[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Renaissance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: vitruvian750.jpg (249 KB, 750x1027) Image search: [Google]
vitruvian750.jpg
249 KB, 750x1027
Hi guys, I'm making a report about the renaissance, and I have to find ideas and ideals of the renaissance, I don't know why, but I find it difficult.
Could any of you help me?

My focus at this point is how individuals became independent, and what the "Renaissance Human" is, as I feel that these 2 subjects can fill up to 4 pages.
>>
>>369815
Read Foucault.
>>
>>369815
Just art and culture became hugely popular, leading to patronage. See things like Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Donatello, Raphael, etc
Patronage provided for artists, musicians, playwrights, authors, etc, but often they would tend towards a bias for their patrons... to keep the money flowing.
>>
Write about how the Renaissance was ridiculously overrated thanks to the enormous influence of its own thinkers, and that while it came with a lot of revolutionary art techniques, Renaissance Humanism was intellectually disastrous and plunged the West into 300 years of intellectual dark ages.
>>
>>369852
>this revisionism

Renaissance humanism is the what helped END the darkness. You cannot seriously call a time period where we got the printing press invented and made the first encyclopedia anything less than amazing. The printing press ALONE was more important than all other innovations since the Fall of Rome combined.

Humanism moved us away from the religious perspective being how reality was interpreted (which led to a ton of superstitions about how celestial reasons were the cause for all sorts of things) to a human perspective which viewed man as capable of understanding the world and controlling his own fate.
>>
>>369863
probably some christfag butt hurt about the fact many renaissance/enlightenment writers mocked his religion at best or openly hated it at worst.
>>
>>369847
>>369863
>>369882

Thanks, but I need some sources I can refer to and where I can read more.

I'm interested in the christianity part too, as I feel that it also has a very big influence on the individual becoming independent. (ex Elizabethan Time)
>>
>>369882
Funny enough the Renaissance Encyclopedias had this to say about the Eucharist "see Cannibalism"

It was the writers way of getting back at the Catholic church after they tried to shut down their attempts to spread knowledge that was unregulated by the church.

Hundreds of years later Christ-fags are still butt-hurt.
>>
>>369863
>unironically posting dark ages and conflict thesis memes on /his/

>The printing press
The printing press was invented in 1440 in Strasbourg. That's not the Renaissance by any stretch.

It certainly was of capital importance though, mostly because it meant medieval books were printed in many copies, and were thus beyond the destructive powers of the Humanists despite their best efforts to eradicate every progress since the ancient Romans. Thanks to that the discoveries of late medieval thinkers like Buridan and Oresme survived the Renaissance and were eventually rediscovered by the likes of Galileo (who still had to fight Renaissance Humanism just to defend things that had been easily accepted three centuries earlier).

>encyclopedia
Literally nothing to do with Renaissance. Encyclopedias had existed since ancient times and throughout the Middle Ages. The first encyclopedia made for the general public was only written in the 18th century.

>(which led to a ton of superstitions about how celestial reasons were the cause for all sorts of things) to a human perspective which viewed man as capable of understanding the world and controlling his own fate
It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about, why do you just parrot third rate pop culture?

Reason and the need to understand the world was the very foundation of the scholastic method. The dominant idea was that God gave us reason so that we could use it to understand his creation.
>>
>>369863
>>369900
That feel when I used to have this simplistic bullshit world view as well.
>>
So ain't nobody gon' give me anything to refer to?
>>
>>369941
Go read Foucault.
>>
>>369941
This isn't a board to help you with homework.
>>
>>369962
I am not searching for help, I just want a book or two to read in. I have the book "When the human became centrum" and some critics book with 25 fucking authors about the renaissance that seems to be too subjective.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.