[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/his/ must read guide Go!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: agvKzPK_700b.jpg (105 KB, 700x699) Image search: [Google]
agvKzPK_700b.jpg
105 KB, 700x699
/his/ must read guide

Go!
>>
I've been working on a general history guide. This is my current list.

Egypt, Greece, and Rome: Civilizations of the Ancient Mediteranean, Second Edition
Penguin Historical Atlas of Ancient Greece
Oxford's Brief History of Ancient Greece
Histories of Herodotus
The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides
Anabasis by Xenophon
The Conquests of Alexander by Arrian
The New Oxford Annotated Bible
Penguin Historical Atlas of Ancient Rome
Oxford's Brief History of Ancient Rome
Ab Urbe Condita Libri by Livy
Commentary on the Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar
Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic
The Twelve Caesars by Suetonius
The Annals by Tacitus
Parallel Lives by Plutarch
>>
>>34186
>no Sallust
>no Polybius

m8

Also OP feel free to include Gibbon in your list, ignore the chucklefucks who shit on him
>>
>>33949
Thompson, Making
Engels, German Peasants War
Kuhn, Structure of Scientific Revolutions
>>
History should start with the neanthertals, then sumer and so on

everything else is rubbish
>>
>>34186
>No Decline and Fall.

What gives anon.
>>
>>34549
Its shit bud
>>
>>34549
I haven't read it yet.
>>
>>34567
It is a literary masterpiece.
>>
>>34186
am I the only one who finds Thucydides extremely difficult to get through? I don't know what it is about him, his writing style maybe?

also Catiline Conspiracy is worth adding to that list
>>
>>34692
>It is a literary masterpiece.
But it is no longer historiographically credible. If you read it, read it as a literary masterpiece along side modern texts.
>>
>>34748
It is more instructive of Britain during the 1770's than of Rome indeed, but still any reading list should include Gibbon. The Decline and Fall has cast a long shadow on the subsequent development of history in the West.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.