[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: we namedrop obscure and unclassified languages and people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 1050px-Tyrsenian_languages.svg.png (186 KB, 1050x750) Image search: [Google]
1050px-Tyrsenian_languages.svg.png
186 KB, 1050x750
ITT: we namedrop obscure and unclassified languages and people make educated (implying) guesses about their origins

>Sumerian
>Hattic
>Tyrsenian languages
>pre-IE languages in Europe
>Cretan hieroglyphs
>>
>>501679
>Sumerian
Developed concurrently with Semites
>Hattic
Pre-IE peoples who inhabited the area, probably developed concurrently with Semites
>Tyrsenian languages
See above, possibly concurrent development with early IE languages but probably older in origin
See above
>Cretan hieroglyphs
See above, also pertains to Linear A and possibly Eteocretan

What's even there to discuss? The origin of every language is that it developed somewhere else than some other language and so is different, and then people moved around.
>>
>Sumerian
Language isolate
>Hattic
Isolate
>Tyrsenian languages
Somewhere in Anatolia
Retarded as fuck question, all over the place
>Cretan hieroglyphs
Crete
>>
>>501837

I dont get the "with Semites" part
>>
>>501883
The Akkadians were Semites. You do know what a Semite is, right?
>>
File: 1439669599349.jpg (14 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
1439669599349.jpg
14 KB, 500x321
>>501903
A semite is a person from the Levant.
>>
>>501903

Yes, but your witting makes your text hard to understood.
>>
>>501917
>A semite is a person from the Levant.
Boy, I didn't know Oman and Ethiopia were in the Levant.
>>
>>501924
Well, that's what I was taught.
>>
>>501917
>A semite is a person from the Levant.
Sometimes posts like this make me angry, then I remember this is 4chan
>>
>>501929
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_languages
Contrary to popular belief, Hamas isn't anti-Semitic, since that would mean they're anti-themselves.
>>
>>501942
Anti-semite means anti jewish, not anti.. Well, anti semite.

>>501941
release your hatred
>>
>>501958
So anti-germanic means specifically anti-english now?
>>
>>501964
what
>>
Where the fuck did Albanian come from? The Caucasus?
>>
>>502475
It's an Indo-European language. Most likely it was just spoken by peasants up in the mountains of the southern Balkans since the Bronze Age.
>>
>>501679
EEF, Early European Farmers, lived in the region since 7000 BC - 5000 BC, moved into southern Italy with Metal Age expansionists.
>>
>>501679
Rex
Roi
Ric
Rix

mind=blown=mind=blown
>>
>Sumerian
Semitic
>Hattic
Either caucasian or semitic
don't know the rest
>>
>>501679
>Cumbric
>Vilamovian
>Yola
>Fingalian
>Jassic
>>
>>502748
>Sumerian
>Semitic
There are absolutely no links between Sumerian and any Afro-Asiatic language.

Sumerian is a language isolate. It is unrelated to any of it's neighbors, like Hattic. Linguists have trawled through the entire vocabulary and grammar system. There is nothing relating it to it's neighbors (Except due to cultural diffusion, but that's neither here nor there).
>>
>>501971
Semites aren't native to the levant retard.
They migrated there in ancient history.
Just like the english migrated to britain.
>>
>>501679
>Sumerian
Also known as Proto-Balto-Slavic
>Hattic
Never heard of it, probably slavic
>Tyrsenian languages
Basically Pelasgians who migrated to Italy and the Alps
Basque and Uralic
>Cretan hieroglyphs
First polish alpahbet
>>
>>501679
Rongorongo

Linear A
>>
>>502885
Language isolates are literally a meme. I have a hard time believing humans invented language independently like two thousand times. Especially in such a densely populated regions like the mediterranean and Mesopotamia
>>
>>503348
Rongo Rongo is a written language isolate,
Rapa nui language is just another branch of polynesian/maori
>>
>>503353

Not even the guy to whom you are replying but using the word "meme" does not make you look as intelligent as you may think.
>>
>>503353
Theyre just part of a language family which got extinct. Just imagine, if humans have been talking from like at least 50,000 years ago then how many dead languages are there
>>
>>503359
This is 4chan, why should I care about how intelligent I look?
>>
>>501837
Literally nonanswers
>>
>>501942
can you stop quoting wikipedia??
>>
>Etruscan
There's hardly anthing know about it and it isn't related to any to any other language in the area where it existed meaning it's either an aboriginal tongue or the etruscan people immigrated from somewhere else
>>
>>504694

Etruscan is related to the languages shown in OP's image. It's probably a/the indigenous language of southern Europe, but some have suggested links to Anatolia.
>>
>>503341

Hattic was a pre-Indo-European language of Anatolia. The natives (as far as we can tell) spoke it before getting conquered by the people who would become the Hittites, Lydians, etc.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.