[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is morality a social construct?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 2012-9.25.10.jpg (88 KB, 363x317) Image search: [Google]
2012-9.25.10.jpg
88 KB, 363x317
hi guys, is morality a social construct?
>>
yes

it also exists
>>
>>357912
Yes, but you need to understand how social construction works. It isn't vulgar individualist idealism. Rather the totality of cultural institutions which exist in permanent conflict produce constructs that lie prior to our conscious being and exist for ALL of us in society simultaneously.

It isn't like word policing, government initiatives, or do-gooders can change the construction of the moral.
>>
>>357920
can u write this in a "lite" version? my brain not good with words :(
>>
>>357935
Thinking different don't make it different.

What you can think is based on your family, school, church, government, media. And what they can think is based on their family, school, church, government, media. They can't think different either.

But they're in conflict, continuous conflict, and this conflict changes what it is possible to think over time.

We can't just change words to change what people think: people use new words for the old thoughts.
>>
>>357953
thank u dude
>>
>>357912
Yes but social construct does not invalidate shit unlike what plebs would lead you to believe
Social construct (like theory) is something that plebs never really have grasped for some reason
>>
>>357974
A lot of people believe that social constructs can be changed though.

For example feminists.
>>
>>357977
A lot of bourgeois liberals think that language and thought policing can discipline the unruly working classes.

They're wrong, and they're probably going to be hung if the working class hasn't significantly changed. And there's no evidence that it has up until the 25 year rule kicks in.

The radical feminists of the 1980s remind me of the temperance movement and the eugenics birth control movement: attempts by rich bourgeois women to police the unruly working class's use of drugs, sexuality and "vulgar" language. Here's what I have to say to them:

fuck youse cunts.
>>
>>357977
>>357974

Sure they can be changed.

The problem is: What functions did the prior social construct provide? What functions will the new social construct provide? How will functions unmet by the new construct be provided?

The common notion that social constructs should be arbitrarily changed or even dismissed is odd. Not to say social constructs are sacrosanct, but for fucks sake see if there's a problem first. Is it dysfunctional? Or outright broken? What do we need that it isn't providing? What would provide it?
>>
>>358056
>Society must be defended
>>
>>357935
Not the same person, but think about your rent. They are social constructs. But you can't just ignore them and tell the landlord they aren't true from your point of view without consequences.

Or a judge in a soccer game. The whole game is a social construct, but if the judge gives you a red card, then some guy in black and white for some odd reason manages to force your body to the bench not because he's stronger than you but because those are the rules of the game and you WILL obey them.
>>
>>358081
you can be homeless and you can quit soccer tho
>>
>>357987
You're right to be honest.

Modern feminism is extremely rich and upper-class.
>>
>>358056
The point I was trying to make is that not all social constructs can be changed.

The fact that humans love their offspring to the point of being willing to die in order for them so survive is also a social construct, but if we actively tried to destroy that urge among people, we would soon be extinct.
>>
>>358111
Yes, but I don't really see what that has to do with my examples.
>>
>>358124
Feminism has always been for the rich woman desu
>>
>>358140
the rules can be broken even with consequences, you can trump the consqeunces
>>
>>358145
>Feminism has always been for the rich woman desu
Emma Goldman
>>
>>358068
See here:
>Not to say social constructs are sacrosanct
The important part is what functions are being provided, why is that construct there. *What* that construct is, is not entirely relevant as long as said functions are provided.

>>358127
>The fact that humans love their offspring to the point of being willing to die in order for them so survive is also a social construct, but if we actively tried to destroy that urge among people, we would soon be extinct.
Ancient Sparta provides an example of a society which, though I would not say did not love their offspring, certainly had an alternative view of their relationship to their offspring.

Any social construct can be changed, the question is what that construct provides and how will that need be met.

In the case of offspring, the need is the propagation of a society's people. It is not strictly necessary that *all* offspring survive, that *all* offspring be loved to the point of self-sacrifice. As long as the numbers for population growth are met, that construct is free to be molded towards other functions for that society. In the case of Sparta, they had a social construct of attitude towards offspring that both served to expand the population and provide for a military society.
>>
>>357912
Obviously. We came up with morality to ensure we are not total cunts to eachother all of time, instead of just most of the time. Yes, it is a construction
>>
>>357912
I would imagine a large part of morality is to some extent inherent, I'm not a biologist but it would makes sense if a certain degree of basic shit like empathy, revulsion to torture etc. is natural.

Mostly it's a spook though, but that doesn't mean it isn't real or important.
>>
>>358148
Well yea but I don't really see your point. You can "trump" the consequences in the same way you "trump" gravity by standing upright.
>>
all definitions are social constructs.

That doesn't make the many less real.
>>
>>358810
reality is a social construct
>>
>>358818
certainly
>>
All culture is a social construct.
>>
>>357912
To a certain extent it is, to a certain extent it's not.

Humans aren't solitary creatures. By their very nature they're inclined to form states and having certain intrinsic "morality", e.g. an aversion to randomly kill people of ones own group, helps maintain the cohesion of the group.
However, various types of rules, e.g. certain sets of clothes being seen as brash or shameful, certain food being considered inedible or immoral, or various ideas about sexuality when it comes to choice of partners, age of consent, etc., is certainly mostly a social construct.
>>
File: fsfsg.png (104 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
fsfsg.png
104 KB, 480x360
morality revolves around institutes
stick with ethics
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.