[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will passionate ideology make a comeback? And when will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1438158659687.png (34 KB, 852x674) Image search: [Google]
1438158659687.png
34 KB, 852x674
When will passionate ideology make a comeback? And when will we cast off the illusion of being above and beyond it?
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 400x605) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 400x605
>>366690
>>
>>366690

Turn on your TV.

You live in the world you want.
>>
>>366699
off*
>>
>>366694
I feel kinda bad because English isn't his first language but damn he talks funny
>>
It already did in the form of Liberalism, the theory that Man is God.
>>
>>367993

If you turn it off, you'll find a world where people have rational and emotional reasons to do things.

Leave on the TV to stay in the world of passionate ideology; maybe ones that OP doesn't feel passionate about.
>>
liberalism is the natural conclusion of what youre asking for
>>
>>366690
Try to reason or to discuss with a 2015 hard liberal
>protip, you cant
>>
>>368027
>>368137
>>368191
>American conceptions of liberalism
>>
Well this is the post-modern as described by Lyotard (the guy who invented the word). Nietzsche's last man prophecy came true. Not only is God dead but other narratives about the ultimate meaning of life are collapsing too. All the old ideas have lost their basis but you need to be aware of the state of philosophy to realize this. There's a giant power gap in the world right, whatever new idea can justify itself and fill in the gap is going to inherit the earth.
>>
>PENISH IN VAGINA
>>
>>368282
Actually, try arguing from outside the framework of traditional liberalism. Even on /pol/ if you point out that any notion of a 'German State' or 'German Nation' that owes any political or moral obligation is drawn from Rosseau's general will, and predicated on the notion of the total and obligitarilly political nature of a human being existing, and that this would be repugnant to most people in human history, you are called, ironically, a liberal.

If you step entirely outside the western ideological framework, you are met with total incomprehension.
>>
>>369282
where can i read more about that ?
I always had that feelin that our times is ideologically empty, so this is post-modernism ?
Do you have any book to suggest on this subject ?
>>
>>369538
Well I can't give you something to specific since it's what I'm looking into myself. You have to start with Nietzsche though, specifically Twilight of the Idols. The very short chapter "how the real world at last became a myth" is espcially relevant. Than you'd want to read about his theory of the Last Man and the Death of God and read his theory on nihilism in Will to Power.

If you understand those concepts you can than look into more modern philosophers that discuss the decay of meaning, since all of them are going to basing their ideas on Nietzsche. You'll be in the dark without Nietzsche though

Post-modernism itself doesn't specifically deal with the subject, it's just a blanket term for a whole lot of things.

Of the most post-modernists who deal with the subject of the death of meaning. Lyotard's book the Post-modern condition is a good place to start. Baudrillard is going to be the most important figure. While Nietzsche talks about how the past has lost it's meaning and worries about the future, Baudrillard talks about how the present has lost it's meaning and it's gotten to the point where people don't even care what's "real" anymore. Related to that Nietzsche actually tried to provide a philosophy that give us a way to have meaning again while Baudrillard only comments on the events and mops about how it's hopeless.
>>
>>369576
thanks mate, seems like im gonna go for Nietzsche at some point
>>
File: Islamic-State-Horseback.jpg (128 KB, 640x357) Image search: [Google]
Islamic-State-Horseback.jpg
128 KB, 640x357
>>366690
This is one of the reasons I think Islamic extremism is dangerous. With the rise of science/reason and the recession of faith, it seems people in the developed world have become cynical and materialistic. Most people just don't seem to be passionate and driven by any particular ideology, whether religious, political, or social. Right now, fundamentalist Islam seems to be the one ideology that's growing and motivating large numbers of people to act together.

[spoiler]I'm a philosophy pleb, so my apologies if the phrase "passionate ideology" is meant to refer to a specific school of thought and not just any ideology that people get passionate about.[/spoiler]
>>
>>369295
>If you step entirely outside the western ideological framework, you are met with total incomprehension.
I think the closest we've come to stepping outside of Enlightenment ideology was the Romantic movement, and they're generally considered btfo.

It's rather shocking how every Western idea is firmly cemented in Enlightenment ideals.
>>
>>372732
don't qualify your posts, almost no one isn't faking it to some degree
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.