[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point were Catholics accepted as white? Was it in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: d6k6kkb.jpg (141 KB, 1115x716) Image search: [Google]
d6k6kkb.jpg
141 KB, 1115x716
At what point were Catholics accepted as white? Was it in the late 19th Century?
>>
>>357174

catholics have nothing to do with whitnes, just WASP bullshit.

But back in the 1600s I know in the British colonies Catholics were only allowed in Maryland and it became like a safe haven for them, but they had like no rights until the American Revolution then they could start running for shit and voting, but no one really liked them and didnt vote for them is all.
>>
>>357174
>>>/pol/
>>
File: 1348502576046.jpg (47 KB, 680x578) Image search: [Google]
1348502576046.jpg
47 KB, 680x578
>>357251
>we can't discuss the impact the concept of race has had on history at all or it's /pol/
>>
>>357259
That's not what you asked at all
>>
>>357201
>Catholics had nothing to do with whites
Really? Pretty sure that's the reason Scots were accepted as white, but Irish weren't.
>>
catholics are literally the whitest of all denominations
>>
>>357295
>Italians
>Irish
>Spanish

vs.

Germans
English
Scottish
>>
>>357174
It is ironic how catholics weren't regarded as white when anglicanism was just born because Henry VIII wanted to stick his dick in as much pussy as possible. So WASPs, including anglicans and protestants, are the true niggers.
>>
>>357298
You're negating that they were catholic up until the 16th century with the protestant reforms. So get fucked, you fucking protestant shit.
>>
File: 895.jpg (20 KB, 328x500) Image search: [Google]
895.jpg
20 KB, 328x500
>>357300
Henry VIII was perfectly in the right

>Know that Marriage is an outward material thing like any other secular business.

>But the woman is free through the divine law and cannot be compelled to suppress her carnal desires. Therefore the man ought to concede her right and give up to somebody else the wife who is his only in outward appearance.

>Suppose I should counsel the wife of an impotent man, with his consent, to giver herself to another, say her husband’s brother, but to keep this marriage secret and to ascribe the children to the so-called putative father. The question is: Is such a women in a saved state? I answer, certainly.

>I confess that I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God. In such a case the civil authority has nothing to do in the matter.

>Christ committed adultery first of all with the women at the well about whom St. John tells us. Was not everybody about Him saying: ‘Whatever has He been doing with her?’ Secondly, with Mary Magdalen, and thirdly with the women taken in adultery whom He dismissed so lightly. Thus even, Christ who was so righteous, must have been guilty of fornication before He died.

-Martin "the Pope ain't my hope" Luther
>>
>>357308
People were not conscious of their white identity then, my little Papist pet.
>>
>>357295
I actually have a theory that whites used to be just as ugly / low IQ as say, modern Spaniards or Italians before the reformation. God's grace whitens you on the inside and outside I guess.
>>
>>357174
Daily reminder that anglos aren't white
>>
>>357298
>intentionally forgetting the French, Poles, and South Germans
>>
>>357174
The history of America is basically one that you're white as soon as you start hating black people.

That was the big stumbling block for the Irish, and once that was certain, they were white.

Repeat for the Jews, Italians and Poles.
>>
File: I must unite.jpg (99 KB, 728x701) Image search: [Google]
I must unite.jpg
99 KB, 728x701
I'd like to turn this around and ask if someone can give me a quick guide to how people divided races.

If we look at the start of the 20th century,did the Scandinavians, Germans and British all use the same division between races? If not, what was the differences? Or was it so arbitrary between people dividing people in races that there was no "German" or "British" way to categorize people?
>>
File: rose.jpg (64 KB, 705x358) Image search: [Google]
rose.jpg
64 KB, 705x358
>>357174
>accepted as white

By whom? Who decides whats "white" and what isnt?
What a stupid question.
>>
>>358669
Mainstream consensus, I suppose.
>>
>>357324
>literally espouses mormon ideology
>calls other people low IQ
Top kek
>>
>>358640
I don't think Poles were considered white, either. South Germans were because they were seen as the same nationality as other Germans.

People of French descent in America actually were more Protestant, that's why they came to the country.
>>
File: diversitygen.jpg (109 KB, 632x439) Image search: [Google]
diversitygen.jpg
109 KB, 632x439
>>357174
They aren't white
>>
>>357174
Most are black or Hispanic
>>
>>357298
>Germans
>White
>English
>White
>Scottish
>White
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.