[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ALT HISTORY: Rhodesia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: Rhodesian_flag.0.png (104 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
Rhodesian_flag.0.png
104 KB, 1024x512
Is their anyway, that Rhodesia could still be a country post 1979? Would a higher White Population insure this? I know that Southern Rhodesia Only let in certain number of people in a year, so would increased white Immigration make Rhodesia White Population be around 10-16% like Apartheid South Africa?
>>
>>365676
It could be Zimbabwe-Rhodesia if the Internal Settlement was recognised by the cUK
>>
If those communist bastards in Lisbon wouldn't kick Caetano out of office it'd be no problem. ZANU and ZAPU were hilariously incompetent - the status quo of the war in the mid-70s could easily be handled by the RSF, provided they had that link to the outside world through Mozambique.

Hell, imagine them making it until Reagan and Thatcher made it.
>>
>>365795
I agree with this
>>
File: rhodesia i miss you.jpg (210 KB, 744x706) Image search: [Google]
rhodesia i miss you.jpg
210 KB, 744x706
>>365795

It was a lot of internal support for reform that did this, as well.

To vote in Rhodesia, for example, you had to have a college education. Since colleges were mostly pursued by whites who could travel to South Africa or attend Salisbury U. they got to vote and have a say, whereas blacks preferred, generally, not to go to school.

Many foreign influences called them segregationists and Apartheid because of this system. Liberal Rhodesians took this to heart and complained about the inequality faced in one of the most equal societies, not just in Africa, but in the world.

It was the classic saying, I'd prefer an enemy over a traitor, because at least you know where the enemy stands. ZANU and ZAPU were getting constantly fucked, not only by the Rhodesian armed forces, but by organized militias in Mozambique called RENAMO who didn't support Afrocentrist-communism and preferred conservative democracies, such as Rhodesia.

If Rhodesians didn't give up and let the screaming minority get their way and held out, I'm sure Reagan and Thatcher wouldn't helped the poor blokes.
>>
>>365916
Could you rephrase that last sentence? I think you mean that if the non-liberals got their way Reagan and Thatcher wouldn't help, but I'm not quite sure.
>>
>>365916
>blacks preferred, generally, not to go to school
Yes, I'm sure that was it.
>>
>>365931

If the Rhodesians hadn't of lost hope and surrendered, edged on by liberals in government, and waited until Reagan and Thatcher got power, then they wouldn't have had to worry. However, if they remained strong but were continuing to liberalize, then they wouldn't be as okay from these leaders.

>>365942

Tribal life did not prize education, and most Africans in Rhodesia who didn't live in the large cities, who generally did get educations amongst the smarter, preferred to work for money and immediate rewards in villages and their towns.

Socioeconomically, college education did not appeal to Africans. They could forfeit their right to vote very easily as long as they were living safely and happily, and many of them did.

Also, University was expensive and took up a lot of time, time that could be used taking care of their parents and working, raising children, finding new opportunities in other areas of the country, and practicing with their other community members. They didn't want to have to travel to Salisbury or South Africa to get an education, so they generally didn't.
>>
>>365961
Also 10x the money was spent on educating a white kid
But
You know
They preferred it
>>
>>365961
>Tribal life did not prize education, and most Africans in Rhodesia who didn't live in the large cities, who generally did get educations amongst the smarter, preferred to work for money and immediate rewards in villages and their towns.

This is a myth 99% of education spending was spent on whites (who enjoyed education as a free right) whilst blacks not only had to pay but also only received education funding indirectly through religious missionary schools.
>>
>>365676
>Would a higher White Population insure this?

White Immigration to Rhodesia was pretty low. Like why go to Rhodesia when there'sKEnya and South Africa?

>>367193
and we all know how poor those missionary schools are.
This is on top of the Rhodesian government shutting down a trade school just because White trade union leaders bitched about black labour undercutting them.
>>
File: 1447019998974.jpg (79 KB, 444x449) Image search: [Google]
1447019998974.jpg
79 KB, 444x449
>>366161
>>367193

Source? Never heard of these stats before.
>>
>>365916
>college education to vote
Why is this not a thing in the west goddammit, fuck universal suffrage
>>
>>370865
>a world where only STEMlords and liberal arts students can vote
sounds horrifying desu
>>
>>370865
Because it's would be super easy for the franchised to completely dominate everything think about it.
>>
>>365676

>is their anyway
>insure
>random capitalization of non-proper nouns

I guess this shows the intelligence of the average Rhodesia poster.
>>
>>370865
>college requires money in many western countries
>only those with degrees can vote
>basically rolling back suffrage to the moneyed

nice
>>
>>370865
I wouldn't feel bad if you were guillotined.
>>
File: 1448382921339.png (515 KB, 540x607) Image search: [Google]
1448382921339.png
515 KB, 540x607
>>370865
>farmers, shop owners, actual working people can't vote
>people who can't afford the ridiculous modern tuition costs can't vote
>older folk who grew up in times when college wasn't the norm can't vote
>some faggot who took women's studies or art theory can
>some rich faggot who is inheriting all their money from their parents can
>some young inexperienced faggot straight out of college can
Fuck that.
>>
>>371389
Totally this. If I, some random college educated slacker can vote but a wisened cowboy poet, an honest tradesman or a soldier can't, there's something wrong with the society.
>>
File: 1382820416325.jpg (92 KB, 464x787) Image search: [Google]
1382820416325.jpg
92 KB, 464x787
>>365676
>British comes to agreement between Rhodeisa and South Africa in understanding ending minority rule ends both states
>require comprehensive educational and social welfare reform for South Africa
>Angola stays supporting Rhodesia
>>365942
>>366161
>>367193
80% of African Rhodesians were Rural, and a very large portion of those were Tribal. Tribes did not want education and nor did a considerable amount of the rural population would benefit from anything past primary school really.

Also your 10x spent on education for whites doesn't come from a governmental record but a personal anecdote.
>>371142
You're using the word Franchise wrong.
>>369861
Don't listen to faggot naysayers.
>>371338
>personal attacks instead of answering questions
Shows you the intelligence of your average nigger.
>>371345
>>371389
>people shouln't reap the rewards of inheritance
Sounds like jelousy faggot.
>the vast swaths of uneducated filth are allowed on vote and ruin the country however they please
How about nobody votes and we are led by God? (^:
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.