[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was eating dinner with my parents and somehow we started discussing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1389498738997.png (230 KB, 1393x1075) Image search: [Google]
1389498738997.png
230 KB, 1393x1075
I was eating dinner with my parents and somehow we started discussing the Papacy. During the conversation I learned they have a lot of weird historical conceptions, like that Roman emperor Constantine and Charlemagne were both popes and that classical Romans were still fighting Germans (or "Gallians") in the post-millennial middle ages.

I didn't mean this to be a blog, but I'm curious as to what bizarre historical beliefs people close to you have, and whether history education 30+ years ago was as bad as I'm starting to believe it was.
>>
>>496047
>whether history education 30+ years ago was as bad as I'm starting to believe it was.

I don't think that generally it's bad history education per se, but the attitude people have towards knowledge of history.

Think of your class, back in high school, about those chads and pretty girls or whatever and what kind of an interest they had in history.
Now add on 30 years of folk myths, misinformation in media and the brain just conflating concepts, no wonder you end up with a Charlemagne pope.

tl;dr People just don't care that much about exact historical knowledge.
>>
>>496047
My ex-wife and her mother both believed in the Pope Joan story.
In college a lot of my friends believed that weed was made illegal in the 30s to keep Mexicans away.
>>
>>496093
so when was weed made illegal in the land of the free?
>>
>>496047
>"Europe at the death of Charles the Great"
>Avar Kingdom still existing

I question this map
>>
>>496047
My great grandmother was taught that black people had flat noses due to poor eye sight so they kept running into threes in the jungle, no joke.
>>
>>496047
That map of Sweden is pure bullshit.
>>
>>496047

What were you eating for dinner?
>>
>>496141
Weren't the Avars tributaries of the Franks until the Magyar invasion?

>>496169
To be fair pre-Christian Scandinavian history is pure bullshit.
>>
>>496174
>To be fair pre-Christian Scandinavian history is pure bullshit.
There may be a load of bullshit in it but this is Finnish we wuz scandiz n shit.
>>
>>496188
I think it may just be ignorant conflating of the Sami with Finno-Ugric peoples then "Greater Suomi" nonsense.
>>
File: 1449865809620.png (80 KB, 226x233) Image search: [Google]
1449865809620.png
80 KB, 226x233
>cumbrics
>Welsh
>>
>>496109
Around that time actually by big pharma.
>>
>>496169
The map clearly says that swedes and goths live in the area, and nowhere does it say "The nation state of Sweden". But that the Svea and Goeta lived in that area seems very reasonable...
>>
>>496047

Does falsified history count? I'm sure all eastern block countries could tell quite a few.
>>
>>496198
>>496188
The Finns weren't ever that far suth, and that far Swedish.
Norrland was just dense wilderness where very few people lived.

It wasn't settled untill the late middle ages properly, and pretty much all tribes were integrated into Sweden proper.

Except Samis. But fuck Samis.
>>
>>496047

This kind of maps of the High Middle Ages are usually filled with inaccuracies and sometimes plain bullshit.

The Spanish Mark, for instance, is usually depicted as all of Pyreenean Spain when in truth it was just northern Catalonia ( lol at the basques ever falling under Frankish rule).

Also,

>that Frankish Balearic Islands ever.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.