[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/, regular from /sci/ here. Having made it through Uni
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 352x418) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 352x418
Hey /his/, regular from /sci/ here. Having made it through Uni and into the workforce, i have subsequently decided to round out my education with humanities. I was wondering if anyone here had some suggestions for good books in philosophy? I am almost entirely new to the subject, am dimly aware of Renaissance thinkers like Descartes and Kant, but am generally philosophically uneducated. Ideally, I would like to learn the subject in historical order, starting with the ancient Greeks, through the Romans and the early Christians, Avicenna and other Islamic thinkers, then Renaissance European philosophy up to the present day. However, I'm open to all suggestions, as long as it's a good read and available on kindle.
>>
>>358753
Kant was not a renaissance thinker, family.
>>
I'd actual recommend this:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/great-ideas-of-philosophy-2nd-edition.html

Get it and listen to it while commuting to and from work.
>>
>Renaissance thinkers like Descartes and Kant
>Renaissance European philosophy
>Renaissance

Oh boy...
>>
>>358764
>>358790
Clearly this is why I need the education. I tend to think of Renaissance as anything after Galileo.
>>
Read Maggee's Story of Philosophy. It is a great beginner's book.

Also, pic related: Start with A Brief History of Ancient Greece - Pomeroy, et al, then read a book on mythology (Hamilton's is good), then read the Homeric Epics (Fitzgerald's, Lattimore's, or Merill's), then Hesiod, then Herodotus, then Thucydides, then Aeschylus' Oresteia, Sophocle's Theban Plays, Euripede's Medea, and then Aristophane's Clouds, then read 'The Pre-Socratics and the Sophists' published by Oxford, then 'Complete Works - Plato' then 'Basic Works - Aristotle'. Anything else you can chuck in if you're interested.
>>
>>358805
Renaissance is anything up to Galileo. It begins in the 15th century, ends in the early 17th. And it was pretty shit for anything but art to be honest. Philosophically it was totally dominated by Humanism.

Enlightenment is generally considered to begin with Descartes, 1637 or thereabouts.
>>
>>358851
And Kant is one of the quintessential Enlightenment thinkers btw.
>>
>>358821
How will this leave me time to study anything else? I was really hoping to come to Avicenna at some point.
>>
>>358851
I know next to nothing on the subject of art, and am generally uninterested in history. I think perhaps here I am confusing the terms 'enlightenment' and 'renaissance'.
>>
File: objective meaning.png (674 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
objective meaning.png
674 KB, 960x768
>>358753
Here is how the big boys do it :

Plato --> (Nietzsche -->) Hegel --> Heidegger --> Hegel
>>
Start with the greeks.
>>
>>358753
This will help with some stuff.

http://4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Philosophy
>>
>>360948
Thanks for this, does anyone have any favorites on this list?
>>
>>358774
It's a bit expensive . . .
>>
>>360948
OP here. Thank you so much for this list. Been trolling through it, adding samples to my kindle for the previous day now, the list is a fucking gold mine.

Now, could anyone suggest a general introduction/overview of philosophy? A book that covers the whole subject but without depth and is accessable?
>>
>>363310
Lucky for us threre's thepiratebay
>>
>>364281
If you could point to us where you found that torrent it would be great, couldn't find the damn thing
>>
>>364281
Never mind m8, found it, went full retard, just have to remove the "the"
>>
>>358753
OP just listen to people talk, how they write.
Watch some great thinkers ideas on modern topics
try to create your own thoughts based on what you hear, see and feel

For me at first it was daunting but then I realised there is not an entry level, you just dive in and use that mind and I find it helpful to write down thoughts no matter how shitty they could be.
once you are thinking it all becomes easy and a complicated idea of the past becomes clear and you will be able to realise it like it's in front of you and utilise it 'properly'
>>
>>358753
Start with the Greeks.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.