[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did they lose, again? Weren't they the biggest, baddest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: Mafikeng_Second_Boer_War.jpg (36 KB, 640x324) Image search: [Google]
Mafikeng_Second_Boer_War.jpg
36 KB, 640x324
Why did they lose, again?

Weren't they the biggest, baddest guys around?
>>
Because they were a bunch of pussies, unlike us Americans who single-handedly defeated the British Empire at its height while we were just peasants
>>
>>359090
holy shit it's the guy who single-handedly defeated the British Empire at its height when he was just a peasant
how did you do it, man?
>>
>>359090
5/10 someone will bite
>>
>>359090
The American revolutionists truly were the Vietnamese of their day.
>>
>>359081
Scorched earth and concentration camps broke our peoples' spirits. A little off topic, but we don't even learn about this in school anymore because our government at this moment is treating history as if it started when Apartheid began and before that there is just a void.
>>
>>359081
The first months of the war the English got BTFO pretty hard.
Then >>359128 happened.
>>
>>359128

Do you speak Afrikaans?

What do you think of Bok van Blerk? Where can I find his latest albums? (It's not on what.cd at all.)
>>
>>359128
>Scorched earth and concentration camps
The 'scorched earth' policy you refer to was actually a large scale soil re-nutrification project that army engineers carried out for the benefit of the Boer people.

And the 'concentration camps' that you so colourfully described were in fact a mix of holiday camps and fortified villages that the British built so that Boer women and children could be sheltered from the ravages of the conflict.

Please check your facts and privilege.
>>
>>359081
The Boers had not enough foreign support. They won tacticly, but because their troops were not proffesionals and had families to care for most of them went home the moment the English started rounding up families.

The English also were able to quickly lay lots of rails in the area, making it very easy for them to quickly amass troops at critical points. This also meant that the Boer commandos who fought a geurilla war that the English could react very quickly at percieved threats.

If you want to read more about it read: The boer war, by Martin Bossenbroek
>>
File: Bethulie_Kampkerkhof.jpg (178 KB, 800x542) Image search: [Google]
Bethulie_Kampkerkhof.jpg
178 KB, 800x542
>>359146
Measles , dysentry and other diseases were rampant in those 'holiday camps' Families of Boers who were still fighting got very small rations making most of them underfed.

This is the cemetary memorial wall of one of those camps. A lot of people died in the camps
>>
>>359081
That's the second Boer War... and the Brits won
We lost the first Boer War (only campaign lost under Victoria) due to the guerilla nature of the Boer tactics.
>>
>>359081
My great grandfather fought in the Second Boer War (British), I never met him but apparently he said the first thing that you learned was to look around cover rather than over it, as the Boer were such good shots that more often than not if you peeked over a rock during a gun battle they could get bullet into your head without much difficulty.
>>
>>359081
Concentration camps
>>
>>359146
Oh come on. I'm British and you're talking shit. I don't disagree, the camps weren't anything like Nazi camps, and had no intention of killing anyone, but they were poorly managed and resulted in a lot of deaths.
>>
>>359090
Meanwhile, the French made an army of more then 300.000 soldiers and send them in the ports of the Channel. Should I mention the 500 tons of weapons they gave you or the fact that they paid the patriots to fight?
>>
>>359387
>Oh come on. I'm British and I can't detect parody
Are you sure you're not German?
>>
>>359081

all the best boers ended up as pillars of the british imperial establishment.

the bittereinders all fucked off to the dutch east indies, german africa or argentina, or formed weirdo organisations like the ossewa brandwag, who formed the basis for the nats who came to power in '46 and implemented apartheid.

fucking nats.
>>
>>359146
Whoa, the turks and japs could learn a thing or two from you brits.
>>
>>359502
>or formed weirdo organisations like the ossewa brandwag
Oddly enough a lot of them ended up in internment camps during WW2.

Do the Boers really enjoy British hospitality that much?
>>
>>359521

they really did. in fact, they liked it so much they decided to pay it forward with the Group Areas Act.
>>
>>359081

The english invented concentration camps and basically btfo asymmetric warfare by just being perfidious and inhuman as fuck to the local population.
>>
File: malayabanditbehead.jpg (70 KB, 283x413) Image search: [Google]
malayabanditbehead.jpg
70 KB, 283x413
>>359582
Worked well in Malaya as well.
>>
File: Brit2.png (29 KB, 599x578) Image search: [Google]
Brit2.png
29 KB, 599x578
>>359582
>being smarter than everyone else is a negative trait

lol
>>
>>359582
It didn't work out as well as they hoped. A lot of the deaths were the Brits in charge of the camps because there were no supplies to look after anyone because the Boers kept blowing up the train lines.
>>
>>359795

one of my forebaers was an engineer sent to buid blockhouses along the railroads for this very reason.

the blockhouses, the execution of boers wearing british army khakhi and the petering out of enthusiasm for the guerilla war was what brought the boers to the table at vereeniging.

boer pow's were sent to saint helena, too. there was a cool show called 'arende' about a boer pow and a british officer set during this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Iq8LyZu6k

i'm too afraid to watch it now in case it turns out to be shit, like so many other shows i watched as a kid (like airwolf)
>>
>>359478
I'm British, of course I'm German.
>>
>>359117
thats right our country was the first to use guerilla warfare in history. we also invented freedom and democracy
>>
>>359146
mmm delicious bait
>>
>>359994
and sex and french fries
>>
In vuur en bloed vind ek my nou
Soos elke boer en kind en vrou
'n Oormag kwyl nou oor ons land
Staan gewapen tot die tand
Sy skadu val 'n donker wolk
Oor die toekoms van ons volk
En veg ons nie sal ons verdwyn
By Magersfontein, by Magersfontein, by Magersfontein
Trek ons die lyn

Kom boerekrygers wees nou helde
Die dag van rekenskap is hier
Die Vyand jaag nou oor ons velde
Staan jou man teen kanon se vuur
Die kakies wil ons volk verower
Belowe pyn en smart
Maar as jy skiet, skiet my deur
As jy skiet, skiet my deur
As jy skiet, skiet my deur
My Afrikanerhart
>>
>>359145
Ja ek praat Afrikaans. Yes I do speak Afrikaans. Bok van Blerk is one of the better Afrikaans singers in our country at the moment, but the overall industry is quite terrible. I have no idea where you can find his latest album, sorry.

>>360321
Ek het hoendervleis.
>>
>>360682
>one of the better Afrikaans singers

Oh, do you have any other suggestions for me then?

I don't understand the language, but I really like the Boer war imagery and all.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.