[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nationalism. Where did it come from, where is it now, and where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1448557191550.jpg (24 KB, 306x480) Image search: [Google]
1448557191550.jpg
24 KB, 306x480
Nationalism. Where did it come from, where is it now, and where is it going? It seems kind of outdated to me. The nation-state should give way to international states for the sake of global cooperation. It's basically a condition of globalism and globalization, isn't it?
>>
>outdated
Actually it's fairly recent still. 19th century.
>>
>>339121
That's still pretty old. Women still couldn't vote back then.
>>
>>339112
It could be argued that the very concept of a nation state emerged with the beginning of modern globalization, as an ideology to better express your own economic interest versus newfound economic rivals.
>>
>>339125
Maybe they shouldn't.
>>
>>339138
>Sexism like this
Can you at least make an argument when you're being bigoted?
>>339136
That's what I mean, isn't it in everyone's economic interest to operate internationally?
>>
>>339149
They shouldn't decide on ruling the society when they contribute jack shit to it. But if anything right to vote should be based on your tax contribution rather than just sex, I see no point in allowing poor men to vote either.
>>
File: 133143376934.png (26 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
133143376934.png
26 KB, 400x400
>>339112
>The nation-state should give way to international states
pic related

Why? Global co-operation isn't always a good thing for those residing in a certain area. There's literally nothing wrong with nationalism.
I will admit that the ethnic and cultural idea of nationalism is a bit passé when it comes to the common man, civic nationalism is still totally fair game.
>>
>>339149
>That's what I mean, isn't it in everyone's economic interest to operate internationally?
not in every sense, having a government back your interests, be it by the implicit threat of violence or by outright imperialism, can be quite useful.
>>
Until the scarcity of resources becomes a thing of the past, universal communes will remain implausible.

For now, it makes most sense to share those resources with those culturally and linguistically closest to you.

And as resources will always be scarce, the most you'll get is continentalism. Because if there's not enough shit to go around, you ain't sharing that with weirdos you have nothing in common with. The less there is, the tighter the communes, dawg.
>>
>>339112
Nigga its coming back hard
Turns out humans don't really like the idea of one world governments very much
I don't see it changing in even 100 years desu

The only way that shit works is if everyone on the planet was killed off somehow and only people left were colonists
I think you'll see mars have its own one world government before earth ever does
>>
>>339162
Why not military service or something g arbitrary like that? Don't you think that's basically oligarchy!?
>>339169
That's what I mean, they would have one government. There's just be multiple nations.
>>
>>339193
You're describing an empire.
>>
Who actually thinks like this? Internationalism has never worked.
>>
>>339193
>they would have one government
Not necessarily. And even if they did, imperialism still presupposes the existence of different nations, otherwise you wouldn't know who to subjugate.
>>
Improved infrastructure allows people to live and work and marry further from home.

Government schools get everyone learning the same language and the same culture.
>>
>>339673
Yeah but if they're all equally represented and have equal rights it isn't an empire. It would be democratic.
>>
File: 1392352449255.png (88 KB, 734x223) Image search: [Google]
1392352449255.png
88 KB, 734x223
>>339112
Why should there only be one international system when interests differ so much internationally?
>>
>>339112
Internationalism not only doesn't work, but doesn't even work, and that can be clearly seen in that anyone and everyone who ceases to feel pride for their own nation, comes to sympathize with another.
>>
>>340358
Doesn't even exist*
Fuck
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.