[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do they look so Asian?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 13
Why do they look so Asian?
>>
>>349995
Sunlight
>>
>>349995
Just like Asians developed squinty eyes because they had to squint to see individual grains of rice, the Khoisan had to squint because there was lots of sand and it was really bright
>>
>>349995
They both adapted to bright deserts/frozen wastes?
>>
I'm guessing asians and turtles stem from the same genotype.
>>
>>349995
Because neoteny. It's how humans will look like in a few thousand years.
>>
>>349995
Because WE WUZ QINGZ N SHEET
>>
>>350097
Just like clockwork
>>
>>350067

Hey man, there's a reason why we like isolationism so much.
>>
i think its retarded that people think asians has eyes like that because of cold. Why dont europeans have eyes like that? Whites lived far longer in cold places than asians, and thailand is not very cold.

it must be another reason
>>
>>350141
It's not the cold its the brightness continually reflecting off the ground.
>>
>>350141
>thailand

Thai people have significant admixture from peoples originally from China who had smaller eyes.
>>
>>350141
It's called migration, anon. East Asians presumably spent a long time up north around reflective snow (I presume) before migrating to where they are now. They kept the eyes because why the fuck not.
>>
>>350141
>i think its retarded that people think asians has eyes like that because of cold. Why dont europeans have eyes like that? Whites lived far longer in cold places than asians, and thailand is not very cold.

Beijing is the same latitude as Rome. But Beijing is colder than Rome by like 20 degrees.
>>
>>350042
then why do arabs lack chink eyes?
>>
>>350193
There are some berbers who have epicanthic folds actually
>>
>>350193
Same reason Europeans don't, whatever reason that may be. Both are very closely related.
>>
>>350188
Rome is in one of the southernmost parts of europe.

The mongols still look much different from germanics tho
>>
>>350193
Not all Asians have "chink eyes" either
>>
>>350188
Inuit live on the same parallel as Nordics but completely different climates.
>>
>>350147
Europe is sunnier than Asia
>>
>>350249
Yeah that's my point exactly.
>>
>>350251
RETARD ALERT!!!
>>
>>349995
You guys are all missing the reason.
It's not climate.

For some reason east asians evolved to look young and childlike into adulthood, it's called neoteny.
"chinese eyes" are called epicanthal folds, and they're something which are usually found in children but disappear quite quickly, asians retain them.

As for the San Africans, for some reason they went through the same selection process.

Pic not fake
>>
File: 张涵予d355adb5e3d5ae39c71.jpg (58 KB, 800x1016) Image search: [Google]
张涵予d355adb5e3d5ae39c71.jpg
58 KB, 800x1016
>>350266
>"chinese eyes" are called epicanthal folds

Alright firstly it's NOT called "chinese eyes"
And secondly a LOT of Asians DO NOT HAVE EPICANTHAL FOLDS

They don't have epicanthal folds but their eyes still remain distinctively Mongoloid/East Asian
>>
>>350266
Bushmen were the most populous human population for some, which could have made them evolve more quickly.

http://news.sciencemag.org/africa/2014/12/dwindling-african-tribe-may-have-been-most-populous-group-planet
>>
>>350272
>Alright firstly it's NOT called "chinese eyes"
Duh, i just told you, it's called Epicanthal folds, learn what quote marks mean.
Most Asians do have it, that man has it slightly, at least compared to a European.
>>
>>350281
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicanthic_fold

Read this.

Many Asians do not have it. A lot do have it.
And also many Europeans also have it.

It's not unique to Asians.
>>
>>350287
I already read that. In the extreme noticeable form it is unique to asians.
>>
>>350266
Neoteny has fugg all to do with epicanthic folds I'm pretty sure. Kids don't have epicanthic folds. Neoteny is the reason for their other features though.
>>
>>350312
Actually kids do have them most of the time, it usually goes away while still young though. Babies nearly always have it.
>>
>>350300
The slanty eyes you referring to have nothing to do with epicathic folds, so don't refer to them as such. If you weren't referring to them as such then you had no good reason for bringing epicathic folds up because we are talking about slanty eyes.
>>
File: namibia.jpg (681 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
namibia.jpg
681 KB, 2560x1600
Their environment contributed to it. Most of the Khoisan remaining today live in Namibia. Which has a very dry climate and a fold in the eye would most likely help prevent with sand catching the eye.
>>
>>350367
Why do so many Amerindians have epicanthic folds when they live in diverse environments
>>
>>350367
What a beautiful countryside.
>>
>>350364
The squinty eyes of most east asians absolutely are epicanthic folds
>>
>>350387
theyre descended from asians
>>
You guys are really, really, really dumb.

Khoisan are not genetically unified; there are many distinct "races" the distance or greater than whites vs asians and yet they all have similar features.

The span great distances and climates and they are not alone in having those kinds of eyes. All Africans have people with slanted eyes. It's just in their variation.

Also you guys are stupid to think all the khoi and san groups are from the desert. Like really fucking stupid.
>>
>>350411
Only partially. Plus ancient facial reconstructions show "races" looked different
>>
File: san.jpg (30 KB, 356x500) Image search: [Google]
san.jpg
30 KB, 356x500
>>350092
This is what I don't get

>oldest people on the planet
>look so incredibly young until they hit 60

It's cool though.
>>
>>349995
This picture reminds me in an awful manner of the scene in which Yoda is on Luke's back in the first Star Wars movie.
>>
>>350367
But they evolved in East Africa. That being said, that is beautiful.
>>
>>350470
Even the Kennewick man that looks more "Caucasian" or "Polynesian" still has Native American DNA. It seems that the Natives looked more diverse back in the day.
>>
>>350406
No, the squinty eyes are different. A lot of people with squinty eyes just happen to have epicathic folds.
>>
>>350147
Do people believe this ? This is Lamarck babby tier evolution. People can squint their entire lives and it still won't change their DNA. It's much more likely that Asian people developed with smaller gene pools who likely had those almond eyes in them, and that they were seen as attractive or helped people in some ways to be better hunters.
>>
>>351087
Maybe Proto-Asians evolved directly from Khoisan?
>>
>>350247
I don't think you know what makes "chink" eyes, it's the lack of a double fold eyelid and the fact that this results in a tighter closed lid around the tear ducts and the nickhide.
>>
>>351081
No, Asian eyes are caused by the epicanthic folds. That's literally the reason.
>>351087
It's not through Lamarck methods, presumably being able to see better eventually makes you survive more and thus spread your genes more.
>>
>>351102
Maybe, I don't know a lot about that but I know basic evolutionary theories, and I think a lot of people assume that almond eyes come because of the sun or some shit, but that's not how genetics work, acquired traits and features don't go in your DNA and therefore don't affect your children.
>>
>>351112
You can have slanty eyes without skin covering the inner parts of the eye.
>>
>>351112
Of course, but even then, it's unlikely that people with "squinty" eyes had that much more of an advantage, I mean squinting isn't something you need to do the whole time, I think it is l, as I said before much more likely that some recessive genes were more dominant in certain genepools and that squinty eyes are a result of "large scale inbreeding"
Basically every people started from a few individuals and there are still people's nowadays pretty much untainted for 10-20 or more generations and they have certain features more likely than others.
>>
>>351087
Could even be largely down to chance, perhaps epicanthic folds randomly were more prevalent in Asian populations after the genetic bottleneck of the Toba eruption, with later sexual selection
>>
>>351139
Yea thats why i think its just another part of Asian neoteny.
>Ashley Montagu said, "the skeleton of the classic Mongoloid type is very delicately made, even down to the character of the sutures of the skull which, like those of the infant skull, are relatively smooth and untortuous. In fact the Mongoloid presents so many physical traits which are associated with the late fetus or young infant that he has been called a fetalized, infantilized or pedomorphic type. Those who have carefully observed young babies may recall that the root of the nose is frequently flat or low as in Mongoloids, and that an internal epicanthic fold in such instances is usually present. The smaller number of individual head hairs and the marked hairlessness of the remainder of the body are infantile traits, as are likewise the small mastoid processes, the shallow fossa into which the jawbone fits (the mandibular fossa), the rather stocky build, the large brain-pan and brain, lack of brow ridges, and quite a number of other characters."[64]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoteny#Mongoloids
>>
File: homo_sapiens_idaltu.gif (60 KB, 520x250) Image search: [Google]
homo_sapiens_idaltu.gif
60 KB, 520x250
Shouldn't Idaltu have epicanthic folds too?
>>
>>350387
Native Americans are relatively new arrivals to america. They'll need some more thousands of years to become racially distinct from asians.
>>
>>349995
descendants of a shipwrecked crew from zheng he's treasure fleet :^)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He
>>
File: Philip Aguer army spokesperson.jpg (40 KB, 550x360) Image search: [Google]
Philip Aguer army spokesperson.jpg
40 KB, 550x360
even sudanese can look 'asian'
>>
>>351116
>acquired traits and features don't go in your DNA
uhhhhhhh
>>
>>351102
Nah, all Eurasians are much more closely related to each other then to any African group
>>
>>349995
They have different cranial morphology tho.

>>351656
mongoloids don't have brow ridge like that.
>>
>>352840
They don't though?
>>
We wuz samurai n shit
>>
>>352873
m8 leave stem to stems
>>
>>352903
m8 of course the conditions you experience can influence the expression of your genes, I even read something recently suggesting that the season you are born in (sunlight length) effected traits such as predisposition to depression IIRC. I havn't read a lot on epigenetics, but i'm pretty sure beneficial 'acquired traits and features' being selected for through 'don't go in your DNA'
>>
>>352903
And I do disagree with the anon who made the comment. Of course epicanthic fold could be an adaptive feature related to sunlight exposure, but why would Asian populations experience a greater selection pressure than other populations. Wouldn't sexual selection seem more likely?
>>
>>350014
>Just like Asians developed squinty eyes because they had to squint to see individual grains of rice
Is this for real? lmao
>>
>>351155
What's the point of neoteny though?

I don't want my descendants to be mongoloids lel
>>
>>349995
africa has alot of genetic diversity. basically, those particular people migrated to asia for whatever reason, probably just had disputes with people in the old land and began to wander, and once they got to asia they began selecting people with those types of eyes. one theory is that asians decided to breed with people with those types of eyes because it looked "cute".
>>
File: axolotl.jpg (56 KB, 530x413) Image search: [Google]
axolotl.jpg
56 KB, 530x413
>>352977
There is no point, its just reaching sexual maturity while retaining more juvenile features

If tadpoles started fucking before becoming frogs that would be neoteny
>>
>>352957
it's a combination
>>
>>352970
are you stupid?
>>
>>352616
even Afro-Americans with West-African bantu look can look 'asian'
>>
>>352869
They aren't Mongoloids you idiot, not all people with epicanthic folds are Asian. He has brow ridges because he's an early member of our species. Besides, there are some Asians with big brow ridges.
>>
>>353549
He looks more senegambian judging from skull structure, not bantu. They have less pedomorphic features than the guineasids and bantu.
>>
>>355668
Most black people in the Americas aren't Bantu.
>>
>>355682
They are, theyre from west africa
>>
>>355698
Nope. Bantu people come from the very fringe of west africa to begin with.

Bantus accounted for about 25% of the slaves who came to the USA.

Your average AA is most like from Nigeria, Senegambia, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Togo/Benin, or Liberia where bantus don't exist.
>>
>>355724
I thought Bantus came from Central Africa
>>
>>355724
Bantus spread across almost all of Africa
>>
File: bantu-1.gif (42 KB, 332x375) Image search: [Google]
bantu-1.gif
42 KB, 332x375
>>355801
I'd consider them central african. But since they touch the border of eastern nigeria AND cameroon some people classify them as west african.
>>355823
Not west africa.

And the Slavs spread across most of Europe, what's your point?
>>
>>355827
>Nok culture was separate

based Nok niggas
>>
>>350193
Because everything we know is wrong.
>>
>>349995
Dust and random gene combination
>>
>>350097
fucking bravo
>>
>>350193
Because the difference between Middle Eastern and European people is nonexistent

By that I mean, northwest Eurasians are one group that does not end or begin at Gibraltar or the Bosporus. Many Europeans look more like Arabs than they look like Northern Europeans.
>>
>>350387
Native Americans are just Koreans and Siberians who moved to the Americas recently
>>
>>355668
"Bantu" in a colloquial sense refers to all Niger-Congo speakers. West African languages are often described as "Bantu B".
>>
>>355801
It's tricky.

By and large, West Africans didn't historically identify as Bantu. However, they're linguistically related to the groups that do. Because the Bantu migration happened over the span of centuries, the only people who still say "I'm a Bantu" tend to live in recent areas of settlement: Somalia and South Africa.

The Vikings didn't call themselves "Germans" but they spoke a Germanic language. So do we. Even though we aren't German.
>>
>>355801
The term Bantu comes from the Congo, but Bantu people and languages originated in Cameroon/Nigeria and spread in every direction.
>>
>>352977
Many prominent evolutionary theorists propose that neoteny has been a key feature in human evolution. Stephen Jay Gould believed that the "evolutionary story" of humans is one where we have been "retaining to adulthood the originally juvenile features of our ancestors".[23] J. B. S. Haldane mirrors Gould's hypothesis by stating a "major evolutionary trend in human beings" is "greater prolongation of childhood and retardation of maturity."[5] Delbert D. Thiessen said that "neoteny becomes more apparent as early primates evolved into later forms" and that primates have been "evolving toward flat face."[24]
>>
>>357349
This means that the next human species to evolve is going to have alien-looking babies, and adults with very flat, Khoisan or Asian looking faces, right?
>>
If you guys have time, you should watch this documentary about the Khoi-San people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1NamQj-E9I

Just ignore some of the comments on there.
>>
>>350097
FYI, q without a u after it is usually pronounced like the ch sound. The more you know.
>>
>>357296
>"Bantu" in a colloquial sense refers to all Niger-Congo speakers
It doesn't.

Most native africans will get pissed if you mix them up. And anthropologists do not call west africans bantu.
>>
>>357907
0.1/10
back to /pol/ please
>>
>>357498
Neotony has been the trend so far, doesn't mean it will continue on forever. It's impossible to predict what random mutations will happen and how they will spread, especially since environmental and sexual pressures are so different now.

I don't think Homo sapiens will exist long enough to naturally speciate. Instead we'll be too wrapped up in genetic engineering and robotics and being syncretic with our technology, we'll certainly be something else but it won't be a natural successor species of homo.
>>
>>350014
I've seen is posited that asians developed slant eyes living as a defence against snow-blindness in Siberia. That trait latter spread south as people migrated.
>>
>>357944
Did your responding to his bait make him go away?
Did it work?
Oh gosh, anon, I wish I thought of responding, too.
Every last /pol/tard would be gone by now if we all did what you did.
>>
>>358115
Did I sage, yes, did I think it would have any real effect other than potentially reducing even more autistic replies possibly
>>
>>352970
Of course. While we're at it, this song also happen to be the transcript from the first interaction between an English expedition and the inhabitants of Bongo-Bongo-Congo, a city in central Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEyDNTLlRgU
>>
>>357725
Why are the comments of every Khoisan video full of tumblrs?
>>
>>359089
I have no idea.
>>
>>359089
It's because they find out that they're the first humans, and what white people did to them.

However, they never mention what Bantus did to them either. It was an equal genocide.
>>
>>361163
Actually it was integration and assimilation or straight up dominating in agriculture.
There's a crap ton of Southern African groups with heavy Khoi in them.
>>
>>361163
If you are going >but the Bantu's point to the pygmies and marginalization/exclusion of various minority groups/castes historically to the point of absurdity.
>>
>>361163
>It's because they find out that they're the first humans,
The Khoi-San are not the first humans.

>and what white people did to them.
There is no such thing as a "White" person.
>>
I'd post the historic areas of Zanzibar city, but that was only really built in the 19th century, after the area came under Arab influence/domination as part of the Sultanate of Oman.
>>
>>361292
sorry wrong thead.
>>
>>357498

ayy lmao
>>
File: Homo_Models.jpg (70 KB, 555x678) Image search: [Google]
Homo_Models.jpg
70 KB, 555x678
>>361232
I'm not, I'm just saying that it's not always white people, even though they did do a shit ton of damage. Then again, I'm a Jamaican, so I can't really speak for an entire race of people, can I?

>>361234
>There is no such thing as a "White" person.

Or a "Black" person. And by first humans, I should have said Homo sapiens sapiens, as Omo 1 was most likely Homo sapiens idaltu or baseline Homo sapiens, and therefore older. But that's only for the Sapiens humans, as all members of the genus Homo are humans too.

>>361220
Aren't the Khoikhoi known for being a pastoral people, having cattle? I remember reading somewhere that they were generally disliked by the Bantu, who called them cattle thiefs.
>>
>>361422
*thieves
>>
>>350092
No we will not look like that in the future.
>>
>>361422
They may have been called that. But it's basically the opposite, the KhoiKhoi were/are hunter-gathers, the Bantus are the pastoral culture, with everything revolving around cattle.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.