[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a good /his/ book? I'm going on a trip and I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 51%2BTf7-2OeL.jpg (48 KB, 324x500) Image search: [Google]
51%2BTf7-2OeL.jpg
48 KB, 324x500
Is this a good /his/ book? I'm going on a trip and I want something /his/ related to read.

Also, anyone have any other interesting /his/ related books to suggest?
>>
File: 1153149.jpg (29 KB, 344x500) Image search: [Google]
1153149.jpg
29 KB, 344x500
>>370456
>>
>>370506
Literally my bible
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 170x258) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 170x258
>>370456
This is one of my favorites
>>
>>370517
I wonder as I'm reading it how much of it is outdated.
>>
>>370531
>1920

probably huge swaths of it
>>
File: God-tierbook.jpg (48 KB, 331x499) Image search: [Google]
God-tierbook.jpg
48 KB, 331x499
Just got finished reading it.
>>
Tom Holland is a good writer but his work is pure opinion.
>>
>>370456
Yes it's good, specially for a trip as you probably aren't looking for something too hard going. It's basically the Histories of Herodotus written for 21th century readers.

I would recommend reading Herodotus himself too if you haven't.
>>
>>370531
The part on ancient history is a bit outdated. Most of it is solid.

>>370534
The last edition was made in the 1950s
>>
>>370558
That's still very old
>>
>>370574
>CURRENT YEAR
>>
>>370584
Senpai even ten years can be too old depending on the subject. Something new is gonna be discovered at least every month. 65 years are a lot of time.
>>
>>370600
Sure but the overall narrative doesn't change much.

HG Wells himself says in the intro that he's not a historian and that he will make no efforts in being very precise. It's an outline.

If you seek accuracy, you should only read scholarly articles.
>>
>>370584
>So Mr. Brown, to cure your cancer I shall use this leech therapy from the 1540s.
>Isn't that a bit dated? Surely there's some more modern methods, I mean it's 2015
>HURR IT'S 2015 CMON, GET OUT MY PRACTICE YOU C.UCK
>>
>>370616
Comparing literature to medicine is so fucking retarded, you must have the cognitive capabilities of an abo with down syndrome.

Could you please tell me what significant changes in the narrative of the french revolution occurred between the years 2000 and 2010? Like list them out.
>>
>>370456
It's actually pretty good, though you're better off just reading Herodotus desu.

Adrian Goldsworthy's Death of the Roman Superpower is a pretty good read for casuals.
>>
>>370546
Rubicon was bretty gud
>>
>>370558
>>370574
I'm reading the original 1919 edition.

Also my copy has the worst formatting I've ever seen in a book, no exaggeration.
>>
Holland is barely a historian in his work; read it as fiction. He's wayyy too revisionist and out there to be taken seriously, in his published work.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.