[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he the greatest general of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: Napoleon.jpg (227 KB, 864x1400) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon.jpg
227 KB, 864x1400
Was he the greatest general of all time?
>>
>>366618
The greatest general? It's debatable, but he was definitely up with the greatest.

The greatest politician? Absolutely.
>>
>>366630
>Greatest politician ever
>not le unifier man
>>
>>366647
One of them ended feudalism, killed the HRE, and created a code which set the basis of most Western law to the modern day.
>>
File: check em 2.jpg (9 KB, 320x272) Image search: [Google]
check em 2.jpg
9 KB, 320x272
>>366666
Yeah and the other one didn't die poisoned on a shitty island in the middle of the fucking Atlantic.
Btw nice digits you got there
>>
File: z58.png (1009 KB, 760x920) Image search: [Google]
z58.png
1009 KB, 760x920
>>366670
Maybe not, but he suffered a more terrible fate and died a German
>>
File: survorov.jpg (198 KB, 1122x1459) Image search: [Google]
survorov.jpg
198 KB, 1122x1459
>>366618
No
>>
>>366683
This dude literally got lucky to never fight a relevant battle
He'd have been raped by Napoleon
>>
>>366666
Satanic quints confirms. Checked.
>>
>>366618
I don't know, but that's honestly the best portrait of all time
>>
File: czech.jpg (67 KB, 365x357) Image search: [Google]
czech.jpg
67 KB, 365x357
>>366756
Check'em
>>
File: Subudei.jpg (23 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
Subudei.jpg
23 KB, 220x330
>greatest general
Prove me wrong
>>
>>366618
No. I'd put him up there pretty high, but he's not even really top 10. To get that high, you have to really innovate in addition to being a good general, i.e. Gustavus Adolphus.
>>
>>366844
>Napoleon wasn't innovative
>>
>>366911
In warfare? Not really. He was a good general, but he didn't invent anything as revolutionary as combined arms warfare. If I'm wrong, then provide an example of his innovation.
>>
>>366955
Napoleon heavily expanded on combined arms to execute it on a high strategic level, most notably with his use of massed and concentrated artillery bombardment in direct support of infantry, which couldn't really be matched by Gustavus Adolphus either.

He also shifted the organizational revelation to warfare, the Corps d'Armee system. The system dictated that the Grande Armee would be split into seven corps, each with a certain number of infantry, cavalry, and artillery, moving relatively independently of each other when on campaign, though close enough to support in case of engagement. This not only allowed armies to move extremely quickly but broke the traditional idea of warfare being between singular armies fighting in set and consistent engagements.

There were also some new recruitment systems but those were mostly the works of Revolutionary generals other than him.
>>
File: Juliuscaesar.jpg (87 KB, 390x513) Image search: [Google]
Juliuscaesar.jpg
87 KB, 390x513
>>366618

If you asked Napoleon my guess is he'd say Caesar.
>>
>>367040
Nah, he'd probably say Alexander
>>
>>367101
This. Napoleon was obseded by Alexander. He always wanted to follow his foot prints. Especially when he was still a young general. That's why he pushed his army so far in middle east. He reached actual Syria if my memorie is good.
In his dream he opened a way until India for France.
>>
>>367040
>>367381
I thought Napoleon's idol was Frederick the Great,
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.