[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linear A decipherment thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
OK, lads. Nobody get up until we've all solved this.
>>
How do you want to know that it's Linear A?
>>
Linear A produces gibberish when assumed to be the same as Linear B. This is why people think it's Minoan (Or at least Wikipedia says so).

But has anyone checked to see if that gibberish is consistent with Indo-European in some form or another?
>>
>>365009
It's not gibberish, it's just a non-IE language (they survived well into the Iron Age, see Eteocretan). No fucking shit we can't understand it.
>>
It says "ayyyyy lmao, those c.ucks will never decypher this"
>>
>>365257
I thought it was just the old greek alphabet and linear B was for documentation.
>>
there appear more characters on the side and back?
>>
>>365667
We're talking about Linear A, not B. B was used by Greeks and was a variant of Linear A used to record Greek language. A, on the other hand, was used by pre-Greek people of Crete (Minoans) and records as for now incomprehensible Minoan language (maybe there is some hope to decipher it in the future: it's somewhat similar to Etruscan language and they may be related: we have found Aegean products in Italy; while a family stretching throughout half of the Mediterranean is unlikely, it's quite possible that one of the parties involved in trade accepted the language of the other; besides, there exists a pre-IE substrate in Greek)
>>
I'm interested.
What is this thread and what are we doing?
>>
>>364953
>Dear Sir,
>Do you think the youth of (this hour/today) are rebelling more?
>Bring back (service?) to (the Sun land/land of bright sun)
>Yrs
>Disgusted of Uruk
>>
>>365807
were pretending to be linguists and bullshitting about deciphering a text that has utterly baffled every and any attempt to translate it.
>>
>I'm not saying the professor is old

>but his Linear B accent still shows
>>
>>365832

Someone is going to look at it and see something some day.
>>
>>365832
Do we know it's language family?
>>
>>365798
I know we're talking about Linear A, what I was saying was that I thought linear B and A were used in tandem for different purposes but represented the same language.
>>
Anyone here study languages that are deliberately made up?
>>
File: 1084px-AlexGraffito.svg.png (291 KB, 1084x1443) Image search: [Google]
1084px-AlexGraffito.svg.png
291 KB, 1084x1443
This is a job for modern archaeology. Linear A will be deciphered the day its own Rosetta Stone is found.
>>
>>365257
There's also the small fact that 80% of its logograms are unique, according to wikipedia. What we have some syllables - it'd be like trying to read a Chinese newspaper when all you know are Japanese kana, and no knowledge of the Chinese language.
>>
It's kind of fucking stupid that we have all the programming and computer science and statistical data available at our hands and some programming tech monkey kuk doesn't write an easy program to decipher some dead minoan language with hundreds of unreadable tablets
>>
>>366212
From wikipedia:
>Linear A has been unearthed chiefly on Crete, but also at other sites in Greece, as well as Turkey and Israel. The extant corpus, comprising some 1427 specimens totalling 7362–7396 signs, if scaled to standard type, would fit on a single sheet of paper.
>a single sheet of paper
Not as much as you'd think. Doesn't help that it's in a language that appears to be an isolate. Also, the nature of much ancient inscriptions/lists is little more than names of kings/merchandise, so not a lot of "meat" as regards grammar and the kinds of things useful for decipherment.
>>
>>365827
>disgusted of Uruk

that kekels my shekels
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.