[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can 16th century European hand to hand combat stand a chance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 486x321) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 486x321
Can 16th century European hand to hand combat stand a chance against Chinese/Japanese/Mongolian ones of the same century?
>>
>>364130
>16th century
Everyone had daggers
>>
>>364143
>18th century
Everyone had guns
>>
>>364130
Mongolians don't have martial arts you dumb kuck

As for Chinese/Japanese, depending on context.
With no rules, I can imagine Qin Na and Akido being quite a force to go up against.
>>
>>364146
>21st century
Everyone has a fragile ego
>>
>>364154
>Mongolians don't have martial arts you dumb kuck

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_wrestling

See me after class
>>
>>364171
>WRASTLING

>a real martial art
>>
>>364181
I'm pretty sure guys who had the biggest empire in history know a thing or two about what is useful and what isn't
>>
>>364154
Every culture has at least one kind of martial art.How would they survive without a weapon otherwise?
>>
>>364181
>thinks "pro-wrestling" is the only wrestling there is

Not sure if shitposting or murican
>>
Fucking weebs I swear
>>
>>364181
I would say wrestling is one of the more effective martial arts, show wrestling is another thing.
>>
>>364130
Keeping in mind that martial arts that were to be used solely to maim or injure the other party are all quite similar to each other, it probably can. That depends on the fundamentals you're taught being sound and on individual skill.
If we're talking about arts not merely concerned with that, probably not. Shaolin monks have been developing crazy skills since quite some time, AFAIK no one in Europe did anything of the sort.
>>
>>364130
Yes. Don't let yourself be blinded by east asian mysticism, the west always had plenty of hand to hand combat styles, just look at the ancient olympics with pancratium and shit. If you look at the accounts of 19th century asian martial arts (aka before the commies killed off all the masters and only let to philosophical parts survive), you'll see what they did was pretty much kickboxing plus throws. Which btw is exactly what modern Sanshou is.
>>
>>364130
yes of course, all cultures had martial arts at one point or another, what would really matter is the environment and equipment used in the fight as it was explained to me, the reason why gojo ryu karate has very little movement is because it was mainly used by guardsmen and sailors who didn't wear very heavy armor and would often fight in confined spaces compared to there japanese counterparts who in turn had more grappling/throw heavy martial arts such as judo and akido. some old contemporary Chinese martial arts make very little sense and are impractical because they were suppose to be used against someone who is on horseback.
>>
>>364467
Circus.
>>
>>364130
>>>/asp/
Don't bother here, this thread is painful to read.
>>
>>364735
>/asp/
That board is dead m8, mandrama fags have taken over.
>>
>>364746
Sad to see but a majority of the martial arts guys there were a bunch of larpy bullshitters anyways.

anyone who digs deep enough into martial arts realizes that there are only a limited amount of effective techniques. Those that have a deeper training culture are going to be more efficient at training those techniques. Were europeans beyond hand to hand at that time?
>>
vikings had a martial art called Glima and knights were trained in grappling
>>
>>364181
Wrestling and smacking someone in the head until they quit are the two oldest fighting forms you dumb nigger.
>>
>>364433
A grappler usually wins against a boxer in an all-out melee.
>>
>>364467
>shaolin monks

Yeah really cool when they do crazy fucking shit, but they wouldn't be able to stand against boxers, muai thai artists or fucking European wrestlers.
>>
>>365596
Shaolin have gone to war as mercenaries m8.

Two of the most famous instances being their contribution to the Anti-Piracy effort and their support of Li Yuan's revolution against the Sui Dynasty.

They were also sought after when posses are formed up against bandit groups.
>>
>>365596
>but they wouldn't be able to stand against boxers, muai thai artists or fucking European wrestlers.

Except all the times where they've been pitted in the ring against each other and the monk kicks ass.
>>
>>365596
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAn2AIZFj8

Shaolin Monks don't do any fancy nancy shit when they actually fight and they fought in wars as well
>>
File: Shaolin Monks01.jpg (30 KB, 400x306) Image search: [Google]
Shaolin Monks01.jpg
30 KB, 400x306
>>365596
>Yeah really cool when they do crazy fucking shi
The cool and crazy shit are mostly for promotions m8. Its how the Shaolin temple earns money these days.
>>
>>365688

So they're follow the Jackass model, or is Jackass following them?
>>
>>364130
The Japanese hand to hand stuff in that period was mostly sumo, eary jujutsu systems tended to focus on armored grappling with weapons, I'm sure there were exception of course
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.