[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Portugal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Portugal_topographic_map-pt.png (2 MB, 974x1720) Image search: [Google]
Portugal_topographic_map-pt.png
2 MB, 974x1720
What can /his/ tell me about Portugal? Any experts in Portuguese history here?
>>
>>354805

Such broad terms are exactly that, very broad.

Do you want to talk about the Ancient Lusitanni or the birth of the county which later became a kingdom?
>>
>>354833
Portugal specifically. The county that became the nation we know and love today.
>>
>>354911

The County of Portugal was in the northern tip of todays Portugal and was part of the Kingdom of Leon until it eventually broke away in the XII century and eventually was upgraded to the rank of Kingdom by the Pope because pay moneys and be a direct vassal of the States of the Church.
>>
>>354929
Ok. And then what
>>
>>354911

Alfonso VI of Leon and Castile married his daughters with foreigner nobles.
Henry of the House of Burgundy was married to Therese, illegimate daughter of Alfonso VI, and were given Portugal, while his cousin Raimund was given the now heiress Urraca.
The cousins maneuvered to gain more influence over the kingdom but ultimately died before fulfilling their objetives.
Now, Theresa ruled her county for her son Alfonso while Urraca reigned over the realm facing multiple oposition, among them, Theresa who tried to break the links that tied Portucale to the queen.
The young Alfonso would inherite the efforts of his mother and thus, he became the first king of Portugal.
>>
>>354932

And then they proceeded with Reconquista taking muslim clay to the south until being kuked out of further advance by Castille in the XIII century and thus conforming the current borders.

They couldn't help but remain kuked for a century until deciding to get involved in the castillian civil war, end up in the losing side and endure a castillian invasion and siege of Lisbon that didn't worked out well for Castille in the end. So back to status quo and this time the Portus decided to unkuk themselves by investing moneys in building ships and go sailing around, little by little, to see what's around, especially towards Africa in search of the Guinea gold and in hopes of finding a way to the asian lands of spices and China.
>>
>>354932

Warring agaisnt Islam, Leon and Castile.
Manages to end her part of Reconquista.
Sides with England in the context of France and England looking for support during HYW.
Launchs expeditions to Africa and Atlantic.
Colonization of isles.
>>
File: arabictoponymy.png (1 MB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
arabictoponymy.png
1 MB, 800x680
Relevant /int/ bantz
>>
>>355024

Then post it on /int/
>>
>>354805
It was the only country in Europe to be ruled as an overseas territory, not including the Muslim conquests of course. And it was ruled from Brazil.
>kekd hard
>HUE
Joking aside, I just learned about it today. Basically, when Napoleon invaded, the prince regent escaped and moved his court to Rio de Janeiro and proclaimed the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves. Then he returned in 1815, and his son whom he left back in Brazil, rebelled and proclaimed Brazil an independent country.
I thought stuff like that only happened in alt-history novels, but it's real and pretty cool.
>>
File: 1375619961169.gif (765 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1375619961169.gif
765 KB, 240x180
>>355024
>tfw living on a 0 area
>>
>>355176
>I thought stuff like that only happened in alt-history novels, but it's real and pretty cool.

It was indeed a pretty unique event. I don't know what allowed it to happen. There were rumours (mind you, rumours) that the king of Spain was trying to do the same and it caused massive butthurt, it would've never worked there. And I doubt it would've worked with other colonial powers like Britain.

It's not like Portugal was ruled from Brazil for a long time, though.
>>
>>355233
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aranda_Ministry

There was even a plan to divide America between the Spanish king childrens.
>>
It's odd that that I know much about Portugal's history, but nothing about the modern state.

It's like the last thing they did was relinquish their colonies, and nothing of note has come from Portugal since.
>>
>>355261

They became part of the European Economic Comunity... And that all.
>>
>>355274
Something something Salazar and the Colonial War.
>>
>>355254
It doesn't say shit about it in your link and, anyways, it's about a government that didn't even last a year before being BTFO'd.

Anyways, I was talking about reality and not plans made in the court. No european of the time would accept being ruled by an american king, the case of Portugal is almost unbelievable and it was short and anecdotic.
>>
Any Portuguese brehs around here? Can one of you pls explain to me what the relation between Portugal and Burgundy is? I've read some, but nothing touches on the linguistics.
>>
>>355176
then his son abdicated the brazilian throne came to Portugal to fight is brother and had a son with a nun in the process
>>
>>355286

That happened before relinquishing the colonies.
We were talking about after.
>>
>>355311
the father of the first portuguese king was from Burgundy. Other than that, nothing
>>
>>355311

Thats all>>354973
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.