[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we just have a basic Vietnam War thread? I am interested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: images-1.jpg (13 KB, 279x180) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
13 KB, 279x180
Can we just have a basic Vietnam War thread? I am interested and enjoy learning about it. Will contribute with facts.
>>
>>347482
>When discussing history, please reference credible source material, and provide as much supporting information as possible in your posts.

Great post-OP. Fuck off with your "generals" shit.
>>
Never posted on this board. Idk what your generals comment means
>>
File: Combined_Action_Program.png (410 KB, 648x552) Image search: [Google]
Combined_Action_Program.png
410 KB, 648x552
>>347482

The Combined Action Program was implemented by the USMC in 1965. The idea was that a relatively small unit of marines along with a unit of South Vietnamese soldiers and they would be stationed at a specific village and given the responsibility of holding that area. CAP marines would live amongst the Vietnamese and fight against communist guerillas in a way similar to how gangs in the US might fight over territory in a city. The program was considered a resounding success: CAP units were cheap to set up, had high kill ratios, and improved US/Vietnamese relations. Villages with CAP units were much more likely to view Americans as protectors rather than invaders. Of course, CAP marines also had higher than average casualty rates, but they still were more likely have a positive outlook on their experiences in Vietnam.

The program represented the kind of human intelligence that the US should have been doing on a wider scale. Had CAP been implemented on a wider basis, it could have been a much different war. Unfortunately, many higher ups did not understand the value of the program, so it was chronically under-supplied and eventually canceled altogether.
>>
>>348966
Did we ever try this in the sandbox? Seemed like it would have worked well, expecially with better intelligence using drone and other advanced air vehicles.
>>
>>349081

I think that most of these sorts of activities have been moved to Special Forces. I know that the CIA has their own team, and part of their training is that they get sent to just go live off in some third world place for a few years. Not even performing a mission, just living there with minimal help from the US. They have to get a local job to support themselves. The wars we have right now are more complicated than Vietnam. At least in Vietnam you had two distinct sides. You might not always know who was on what side but at least there were only two.
>>
File: 462.jpg (36 KB, 640x450) Image search: [Google]
462.jpg
36 KB, 640x450
IT
>>
>>349179
FUCKING
>>
>>349179

>vietnam thread

>"its a red door" starts playing
>>
>it ain't fortunate son starts playing
>>
File: amerishoots3.png (17 KB, 488x298) Image search: [Google]
amerishoots3.png
17 KB, 488x298
>>
>>349397
>no russians
>>
>>349397
So 26<24? I'm confused at what you're supposed to be inplying.
>>
>>349397
Oh man, Duke Cunningham. My former representative. Little would you know looking at this that he would move on to be of the greats in backwater corrupt politicians. At least he's out of jail now.
>>
Family friend served. Said a guy in his unit used to "fuck" (I can't describe it any better) the livers of dead gooks. They collectively decided that he wasn't coming back to the States.
>>
So, do we have any evidence that the Tet Offensive was a ploy to eliminate the VC leadership? Or is it just theories?
>>
>>350170
It is a shitty conspiracy theory based on an absence of understanding of VWP factionalism.

The Northern and Southern VWP both agreed on a "General Offensive, General Uprising" line to the point of purging Giap and his clique for being on a "General Offensive" line.

The line leading the VWP in the North and South believed that Tet would result in a general revolutionary uprising by the urban poor and buddhists.

They were horribly, horribly wrong.
>>
Scariest war of the 20th century. Being a burger having to patrol in the jungle only to get ambushed, and die from sepsis.

>it ain't me starts playing
>>
>>349179
This song was in my head as soon as I opened the thread
>>
>>353264
not just burgers, us shitposters were there too
>I was only 19 starts playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urtiyp-G6jY
>>
File: 1432324356326.jpg (105 KB, 500x640) Image search: [Google]
1432324356326.jpg
105 KB, 500x640
>>349397
>Van coc
>>
>>347482
The most interesting part of the Vietnam War was when it turned increasingly conventional from 1972 onwards, as well as the Cambodian and Laotian side-theaters.
>>
>>350152

my dads friend got drafted, survived his tour, and then when he came back his little brother who had just turned 18 got drafted and he volunteered to go back so his brother wouldnt have to.

Hes a nice guy and everything, but he cant even stand fire works now. Hes also really into flowers and growing them
>>
File: Picture1.jpg (36 KB, 782x472) Image search: [Google]
Picture1.jpg
36 KB, 782x472
>>347482

Best plane reporting in.
>>
I've got a Cambodian friend whose dad, despite being ethnically Cambodian, was drafted into the South Vietnamese army and somehow made it to America. Now he's a big Buddhist monk at some temple.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.