[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is omnipotence logically sound? What does /his/ think about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: TJ8rjVv.jpg (506 KB, 1390x787) Image search: [Google]
TJ8rjVv.jpg
506 KB, 1390x787
Is omnipotence logically sound?
What does /his/ think about the problems with omnipotence? i.e. Could God commit suicide, could God build a wall that he couldn't break, things like that
>>
Could God redeem humanity without a sacrifice ?
>>
When you ask 'can God commit suicide' and shit like that you imply he is confined to our humanly perception of space and time, all that good jazz.

God can't kill himself because he's not mortal nor is he immortal, the true God is beyond comprehensions and cannot be defined by earthly concepts.
>>
>>350487
This. God doesn't need to be "logically" sound or make sense, we can't make any sense of Him because he exists beyond a comprehensible level. It's all a matter of faith.
>>
Logos is part of God's being.
>>
>>350487
I'm inclined to agree but this kind of reasoning precludes interesting discussion
>>
>>350503
That's a little bit too tv evangelical for me
>>
why is /his/ full of religious debates?
>>
>>350570
God isn't a religious concept unless you make it one.
>>
>>350570
This is where /pol/ thinks they can talk about religion all the time for some reason
>>
>>350580
he isn't a historical figure either
>>
File: 1442157438287.jpg (75 KB, 639x628) Image search: [Google]
1442157438287.jpg
75 KB, 639x628
>>350580
>God isn't a religious concept unless you make it one.
>>
>>350580
lol fuck off
>>
>>350581
How the fuck is a discussion about the abstract concept of omnipotence /pol/ ? Have you been to /pol/ or do you just throw it around for ad hominem
>>
>>350588
>>350590
>>350592
> what is deism
>>
>>350596
I wasn't even attacking anyone you faggot stop throwing ad hom around like a redditor.
>>
File: 1417562834001.jpg (11 KB, 248x252) Image search: [Google]
1417562834001.jpg
11 KB, 248x252
>>350603
A religious concept
>>
>>350607
Please explain how one practices the religion of deism
>>
>>350621
>a religious concept
>a religion
quit pretending to be stupid please
>>
>>350624
I'm dying to hear your definition of a religious concept
>>
>>350631
A concept in which the existence of a God/creator/deity exists
>>
>>350643
Holy fuck that circular logic
>>
>>350650
Welcome to theology. Why not tell us simple ignoramuses how God has nothing to do with religion then?
>>
>>350487
A being from another dimension. Absent of time and what we would call a "physical" existence. God simply is.
>>
>Could God commit suicide
If omnipotence itself is your focus replacing God with omnipotent being would avoid people being destracted by properties other than omnipotence.
I don't see why omnipotence itself should prevent suicide.
>>
>>350487
>>350503
>god doesn't need to make logical sense

INTO THE TRASH IT GOES
>>
>>350400
Your Yahweh doesn't look Jewish enough. Remember who is chosen people are and who he chose to 'make himself as'.
>>
>>350400
A lot of the discussion about the problems with omnipotence rely on an equivocal definition.

For example, before I can logically assess the question "If God is omnipotent, could God build a wall that He couldn't break" I have to understand the exact definition of "omnipotent" as it is used here. Some definitions will make the phrase "He couldn't" nonsensical.
>>
>>350650
That's not a circular argument
>>
>>350650
Religion is any faith based interpretation of any event. Faith is the belief in something either without evidence of its existence, or despite evidence to the contrary.

It is reasonably well asserted that there exists no evidence that provides a sufficient degree of belief to assert that a non zero integer, rational, irrational, real or complex number of gods exist. Ergo gods are constructs of faith until further evidence. Hence gods are related to religion.

No circular logic required, I can give you the symbolic formalism if you require it.
>>
>>350400
Depends on your definition of omnipotence as this guy says quite nicely; >>350986

That said it is experimentally demonstrable that no being is omniscient.
>>
>>351119
You were correct until
> hence gods are related to religion
That's a non sequitur
>>
>>350948
What? That's just a bit of art from dark souls, not yahweh
>>
>>351053
I asked for a definition of a religious concept
> God is a religious concept
> a religious concept is any that supposes God exists

Attempting to prove a is b by claiming b is a
>>
>>351119
I also disagree that any faith based interpretation of an event is religion, you can irrationally interpret things in a completely secular way
>>
File: nope.jpg (49 KB, 678x344) Image search: [Google]
nope.jpg
49 KB, 678x344
>"God is beyond any comprehension or earthly concept."

>believe in it anyway
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.