[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/ I'm curious, could a military coup be possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 630x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 630x700
Hey /his/ I'm curious, could a military coup be possible in a modern first world country?

How do coups even happen?
>>
>>375289
Yes, France had a coup in 1958, and the government was reformed and a new constitution was drafted up, and that's how France entered it's fifth republic.
>>
>>375296
its*

Feel free to read up on the Algerian War. You might also want to watch the Battle of Algiers, just for context.
>>
>>375289
>could a military coup be possible in a modern first world country?
Off the top of my head France, Greece, UK (planned), Au (planned, multiple), Italy (planned by USA)
>>
>>375289
Sure. Harold Wilson almost fell to one. It's a simple matter of the government losing control of the military and/or intelligence agencies.
>>
Turkey had pretty regular coups during Cold War aimed at balancing democracy.
>>
>>375289
>could a military coup be possible in a modern first world country
I don't think so. Legitimacy would be a very big issue, both internal and international, plus military hierachies don't really have anywhere close the prestige required to sway soldiers to their cause anymore.
Intelligence/corporate coups have a far higher chnage to manage a puppet government while pulling strings from behind.
>>
People in the military make friends with other government agencies and typically capitalize on a growing dissatisfaction with the current regime.
I guess it's possible, but it sure as fuck wouldn't be easy.
>>
>>375537
But intelligence communities are incompetent and would rather just look important while doing nothing of consequence on the dole.
>>
>>375549
>But intelligence communities are incompetent

They don't have much trouble destabilising regimes halfway around the world.
>>
>>375549
Tbqf their methods are so powerful they don't even need to be particularly competent, just well-financed and motivated (probably by money and power, which is why I wrote intelligence/corporate). I do agree it would still be a low chance coup, but still higher chance than military.
>>
>>375537
That's why you have to make the current regime look illegitimate.
>>
>>375651
And how could the soldiers manage that? I'd say they don't have the resources even in America, nevermind the rest of the world.
It would literally take the coup being a counter coup for them to achieve any kind of legitimacy.
>>
File: 1942 not joining the axis.jpg (14 KB, 160x181) Image search: [Google]
1942 not joining the axis.jpg
14 KB, 160x181
>>375289
>could a military coup be possible in a modern first world country?

Possible, but highly unlikely given how nuzzled most first-world armies are.

>How do coups even happen?

Generally when the army has significant political influence that can compete with the civil government. Usually coups are the result of officers thinking they could run the country better than the elected (?) officials and soldiers having more loyalty to the armed forces than to the civil state (which, from my experience, isn't that hard to find even in first world armies).

It should also be noted that having historical (e.g. Bruma) or legal precedent (e.g. Turkey) tends to help as well. Then it's easier to pass it off as not so much a "military revolt" and more of a "we're restoring sanity to the government" thing.
>>
>>375552
Nations that were not particularly stable to begin with. Hence a nice funding stream for separatist groups will make things happen.

But it's not at all given that the separatists succeed or keep obeying their intel masters. Or that the coup itself was beneficial to the intel's employer nation.
>>
>>375289
There were several planned coups on the Japanese government post war.

The two most notorious ones are the coups planned by the Japanese Red Army, a communist political group and Aum Shinrikyo, a radical doomsday cult with lots of engineers and scientists in it's elite ranks.
>>
>>375700
>run the country better
not better, in their own ways; just like the ones already in powers does
>>
If things get really out of hand politically I suppose.

Let's say Greece, due to ongoing crisis, went through 5 governments in a couple months and ended up with some beyond-the-pale far left or right. It's not unforeseeable that the military might step in.

Arguably whether Greece is a modern first would country though.
>>
>>375343
When was a military coup planned in the UK?!?!
>>
>>375719
>The two most notorious ones are the coups planned by the Japanese Red Army, a communist political group and Aum Shinrikyo, a radical doomsday cult with lots of engineers and scientists in it's elite ranks.

Neither of these were anywhere close to happening (extreme fringe movements), and had nothing to do with the Japanese military.
>>
>tfw moved overseas from Northern Ireland a few years ago
>Visited a while ago
>Unionism and general hardline pro-Britain culture has essentially been abandoned by everyone except the retards, very elderly and the chavs
>More and more people identifying as Irish
>The Bloody Sunday soldiers are going to be named
>People are liking the idea of a United Ireland more and more
>tfw the IRA might pull its shit together in the next few years
>tfw Northern Ireland could once again tell the english to fuck off in the next few years
>tfw my home is going to tear itself apart again
>>
>>375909
Paramilitary counts as military friendo
>>
>>375889
I didn't say that they would, only that they *think* they would.

Often they wind up running the place even worse because being a military commander for 10+ years doesn't transfer well to managing a civilian government and usually results in rampant corruption and nepotism.
>>
File: _65721256_spotllghtpoll-008.jpg (45 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
_65721256_spotllghtpoll-008.jpg
45 KB, 660x371
>>375911
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-21345997
>>
>>375916
When people say "military coup" it's clear they mean the lawful military of the country taking over government.
>>
>>375956
As a northerner I can tell you this isn't unionism being alive and well, this is people wanting to not have to pay for healthcare.
>>
>>375956
>>375974
Yeah, Unionism culture is dying. If being part of the south meant things were cheaper and life was even slightly better, people would be all over it.

People here are seeing that Hardline Unionism is the new root of NI's problems.
>>
>>375289
the british military would do one in case corbyn comes into power

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/british-army-could-stage-mutiny-under-corbyn-says-senior-serving-general-10509742.html
>>
>>375974
>>376044

Southern fag here: I've been hearing that the Republic voting for Gay Marriage really fucked with Unionists heads and killed the idea of "Irish Rule = Rome Rule".

That true?
>>
>>376044
>unionism culture is dying
>one of the largest union strikes in decades has been goin on for months in the US
Come on senpai
>>
>>376190
What the fuck are you going on about man? Go home, you have zero idea of what's being talked about there.
>>
>>376061

the generals would. whether people would follow them is highly suspect.

>>376190

he's talking about the united kingdom. the union of parliaments. fuck off fatburger.
>>
>>375903
If I recall the military leader made a threat a year or two ago if some fuckboy wouldn't stop fucking everything up the military would stop listening to him.
>>
>>375289
When the US collapses within 10 years, there will probably be a few coups there.
>>
>>376215
If Corbyn got power everything would turn to shit
>>
>>376324

you're hysterical. what would happen is that he would have to struggle against hysterical people, like you, within the state bureaucracy to get anything done, these people would be constantly shrieking 'Corbyn is going to shit everything up!'

the subsequent conflict between the unelected and elected elements of the state apparatus would send everything to shit, because a government that bickers indefinitely with itself can't formulate or implement policy - thus vindicating the hysterical quibblers, who can never see fault in their own mediocre, idiot frittering.

and i don't even like corbyn.
>>
>>376375
Commie
>>
>>376215
>retarded

Unionist culture in northern ireland is just catholic/republiucan bashing you flying fucking retard.

The 11th/12th of July celebrations, the massively conservative right wing political parties, the condemning of the IRA and the praising of the UVF.

Very few people on the Unionist side get at all political further than "I AM BRITISH AND EVERYONE IN NORTHERN IRELAND IS BRITISH AND IRISH PEOPLE A SHIT."

The culture surrounding pro-union is ocmposed almost entirely of using dominance to flatten out other cultures and identities. You're either with us or against us, is the sort of idea they have.

And that is dying. When I said "Unionist Culture is dying in Northern Ireland" I mean less and less people give a fuck whether they're part of Ireland or Britain and will swap in a heartbeat if one or the other makes their life better.

You can legally be British or Irish here, and more people are seeing the positives to identifying as Irish instead of licking the ass of Britain.
>>
(bump)
>>
>>375552
How do they even go about doing this without an army? I mean aside from just assassinations.
>>
>>375678
>fund some clueless assholes until they kill most of the proper government, then counter coup them

brilliant
>>
>>376974
Having done business in Northern Ireland, I can tell you have no idea how glad people are that the troubles are done.

Not to mention, most Northern Irish don't get along with the boys in the South either. Northern Ireland is set to be the tax haven of the UK. It will have lots of growth soon. It didn't go full retard like Ireland did. Also the PSNI oppresses everyone equally. They don't discriminate in who's neck they place the jack boot or armored landrover.

Economic prosperity brings stability. Even those that identify as "Irish" like the UK for its economic benifits. Northern Ireland is going nowhere. Scotland and Wales both have a better chance of being independent.
>>
>>375289
I recommend you check out Coup d'état by Luttwak http://www.mediafire.com/view/9ybba50db0y2nuj/Coup-d-Etat-Edward-Luttwak.pdf

Though an old book it contains solid information about the subject and should provide answers to your question.
>>
>>376974
As an American if I were you guys, I'd rather be called Irish than British. Britain a shit, and anyone who wants to identify more with a nation that's not their homeland rather than their actual homeland, is fucking c u c k faggot.
>>
>>377169
Amerifag here who made this post >>377133

Look senpai, the British are not that bad. Just go visit both places and see who has a better quality of life/nice things.

Ireland is leftist, Northern Ireland is conservative. Sinn Fein are marxists. Most the catholics in Northern Ireland are conservative by nature.

>only a c u c k would want more "diversity" and "enrichment"
>>
>>377169
>moi great great grandpappy used to bum choirboys and felt a bit peckish once, that means oim oirish so it does
>>
>>376449
Not him, but you just conceded the argument by resorting to ad homs.
>>
>>375296
>1958
>modern

more than 50 years ago gramps
>>
>>375289
We need one in the USA
>>
File: CheG1951 (1).jpg (473 KB, 692x948) Image search: [Google]
CheG1951 (1).jpg
473 KB, 692x948
>>376190
Nigger what
>>
>>375289

Military coups are most common in places where the military is the most technologically advanced organization in the entire country. This is very common in African nations. Not so much in "First World" nations.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1449603708172.jpg (55 KB, 552x769) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1449603708172.jpg
55 KB, 552x769
>>377204
>sin feinn are Marxists

I thought they seemed cool
>>
File: bab.gif (200 KB, 299x215) Image search: [Google]
bab.gif
200 KB, 299x215
>>377310
>Marxists
>good

Nationalist movements lead by marxists never end well. I feel bad for the catholics, the only party they have doesn't even support the existance of the church. 10/10 would commit cultural suicide with again.

>using pipe bombs
>not using Ryder trucks
>2015

Step up it senpai
>>
>>377133
>Not to mention, most Northern Irish don't get along with the boys in the South either.
Where do you get this shit from

>>377204
Ireland is leftist, Northern Ireland is conservative. Sinn Fein are marxists. Most the catholics in Northern Ireland are conservative by nature.

You have absolutely no clue.
>>
>>377465
Nigga I lived there for two years
>>
>>375289
In practically every "first world nation" you can vote the Government out at the next term. If enough people support your view, political parties with form with your view as their platform, and you can win.

It kinda negates the need for coups, which is why democracies tend to be significantly more stable than authoritarian regimes in the long-run.
>>
>>375911
>10% of Protestants favour a United Ireland
I was pretty surprised. Didn't think you cunts liked us all that much.

Also, there was a recent study published on a United Ireland. It effectively showed unification would be tough for the first 8-10 years for us in the South (since we'd have to subsidize a fuck ton of your services) but ultimately it would boost our per capita incomes by ~€3000 (you guys would rise by significantly more).
>>
>>375518
You mean CIA kept fucking shit up, If they had any commie tendencies, not that a one now wouldn't be bad
>>
>>377204
>Ireland is leftist, Northern Ireland is conservative
Nonsense, the Nordees are just as open to gay marriage as we are. It was political manoeuvring by the Unionist Parties that blocked gay marriage, not open hostility to the idea.
>SF are Marxists
SF aren't in power in the Republic and they never will be. Their policies are retarded and everyone who knows anything knows that to let them in is economic suicide. Shit, their own supporters don't even bother voting 90% of the time. >most Catholics in Norn Iron are Conservative by nature
Not any more than us down here are. There's not some magical fucking border where people suddenly flip from liberal to Conservative. Northern Irish (which is a cooler name than just "Irish" t b h) are practically as liberal as we are.

It comes down to money, and once people realize they're better off in the South, they'll swing towards Union. The very same way when people down here realize taxes will go up to pay for it, they'll vote against uniting with the North.

>>377480
And somehow you know more about the country than people who have lived there their entire lives?
>>
>>377258
Fine then
Soviet union, 1992.
>>
In the US the military coup would be easy. If the head of state was so corrupt that the military stept in the military would have no trouble taking power, that is if the populous doesn't revolt before then.
>>
>>378738
>soviet union
>first world
>>
>>378900
American quality of life is too high for popular uprising unless the government did something to curtail that.
>>
Define "modern".
Historically speaking, anything past the fall of Constantinople is considered modern.
>>
>>380160
In this context, we can assume 21st century, maybe latter half of the 20th century.
>>
>>375903
Wilson for one.
>>
Well, yes but the format of the coup is changed in the first world.

The idea of having tanks and troops in front of the parliament and arresting the President/PM is a scenario any general wants to avoid.

Nowadays its all about the political spin, if generals are not happy with a Head of state they will use propaganda tactics to undermine and ally with the PM biggest internal rival.

First there will be leaks from inside the PM office. Negative things from maybe 10 years back will be brought up and pushed by media. The rival ally in the party will then more and more challenge the PMs rule until the PM is unable to actually govern.

The coup d'état is commonly used in Australia to describe the events of Thursday morning on June 24, 2010, when the Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd was ousted and replaced by his deputy, Ms Julia Gillard. No force were used but there was a sudden abrupt power-change between two persons with different political stance without a democratic process.
>>
>>380446
Never mind Gough or Lang.
>>
>>380446
>tfw America will never have a Mobutu Sese Seko-tier crazy dictator as head of state
>tfw I will never enlist 13 year olds to fight against a corrupt army that's been fighting itself for decades
>tfw the American bush war will never be a thing
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.