[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What ethnicity were the Sumerians?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13
File: Ciudades-de-Mesopotamia.jpg (38 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
Ciudades-de-Mesopotamia.jpg
38 KB, 450x299
What ethnicity were the Sumerians?
>>
>>372510
Sumerian
>>
They were black
>>
I wonder this too. They weren't semites, they weren't Indo-European.
>>
Mesopotamien?
Is that even an ethnicity?
>>
Sub-Saharan African
>>
Sumerian. Possibly indigenes of the Mesopotamia region judging by how diverse it was before the Afroasiatic languages - I mean New Guinea tier. Or maybe they weren't, we don't know.

Parts of their language, isolate, relating to agriculture, show evidence of a substrate (Proto-Euphratean), yet another isolate. This means thst they originally weren't farmers, but foragers.

Another thing which may be considered is that they called themselves "Black-headed people". What this means is enigmatic.

So we have enigmatic non-agricultural tribes calling themselves "Black-headed people". Now, what I'm going to say is pulled out of my ass and I'm probably wrong, but is a scenario where the ancestors of Sumerians were hunter-gatherer negritos (negritos are aboriginal dindus scattered throughout South Asia) who went extinct before leaving their trace in history, whose language was for some reason adopted by neighbouring, non-negrito cultures, these cultures being the founders of Sumerian culture, possible?
>>
An ethnicity is a group of people who share the same language & race. So they were Sumerian.
>>
>>372510
WE
>>
Semitic
>>
>>372510
Ariyans.
Like all high cultures.
Turks and arabs really did a number on the middle east.
>>
>>372510
Some variation of middle eastern neolithic farmer.
>>
>>372654
Considering how backwards negritos are even today, it's unlikely.

A more likely hypothesis would be a dravidian connection.
>>
>>372654
I think black head means black haired simply.
>>
>>372654
I bet if it was "White-headed people" it wouldn't be enigmatic..
>>
>>375191
Are you implying that we wuz kangz n sheeit?
>>
>>372510
>currently straddling Syria, Iraq, Turkey, Iran

They probably looked Arab-ish. You can't really go more specific than that without giving the meaningless answer of "Sumerian".
>>
WE
>>
>>375200
No I think the poster himself was very slyly implying they weren't possibly dark skinned, the term speaks for itself. What makes the concept of a black head so enigmatic..
>>
>>375216
Arabs are just semites that bred with niggers.
Arabs are a shit-tier race that never ammounted to anything.
If anything the ancient sumerians were aryian like the persions before turk and arab hordes shat up their gene-pool.
>>
>>375216
Arab is a panethnicity, meaning there is no definitive "race" of Arabs, they're a mixed peoples who are united by the language of Arabic.

>They probably looked Arab-ish.
Just doesn't make sense.
>>
>>375236

We know from their art that they were similar to modern people living there. Calling themselves black-headed people because of hair would be weird considering that it wasn't that rare to serve as a differentiating characteristic. So I suggested that people we know as Sumerians originally spoke some different language and then they got their jew language from some remnant hunter-gatherer negritos (which would explain forager vocabulary and "Black headed people"), but yeah, an Indian connection seems more likely, they can get really dark sometimes, picrel.

Sorry for being retarded.

Also was black colour a symbol of something in Mesopotamian culture?
>>
>>375611
>jew language
>from hunter-gatherer negritos
>>
>>372510
I bet you a bag of shekels that the people who live there now are basically the same as the Sumerians of antiquity.
>>
>>375155
Typologically, Sumerian is classified as an agglutinative split ergative language. Neither of those are Indo-European traits, so definite no to Indo-European. It was a language isolate most likely.
>>
>>375611
If anything Summerians were more likely connected to arabian peninsula, as summerian legends suggest they originate from modern day Bahrain.
And black-headed could mean dozen of other things.
>>
>>372654
If they were negritos, they would have called themselves black skin, the black ones or something like that. Black-headed probably just means they had black hair.
>>
>>375611
>Calling themselves black-headed people because of hair would be weird considering that it wasn't that rare to serve as a differentiating characteristic.

What if they were black haired as opposed to other peoples with brown and dark brown hair? Considering there were probably not a lot of blondes and redheads there, even different shades of dark hair would make the difference according to their perspective.
>>
>>375949
Are you speaking from the perspective of someone that knows anything about the contemporary culture or are you attempting to apply modern western values to a culture older than the written word?
>>
>>375959
Many statues depict them as bald, so their scalp might have been darker as result of not having hair.
There might have been ritual where they painted their heads.
It could be thousand other reasons
>>
File: malakian.jpg (37 KB, 300x397) Image search: [Google]
malakian.jpg
37 KB, 300x397
>>372654
>>375217

They really look like that dude from SOAD. Now seriously, the facial characteristics depicted are middle eastener as fuck, even if a little cartooney.
>>
>>375975
Do we have any proof or hint that head means person or physical body in the sumerian ethos?

>>375976
Yes of course also that.
>>
>>375975
Mere suggestion about summerians being negritos is stupid as fuck.
There is no slightest piece of evidence except name that could mean million other things.
>>
File: legolas anime eyes.jpg (45 KB, 456x720) Image search: [Google]
legolas anime eyes.jpg
45 KB, 456x720
>>375217
What if they were ancient Otaku?
>>
Random question, why was their most powerful god, Enlil, a storm kind of dude? It makes sense for a hot climate like Egypt to have a sun god as their most poweful, did Meso had storms?
>>
>>376041
Dont think you can look for much logic in religion.
Some old shaman saw great thunder storm, made up story about sky god farting, and 1000 years later you have Enlil
>>
>>376041
Mesopotamian mythology is really tied to water if I recall correctly. Tiamat and Anzu as the primordial sea defeated by earth/sky gods
>>
>>375243
Terrible input. Get the fuck off this board back to /pol/.
>>
>>372654

Blackheaded could easily just refer to their luscious and elaborate hairstyles and beards, which clearly they prided themselves on, though.
>>
>>376041

The Middle East in general was less dry and wetter back then. It was a lot like the African savanna.
>>
They were black like the Egyptians. This was before Yakub made the albino mutants.
>>
>>376041
>>376141

I was taught that the reason the area is so arid now is because those early farmers didnt know how to maintain the land and basically bled it dry
>>
>>375217
Mother of God, they are so fucking ugly.

>>375216
You realize they could be Jew white or North African black? And considering they were weren't Indo-European, they probably weren't Balochian brown.

>>372519
/thread
>>
File: am i kawaii uguu.jpg (122 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
am i kawaii uguu.jpg
122 KB, 500x708
>>375217
WUZ ANIME AND SHEEIT
>>
>>376041
Fertile Crescent was the Fertile Crescent for a reason amte

Enlil may have been the chief, but Enki was their favorite god, and Enki was associated with water. The Tigris River was created when Enki got really horny and jerked off so furiously his spunk made the earth itself feritle.
>>
File: Inanna1.jpg (243 KB, 1275x1650) Image search: [Google]
Inanna1.jpg
243 KB, 1275x1650
>>376399
>Mother of God, they are so fucking ugly.

Implying you wouldn't worship that sacred prostitute
>>
File: sumerians.jpg (442 KB, 1188x990) Image search: [Google]
sumerians.jpg
442 KB, 1188x990
>>
>>376041
Wasn't Zeus/Jupiter also a storm god and chief deity?
>>
>>376417
Underrated
>>
>>376284
>black like the egyptians
WUZ
>>
File: Haplogroup_G2a.gif (55 KB, 760x550) Image search: [Google]
Haplogroup_G2a.gif
55 KB, 760x550
MY THEORY

they were Y DNA haplogroup G

>native to Anatolia and Caurcasus
>they built Göbekli Tepe
>they buried the megalith site when they started with agriculture in Mesopotamia

>brown skin, but european features (cro-magnon descent)
>not arabs
>not semites
>not dindus
>not crackers

they are basically extinct today, replaced by Sargon of Akkadia, then later by Arabs
>>
They were Iraqis

Marsh "arabs" are their descendants
>>
File: 1448957086667s.jpg (3 KB, 85x125) Image search: [Google]
1448957086667s.jpg
3 KB, 85x125
>>372524
>>372548
>>372654
>>375120
>>375175
>>375200
>>375217
>>375236
>>376284
>>376417
>>376776
>>
>>376778
Why G? and not J? or R1b?
>>
>>376778
The ancient aryians also built hattusa.
>>
>>376041
Not only storm but wind and sky in general. God (or chief god) = sky seems to be almost universal for humanity.

I think it's pretty natural as sky is both a source of harm and good, but it's more remote than other competitors like earth and even maybe water. It's also always above you and apparently infinite.
>>
>>376399
>North African
>black
>>
>>376798
just a hunch
no expertise, just wikipedia and eupedia

J: I admit I haven't studied them much, I'll look more into if I decided to brows Eupedia again
R1b: Aryans, who were nomadic pastorals who expanded after the black sea turned to salt water, Sumer seems to be more permanent and native to the area
>>
>>376973
>eupedia
into le trash

>R1b: Aryans, who were nomadic pastorals who expanded after the black sea turned to salt water
Not really, you're thinking of R1a.
The Middle Eastern subclades of R1b are pretty ancient and predate the Aryan invasion. And IIRC they are pretty widespread in Eastern Asia Minor, Mesopotamia and Transcaucasia (for example, R1b has a "plurality" in Armenia).
>>
File: Tell_Barri - Syria.jpg (220 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Tell_Barri - Syria.jpg
220 KB, 1280x853
Are tells truly just due to the remains of ancient bricks piling up over time or were the original cities simply built on hills?
>>
Chinese.
>>
So basically they were sub-Saharan Africans who migrated to Africa from Aryan-India or China, like the earliest humans did, and then migrated back and settled in the marshes of Iraq?
>>
>>377429
>still believing the out of africa theory
Didnt happen that way nigga
>>
>>377564
[citation needed]
>>
>>376482
>Sargon
>Sumerian
I don't think so
>>
File: 1364678648159.jpg (17 KB, 467x332) Image search: [Google]
1364678648159.jpg
17 KB, 467x332
>>372510
>everybody claiming that they were africans or aryans or some shit
>language and farming totally isolated from later civilizations

They were Sumerians. They came from around the area.

Stop trying to claim that your politically biased horrible shit modern beliefs have anything to do with a possibly extinct ethnic group you cunts.
>>
They were Sumerian. Ethnicities don't last for thousands of years unchanged, so it's asinine trying to peg them with a contemporary ethonym. The best you're going to get is genetic and linguistic conjecture from anthropologists.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.