrary. As in, it's not arbitrary at all, it's literally generations of people building something for you and you spending at least the first 15 or 20 years of your life learning and appreciating it.
>>
>>383275
Yeah, humans tend to be irrational like that.
>>
>>377859

Bretty gud if you ask me. I don't get the guys who banter.
>>
>>383390
Apparently not feeling pointless ''pride'' over something they had no control over makes someone edgy and ungrateful.
I'd feel pride over something I've achieved with my own hard work, being born is not hard work.
>>
File: laffing to death.jpg (35 KB, 229x343) Image search: [Google]
laffing to death.jpg
35 KB, 229x343
>>383371
>filename
>>
>>383409
how old are you? Is your the only achievement in your life being born?

How do you have no control over it? Are you not a part of your community and society?

How is being born not hard work? Life is fragile as can be. Do you think it was easy for your mother to give birth and raise you?
>>
>>383390
The line is arbitrary in that you'd have just as much justification increasing the scope of what you define as you "tribe" or shrinking it.

Should I just look out for me?
Should I just look out for my immediate family?
Should I just look out for my extended family?
Should I just look out for my neighborhood?
Should I just look out for my county?
Should I just look out for my state?
Should I just look out for my country?
Should I just look out for whatever wishy-washy distinctions define "muh culture"?
Should I just look out for people who look like me?
Should I just look out for my species?
Should I just look out for living things?

It's hard to say that any one of those are better than the others.
>>
>>383438
>how old are you? Is your the only achievement in your life being born?
I don't think you get it, I don't consider being born to be an achievement
>How do you have no control over it? Are you not a part of your community and society?
I did not choose to part of it, therefore I had no control
>How is being born not hard work? Life is fragile as can be. Do you think it was easy for your mother to give birth and raise you?
In this case it's my mother who did the hard work, not me.
>>
>>383390
You live in a world where cultural heritage has become more irrelevant than ever. Of course you're sentimental. Doesn't mean it's remotely rational in any way though.
>>
>>383440
For one thing it's not arbitrary at all. Caring for people you know is a natural result of actually being alive. People don't care more for their families than strangers because they made some arbitrary decision. Not all distinctions are arbitrary, which is what you're implying. If you think all of those have "just as much" justification then you really haven't put much thought into it.

Regardless, it's irrelevant to what the original point was, which is that you should have pride in who you are.

>>383456
>I don't think you get it, I don't consider being born to be an achievement
That's because you're a fucking retard.
>In this case it's my mother who did the hard work, not me.
Yes, we went over you being ungrateful

>I did not choose to part of it, therefore I had no control
You haven't chosen to be a part of it? Why do you stay? Why do you speak in your language? Why do you socialize with your culture? Why haven't you moved, why haven't you tried to change it? Every minute you're alive is a choice you've made to continue being a part of it.

>>383472
that doesn't explain why anyone would exhibit more pride and interest in foreign cultures rather than their own other than
>edgy teenager
>grass is greener
>>
>>383494
>That's because you're a fucking retard.
dat argument
>>
>>383494
>That's because you're a fucking retard.
Nice
>Yes, we went over you being ungrateful
I'm not ''ungrateful'', I simply do not try to get my mother's merits
>You haven't chosen to be a part of it? Why do you stay? Why do you speak in your language? Why do you socialize with your culture? Why haven't you moved, why haven't you tried to change it? Every minute you're alive is a choice you've made to continue being a part of it.
There's one part you keep misunderstanding.
See, I like the culture and society I was born in, but at the same time as much as I might like it I did not get to pick it. I simply happened to be born in it.
I did not build any of this, I did not contribute to any of this, I achieved nothing. So why should I feel proud over the hard work of other people? That actually seems very disrespectul to them, trying to make their merits also yours.
Oh and yeah, since I have something called ''free will'' nothing stops me from moving somewhere else if I wished to.
>>
>>381845

That Pausanias was Phillip's lover is simple historical fact.

>>381851

It wasn't just tears you cretin. Alexander lost many friends over the years. He wept after slaughtering Kleitos, whom he did not even particularly like. But staging the grandest funeral ceremony in human history indicates more than the loss of a close friend. As I said, Alexander regarded Hephaestion as a kind of alter-ego; the funeral was for Alexander as much as it was Hephaestion. He even had the sacred flame of Babylon extinguished on the occasion, which is only supposed to happen when the Great King dies. Alexander sent to the oracle at Siwa (the same oracle that years earlier had declared him the son of Zeus-Amun) to ask if Hephaestion could be paid divine honors.

Alexander also had the eunuch of Darius in his possession, whom he seems to have adored greatly. Arrian and other historians relate an account where the two even kissed in public.

Stop trying to apply modern binary sexual mores to the ancient world where they have no place.
>>
>>383494
>For one thing it's not arbitrary at all. Caring for people you know is a natural result of actually being alive. People don't care more for their families than strangers because they made some arbitrary decision. Not all distinctions are arbitrary, which is what you're implying. If you think all of those have "just as much" justification then you really haven't put much thought into it.
Maybe you should brush up on the definition of arbitrary. It IS arbitrary if there is no good reason to choose one over the others. That doesn't mean it's bad to choose. Everyone wants to live for something bigger than themselves and it's hard to say any one way of achieving transcendence is better than another.

>Regardless, it's irrelevant to what the original point was, which is that you should have pride in who you are.
I have pride in being human. Does that count?
>>
>>383516
>dat argument
He's the one without an argument

>>383525
>I did not build any of this, I did not contribute to any of this, I achieved nothing.
So you've literally done nothing in your life? You've never made a joke or made someone smile? You never made someone else feel like they have a community around them?

>See, I like the culture and society I was born in
The original point was that this faggot takes every opportunity he can to show his dislike of western culture

>I did not get to pick it. I simply happened to be born in it.
So what? You're in it now. You continue to choose to be. You continue to benefit from it. You continue to soak in the accomplishments of others. Presumably you do actually do some things to add to it, even if it is merely labor, even though you seem to want to indicate otherwise. So what if you didn't pick it? You're still here. You didn't pick your body, either, do you not like it? Do you not feel like you are a part of yourself because your body was given to you? Do you not feel responsible for your own wellbeing, or for any of your growth, because you have taken care of your body? Do you not choose to care for and nurture yourself both physically and mentally to maintain it and make it better?

>So why should I feel proud over the hard work of other people
At the very least because they chose you to be a part of it
>>
>>383560
>It IS arbitrary if there is no good reason to choose one over the others.
Well then it's not arbitrary, is it? Was the house you live in arbitrarily chosen?

20 years from now, will your choices of housing and preferences taste be arbitrary?

>I have pride in being human. Does that count?
Once again I'd like to remind you that this came up because the faggot op youtube historian exhibits pride in foreign cultures at the expense of his own.

And no, it doesn't count, at least not from following your argument.
>>
>>383569
The difference is that I actually get to work on my body and choose what I want to do with it.
Did I get to choose my race? No.
Did I get to choose my facial features? No.
Therefore, I had no control over being born the way I did.
However, do I get to choose what type of body I want? Yes, it's called staying healthy and excersising, something that actually is an achievement.

Ultimately I feel like this conversations boils down to individualism vs collectivism, we could literally go on and on forever.
>>
>>383617
>The difference is that I actually get to work on my body and choose what I want to do with it.
You don't get to work on your society, community, culture? That's what we're talking about.

>individualism vs collectivism, we could literally go on and on forever
I don't think so, because there's no such thing as a true individual. Were you fucking raised by wolves? Who taught you English?

Even if you're some wacked out mountain-man recluse you might be a part of a culture of people who do that.
>>
>>383642
I get to work simply to live, I need money to survive.
That's it.
>>
>>383587
>Well then it's not arbitrary, is it? Was the house you live in arbitrarily chosen?
Fair point, but shit being arbitrary is aspectrum. If you hold out a bunch of identically flavored gumballs of different colors and tell me to choose and I choose the blue one because my girlfriend has a favorite blue necklace then we would call that decision pretty arbitrary.

I guess my point is that you can't hold someone else choosing a different color gumball against them, you can't hold someone strongly associating with just their family or with all of humanity instead of whatever group you happen to associate.

And I think Green's problem is that he sacrificies objectivity in an attempt to diversify pepole's world view. Everyone thinks the Greeks are great so he tries to get the viewers to question that. Everyone is familiar with European history so he stresses non-European history.
>>
>>383666
All of this -- acting like your culture is arbitrary -- implies that you have zero future, that you will not impact the lives of anyone you meet, that you will never have children, that you will never teach anyone anything. Even a mountain-man recluse might have chidlren, who he teaches things to, or he might run into someone some day and save their life or whatever because he's an outdoorsman.

Everything you do impacts other people, who are presumably from your society, or community, or culture, and it influences their decisions and lives. We're speaking the same language because of these kind of shared similarities and brief moments where people's lives intersect. Acting like you have no part in that, or never will have a part in that, is really short thinking.

>That's it.
Even if that were true, if you were literally some kind of braindead person whose only functions were to earn money and then spend it, you would be participating in a society and influencing people's lives. You'd be earning and then redistributing wealth according to your decisions, like food choices, shelter, etc., which would economically affect the people around you and either reinforcing or changing their perceptions on community and their culture.
>>
>>383692
Who said I don't get to impact anything or anyone?
I just don't feel proud nor ashamed over being born in a society I didn't get to pick, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna enjoy it.
>>
>>383679
>I guess my point is that you can't hold someone else choosing a different color gumball against them
I mean at the most fundamental level choices like this can be arbitrary, like if you drill a decision down to the point where you no longer have any more relevant information to add to your decision, then you are effectively making an small arbitrary choice, but that doesn't then taint the whole process into being arbitrary. You're choosing to eat the gumball, you're choosing the color because of her necklace, and she that might be her favorite necklace and her favorite color might be blue because you arbitrarily picked out a nice blue necklace to buy for her one day. And the guy who made the blue necklace might have chosen it because of his favorite color stone which he saw in some little river by his childhood home that his mother used to take him to on walks. And people in that community might like taking their children on walks through the woods because... etc.

It's a bootstrap process that turns arbitrary into meaningful. Just because you didn't choose to be born doesn't make everything after that arbitrary.

>And I think Green's problem is that he sacrificies objectivity in an attempt to diversify pepole's world view. Everyone thinks the Greeks are great so he tries to get the viewers to question that. Everyone is familiar with European history so he stresses non-European history.
I might be able to agree with this if he weren't making youtube videos for people who have no fucking clue about history. His target audience is people who have no idea about anything to do with the Greeks, and very often he downplays theirs or other western civilization achievements in favor of foreign cultures.

I can't help but think of that attitude as being anything other than slightly pathetic at best.
>>
>>383705
>>The difference is that I actually get to work on my body and choose what I want to do with it.
>You don't get to work on your society, community, culture? That's what we're talking about.
You were born into it, raised by it, continue to live in it, and impact it in the future. Literally not having the capability of having any pride in it because of the reasons you've given necessarily implies that you won't be proud of it in the future.

Every choice you've made today is a choice you made out of things your culture and community presented you with. Are all of your choices arbitrary? Do you not make any thoughtful choices? Are you never going to look back at today and feel pride or shame in your decisions and actions?

How can you take pride in your body and make choices about staying healthy and exercising, but not be able to do that with your community around you? Do you just idly sit by and watch your community rot without ever doing anything? Is that what you've done every year of your life so far?
>>
>>383725
>I might be able to agree with this if he weren't making youtube videos for people who have no fucking clue about history.
Everyone and their mother have some understanding of history. Everyone knows the ancient Greeks were a big deal and they invented democracy and some shit and made all those pretty statues... No one knows about the Persians though or the fact that Greeks used a lot of slavery and the Persians largely didn't.

So I disagree with you. I think he understands his target audience pretty well. You just aren't part of that target audience. You also seem to strongly identify with Europeans and white people's accomplishments throughout history and therefore get little offended when a white person in America of largely European ancestry doesn't doesn't do the same. That's understandable. It's not necessarily "right" that you are getting offended, but it's understandable.
>>
>>378235
>>379272
This. He's disgustingly biased and loves to inject his politics wherever he can get away with it, bordering on not-so-subtle propaganda.

A crash course in history should present all the relevant facts in a clear and objective manner and then maybe take note of different schools of thought pertaining to them. You can present your personal opinion too, but should clearly denote it as such and encourage your audience to think about it themselves and form their own conclusions. Green invites his audience (which he assumes to be impressionable teenagers) to gobble up his liberal sermon unquestioned in hopes of raising them into right-thinking (or should I say "left-thinking"?) people who dutifully nod along whenever he cries about misogyny or whatever social hot topic of the present is on his agenda at the time. Even where I happen to agree with his opinion I can't stand the way he injects it.

So yeah, fuck that guy.
>>
>>383799
I was presented that culture and community randomly, simply because I happened to be born in them. All I did was simply using them to advance in life.
Why is that so hard so understand for you? You're way too emotional.
Also define ''rot'' please. Are you some kind of hardcore traditionalist whining over muh degeneracy?
>>
>>383833
>I was presented that culture and community randomly, simply because I happened to be born in them.
right, and then you continued to live in it, continued to influence it and have impact on it. Unless you have literally sat in a bubble for however long you've been alive you have participated in your community and culture and have shaped it in some way. You have either accepted it or not.

>All I did was simply using them to advance in life.
And you don't think that's pathetic? You think praising some foreign culture or civilization at the expense of your own isn't pathetic?

You're trying to tell me that you have basically no self-worth right now and that it's not pathetic. Do you not like who you are and how you think? Do you not appreciate the things you like? Those were all "arbitrary" things presented and taught to you and chosen by you based on what your community and culture are like.

>Also define ''rot'' please.
Rot is just the natural state of things. The world wears everything down. Everything requires maintenance. Everything around you was built by someone else, and everything that remains for the duration of your life or after it will be either built, maintained, or forgotten and disregarded by you.

>>383820
>Everyone and their mother have some understanding of history.
No, that's one of the worst things about him. Most people have a token idea of history and he fills in the blanks with a bunch of gotchas about how everything you knew was wrong and how x,y,z were actually better. Seriously, the whole premise is insulting at best. If one of your friends made a video like his about your life it might be funny between yourselves but you would never want anyone else to watch it let alone form their entire opinion off of it.

>You also seem to strongly identify with Europeans .. when he doesn't do the same
He's "teaching" this to others. It's irrelevant, because if he were Chinese doing this about Chinese history I'd still think it's pathetic.
>>
>>383924
Who said I did not accept it? My entire point is that you shouldn't feel proud or ashamed about where you were born, you simply accept it and go with it while shaping your own path.
Who said I favor other cultures? My entire ''philosophy'' includes them as well. I'm literally neutral about any of this.
And what if I prefered another culture to mine anyway? It's called freedom of thought.

>You're trying to tell me that you have basically no self-worth right now and that it's not pathetic. Do you not like who you are and how you think? Do you not appreciate the things you like? Those were all "arbitrary" things presented and taught to you and chosen by you based on what your community and culture are like.

Right, you're way too emotional about this subject.

>Rot is just the natural state of things. The world wears everything down. Everything requires maintenance. Everything around you was built by someone else, and everything that remains for the duration of your life or after it will be either built, maintained, or forgotten and disregarded by you.

Nothing lasts forever anon, history should have taught you that.
>>
>>377859
>The host of media surrounding the man is steeped in modern ideology. We sit at the end of history, and we won!
Did you watch the end of his Crash Course History series, where he explicitly calls this idea out as bullshit and how there is no "end of history", we're living in history right now, and so has everyone else for all of time?
>>
>>378297
His video on the Mughals that didn't even mention their brutal oppression of Hindus and Sikhs was pretty hilarious. The martyrdom of Guru Arjan was kind of a huge deal for the Sikh religion, so I thought it would at least get a mention considering how much he loves talking about non-European cultures and religions.
>>
>>383924
>No, that's one of the worst things about him. Most people have a token idea of history and he fills in the blanks with a bunch of gotchas about how everything you knew was wrong and how x,y,z were actually better. Seriously, the whole premise is insulting at best. If one of your friends made a video like his about your life it might be funny between yourselves but you would never want anyone else to watch it let alone form their entire opinion off of it.
You are wrong, and obviously so. Everyone in the developed world learns history. Everyone knows stuff about the Romans and the Greeks and about the world wars. Just because they don't know as much as you or me doesn't' mean they know nothing. You are making an absurd simplification of the public's understanding of history.

>He's "teaching" this to others. It's irrelevant, because if he were Chinese doing this about Chinese history I'd still think it's pathetic.
And I also explained to you why. He is trying to diversify his audience's understanding of history and doesn't strongly associate with any race, culture, or nationality. I'd respect a chinaman doing the same thing instead of spouting off sino-centric bullshit.
>>
>>383985
>Who said
You keep saying things, and I keep asking you questions rhetorically that show otherwise.

>Who said I favor other cultures?
Can you? If you can't feel pride in your own culture, how could you about another? If it's just about favor, why are we even discussing this? If it's just about favor, how come someone like faggot op youtube historian favors others at the expense of his own so much?

I feel like we went over this already.
>edgy teenager
>grass is greener

That shit might work for someone who literally is an edgy teenager but the dude is fucking 40 years old and does youtube history lessons. What is not pathetic about selling contrarian bullshit to people who on the same maturity level of edgy teenagers, or who are ignorant enough not to know any better?

>And what if I prefered another culture to mine anyway? It's called freedom of thought.
That's fine, but if you do that and choose to keep living in your own society and culture it comes off as pathetic edgelord shit, and if you do it while making youtube history videos then it's pathetic and disinformative.

>Right, you're way too emotional
I mean you could just answer those questions affirmatively and then it wouldn't be pathetic. How is that related to my emotions at all?

>Nothing lasts forever anon, history should have taught you that.
Pretty sure I just taught you that since you had to ask what rot meant. Why would you do that, anyway, if you're not going to answer the question?

>How can you take pride in your body and make choices about staying healthy and exercising, but not be able to do that with your community around you? Do you just idly sit by and watch your community rot without ever doing anything? Is that what you've done every year of your life so far?

You just answered the same line of questions about your body and said you could take pride in it because you shape it, but now you're all
>hurr durr what's rot i don't affect my community
>>
>>377777
The fact is that the videos themselves are purely not meant or made for /his/ autists. Rather, they're meant for high school students/junior high students. This clearly explains the quick pace, inclusion of modern morality to appear "relatable", and among many other different additions that, to /his/ are worthy of deserving being crucified.
>>
just watch his video about Alexander the Great

He spent the whole time talking about how great Persia was, and how misogynist Greeks were, and commits the blunder of claiming only men are called "the Great", forgetting about Catharine.
But yeah you don't actually learn anything about Alexander.
>>
>>384212
>forgetting about Catharine
He didn't even forget her, which makes it even worse, he instead performs some mental gymnastics in order to claim she doesn't count for reasons I can't comprehend. That's how dogmatic and close-minded his thinking is. If it doesn't fit the feminist narrative, it can't be and/or doesn't count.
>>
THE RUS WEREN'T VIKINGS

HOW DO I KNOW THIS?

BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON I THINK THE RUSSIAN LANGUAGE DEVELOPED FROM THE LANGUAGE OF THE ORIGINAL RUS AND RUSSIANS DON'T SPEAK SWEDISH

REGARDS, JOHN GREEN
>>
>>383257
>>383275
>b-but the nature of humanity doesn't line up with my idealist and perfectionist logic!
>>
>>377779
O Sheeit
>>
>>383440
Cultural pride isn't about only caring about people of one culture or nation, it's about priority. A human would work to support their own family before they worked to support someone of another family. They would also work to support people of their own culture before working to support the people of some other culture.
>>
>>384151
Wrong, senpai. This implies that he's trying to make people want to study history more, but that's not at all the case. When you're introducing an impressionable audience, and you impose a clear bias on them, they will only choose and trust sources which follow that bias, and disregard all others.
>>
>>384297

did he actually say this shit? Is he getting his history from Slavic nationalists or something? Does he think the Primary Chronicle just pulled that shit out of thin air? Were the Rus' viking-style raids down the Dnieper in the 9th century just a tactic they invented without outside help?

Does he think the settlement of Normandy is bullshit too?
>>
>>378408
It was basically rich men not paying taxes to other rich dudes though right? I'm emphasizing the class though not gender
>>
>>378709
How do people who actually know history feel about Carlin?

I'm an admitted history dilettante for now so I have trouble judging how good his summaries are. They are entertaining though
>>
>>378709
>Miss me
Did he stop doing podcasts or something? Curious because I just started listening to him.
>>
>>384557
He still does them it just takes forever, as far as I know.
>>
Speaking of internet history personalities:

Does anyone like Mike Duncan and his History of Rome podcast? I don't have any in depth knowledge of history so its entertaining to me and there are so many episodes it lasts forever.

http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/
>>
>>377777
everyone looks at history with a bias some people are unaware of the fact they are biased and others who are aware of this bias are likely no aware of just how biased they are
John green on the other hand intentionally looks at history through a bias
>>
>>383725
>I might be able to agree with this if he weren't making youtube videos for people who have no fucking clue about history. His target audience is people who have no idea about anything to do with the Greeks, and very often he downplays theirs or other western civilization achievements in favor of foreign cultures.
Are you absolutely sure? His videos scream "Here is the other side of things that you weren't taught about in school" to be. They assume a context of already having heard a ton of stuff about how great European civilization is.
>>
>>384212
>He spent the whole time talking about how great Persia was, and how misogynist Greeks were
The video assumes you've already heard the narrative about the heroic Greeks, champions of democracy and ancestors to our perfect modern political system, fought off the oppressive Persian empire.

He's specifically trying to provide a counter-narrative.
>>
>>385120
>John green on the other hand intentionally looks at history through a bias
Isn't this a good thing? What would something better be?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.