[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could the Mongols have made it to the Atlantic had the Khan not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: mongol_archer.jpg (99 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
mongol_archer.jpg
99 KB, 480x320
Could the Mongols have made it to the Atlantic had the Khan not died?

They had beaten the fuck out of every European force until the time of the khans death and then chose to stop invading
>>
>>369978
Central and Western Europe doesn't bode well for horse archer armies.
>>
If they moved quickly enough yes. As soon as they moved their army West though, the Mongol Empire would have been on borrowed time due to rebellion back in the East.
>>
>>369978
They showed promise and the ability to beat any army they faced. I'm not sure if they had enough men to hold an empire of that size. I suspect they would have been waylaid by the Germanic tribes in the northern forests.
>>
>>369978
Technically, they had the manpower, wealth and expertise to do it.
But honestly, the effort would far outweigh the benefits.
>>
>>369978
Their forays into Eastern Europe (notably Hungary and Poland) met with mixed success.

Much as the Mongols had ground to a halt against the Mamluks, I suspect they would have done similarly against Europe. They were a very long way from home, the terrain wasn't all together familiar or favourable, and Europe was dense with states well prepared for conflict.
>>
>>369978
AFAIK they only had problems with invading islands (Japan) and jungles (Vietnam). The only time when they were beaten was by the Mamluks of Egypt, but that was in the late period of Timur, who was maybe grandchild of Genghis, so not in their prime.
>>
>>369978
The Mongols could never have conquered Europe. The terrain just would not allow it both militarily and logistically.
>>
>>370409

lol how is the terrain of interior china different than europe?
>>
>>370415
I don't know much about the terrain of China but do you mean that China and Europe having the same terrain would mean the same results for the Mongols?

It's pretty widely acknowledged that the pastures of Europe could not sustain a giant horse army like the Mongols had, like they coulld on the steppes of Asia. Cavalry would not have been as successful in Central Europe as well.
>>
>>369978
In a giant horse raid?

Sure, they had the numbers and the speed necessary.

However persistent occupation is another thing and for lack of large steppe areas beyond the Carpathian Basin they would have to come up with different tactics and do what the Huns did. Eventually though the Mongols would probably become European like literally all steppe nomads in Europe before them.
>>
>>370380
>Timur
Timur wasn't even born yet during the Battle of Ain Jalut you idiot
>>
I think they could. Assuming they had a coordinated invasion with the majority of their army and their best Generals.
>>
>>370502

>you idiot

Why is this necessary at all? Shaking my head.
>>
>>370109
>Technically, they had the manpower, wealth and expertise to do it.
>But honestly, the effort would far outweigh the benefits.
Exactly.

>>370200
>the terrain wasn't all together familiar or favourable, and Europe was dense with states well prepared for conflict.
China was actually not different in those terms, much richer and with much larger armies. The Mongols still conquered them.
>>
Europe was quite heavily forested at the time. If the Europeans had the sense to not fight out on open plains, the Mongols would have lost their advantage.

Also I wonder if they wouldn't have trouble finding appropriate forage for their horses.
>>
>>370707
Indeed, East Asia is a fuck never-ending series of low mountains, with hardly any flat open ground anywhere. It's a wonder the Mongols managed to conquer China and especially Korea; the geography seems totally against them.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.