[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone here tell me the difference between Sri Lankan and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1447990003319.jpg (138 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
1447990003319.jpg
138 KB, 1000x669
Can someone here tell me the difference between Sri Lankan and Tamil people?

I've researched and researched, and could only find that they, by ethnicity, are the same people, but differ due to some regional/language issues.

So far, all I got was that they speak a different language and are a minority that just wanted land.

General Consensus states that the Tamil Tigers were are terrorist organization. My interest in this request is that my good friend is Sri Lankan but hates Tamil people, and claims that they started the war over literally nothing but greed.

I've talked to some Tamil people that said that Hindu is the devil and Sri Lankans need to "give up what belongs to the Tamils".

So I dunno.

TL;DR; small-town white kid who moved to a big-city wants the quick answer of the difference between the people of Sri Lanka and Tamil origin.
>>
Tamils are from Tamil Nadu, the part of south India directly across from Sri Lanka. The majority population of Sri Lanka are the Sinhalese, who are more closely related to the Bengalese. There's a long history of both peoples on the island, Sinhalese have been there for at least 2000 years and probably more like 2500, while Tamil kings were ruling the island 1000 years ago. Vast majority of the Sinhalese are Buddhist, while most Tamils are Hindu. Tamils and Sinhalese worked together to reject British rule in the early 20th century, but the advent of democracy put the Tamils in a relatively bad position because they're a minority. Process of antagonization and embitterment continued through the Cold War with attempts to make Sinhalese the official language of the nation, pro-Sinhalese affirmative action in education, etc. Standard race war shit. Tamil Tigers began to assassinate with the goal of creating Tamil nation state in the north of the island, eventually growing into a larger insurgency which occupied a lot of the north for 20+ years. Obviously you can imagine how that, even after the government's eventual victory, has produced lasting race hate.
>>
>>363096
Fair enough. Same situation as the Palestinians and Arabs I guess.

Tamil's in Canada where I live are notorious for ripping-off black-culture (rap music, clothing, dummed-down English). That's why my Sinhalese buddy continues to hate them; because when he left towards the end of the War to Canada, he thought he'd meet like-minded Tamils, however, he was upset to realize that they brought their violence and attitude of entitlement with them.

Thanks man, makes a lot more sense now. I tried researching and found basically what you said, but with a lot more mumbo-jumbo that just made it seem more complicated then it needed to be.
>>
>>363229
Torontofag here

I laugh at Tamils. Always at the malls in their tamil herds being unnecessarily loud. They're shit
>>
>>363257
HAHA I'm in Toronto too bro. That's awesome.

Yeah, I've lived here for a year, and I've walked passed groups of black guys, in the hoods at 3 am (I like putting myself in bad situations) and I like to consider myself "colour-blind"; I don't stereotype. I've never had an issue.

2 weeks after my buddies said that in highschool, the worst kids were the Tamil ones, I almost got jumped in broad daylight by 2 Tamils for not giving them my pack of smokes.

Now, I know they are just as violent or rude as any other race, but for some reason, the teenagers LOVE boasting about the Tamil Tigers and seem to be the first ones to talk shit.
>>
File: ThinkstockPhotos-458417957.jpg (208 KB, 1600x1059) Image search: [Google]
ThinkstockPhotos-458417957.jpg
208 KB, 1600x1059
>>363283
>>363257

Not to go /pol/ but who's the worst minority, generally speaking in Canada. I hear you guys have a bunch of them.
>>
>>363307
I'm not sure how you'd generate a definitive answer to that. I guess there's a bunch of factors.

I choose to be pretty passive with race; coming from a small town, the general consensus was anyone who was Black, Indian/Middle Eastern, or Asian was referred to as "nigger, paki, or chink".

And that's just how it was. But in Toronto, I met a lot of people are learned a lot from them; for instance, I've never even heard of Tamils, couldn't tell you the difference between Indian or Middle Eastern people, thought Sikh's were Muslims, and that there were so many little islands or regions that made up a huge population of the world.

So, in Toronto, surprisingly, younger people are seemingly more accepting. White people are a minority here, and that's undeniable. In my college, I was literally the ONLY white kid, and I took 8 classes per semester.

Most people stick to groups. I live in a major Pakistani and Indian neighbourhood. But most people I talk to hate Asians because of the sheer number of them (one large section in Toronto is so densely populated with Asians, it has streets signs in Chinese) and Pakistani people because they are usually dirty (they usually keep up to 6 people in an apartment, leave garbage everywhere, and you can tell their neighbourhood by the rancid smell and garbage on the roads).

But that's just generally speaking.
>>
>>363336
Good lord. As long as you're happy, though.
>>
>>363336
I'm assuming thats the bad side of things. And as with the bad sides, I'm equally assuming there are good sides to these culturing of Toronto.
>>
do they look different from one another? my gf is from that area
>>
>>363096
My understanding was, the nation of Sri Lanka has been a Buddhist nation for the longest and have been trading with the small number of local Indian Tamils via trade cities near the coast.

When the British took power, they reasoned to weaken the power of the Buddhist majority. They did this by importing many Tamils from India to replace buddhist government workers. Once the british left and Sri Lanka got independence, they took steps to reduce the number of Tamils in government. I'm not sure if the ratio:population:power was normalized or it was already normalized and the buddhist lankans reduced the normalized numbers. Either way, the Tamils didn't like the reduction of power/representation (over representation or under representation) and wanted Independence due to the perceived injustice. A large portion resorted to terrorism for many years, and later on the government cracked down on them.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.