[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So was this guy just trying to justify the Prussian State?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8
File: Hegel.jpg (181 KB, 452x572) Image search: [Google]
Hegel.jpg
181 KB, 452x572
So was this guy just trying to justify the Prussian State?
>>
>>338835
States have no reason to exist desu
>>
File: 976.jpg (184 KB, 685x1119) Image search: [Google]
976.jpg
184 KB, 685x1119
>>338841
this!!
>>
>>338835
that's also what I thought studying him in high school.
>>
>>338835
Every German philosopher ever.
>>
>>338835
Yeah. Prussia was a Lutheran police state with 1/3 of its population being Catholics or Poles who were supressed pretty endlessly until 1848 or so. And yet it still managed to win Napoleonic wars - a dilemma for Hegel to rationalize most of is adult life.
>>
>>338864
where the fuck do they study hegel in high school lol
>>
>>339887

Probably Northern Germany.

>we wuz holy romans
>>
>>339887

>muh clausewitz
>>
File: 1436069417815.png (342 KB, 412x545) Image search: [Google]
1436069417815.png
342 KB, 412x545
>>339904
>>339906
>>
>>339887
>Muh Bismarck
>>
>>338835
He was a jingoist moron unaware of the horrors of future war.
>>
File: 1447871108178.png (445 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
1447871108178.png
445 KB, 1440x2560
>>339915
>>
File: 823962069_2091208.gif (221 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
823962069_2091208.gif
221 KB, 400x266
>>
>>338914
>And yet it still managed to win Napoleonic wars
kek
>>
>>339887
Serbia here, we had one class on him.
>>
>>339887
Italy
>>
File: 242.gif (174 KB, 282x400) Image search: [Google]
242.gif
174 KB, 282x400
in a way. I doubt he really thought it was the end all of things because his whole philosophy surrounds change
>>
>>338835
He was trying to justify modernity, which ultimately he didn't like that much, but had to conform with it.
>>
>>338835
The point is: nobody REALLY knows what hegel exactly meant. Just look at the right wing and left wing young hegelians after him; their interpretations of Hegel differed widely from each other.
>>
Why do Americans so undervalue Hegel?

He's not even loathed. He's just absolutely missing from most course listings.
>>
>>338869
>Nietzsche
>>
File: Encyclopedie_frontispice_full.jpg (1 MB, 1266x1973) Image search: [Google]
Encyclopedie_frontispice_full.jpg
1 MB, 1266x1973
>>342336
>Why do Americans so undervalue Hegel?
In former times, one sought to prove that there are no Forms -- today one indicates how the belief that there are Forms arose and how this belief acquired its weight and importance: a counter-proof that there is no Forms thereby becomes superfluous. -- When in former times one had refuted the "proofs of the existence of Forms" put forward, there always remained the doubt whether better proofs might not be adduced than those just refuted: in those days skeptics did not know how to make a clean sweep.

The man of the ages of barbarous primordial culture believed that in the dream he was getting to know a second real world: here is the origin of all metaphysics. Without the dream one would have had no occasion to divide the world into two. The dissection into soul and body is also connected with the oldest idea of the dream, likewise the postulation of a life of the soul, thus the origin of all belief in spirits, and probably also of the belief in gods. 'The dead live on, for they appear to the living in dreams': that was the conclusion one formerly drew, throughout many millennia.
>>
>>342297
>I have never read Hegel in my life.
>>
>>342591
I have, and don't imply that he's not the king of obscurantism and final tier of philosophical complexity
>>
how high does your IQ have to be to understand Hegel?
>>
File: 48d.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
48d.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>343213

High enough that you can think of your own philosophical ideas, search out a phrase or line from Hegel that supports your own idea, and then write a book claiming your own bullshit nonsense is actually older (and thus more legitimate) because its actually from Hegel.
>>
nietzsche's opinion on that matter:

the merit of hegel's philosophy is a form of pantheism which tolerates existing evil, delusion and suffering and doesnt turn them into arguments for atheism (as opposed to moralism of schopenhauer).

the powerful abused this "grandiose initiative" of german philosophy to approve their own defects.

http://www.nietzschesource.org/#eKGWB/NF-1885,2[106]
>>
Since I've already been posting some Croce today, I guess I'll save this thread:

>A complete exposition of Hegel's thought, an inward and critical exposition, should, in the first place and in chief part, be devoted to his doctrine of the nature of philosophic enquiry...

>From the Renaissance onward, there had taken place a continual enlargement of what was called experimental and mathematical science, the exact science of nature ; and science had come more and more to rule the intellect...

>It is true that when the mind of Hegel was forming, a movement of doubt and of reaction had already commenced, and... it was being made clear in several quarters of Germany that exact natural science was inadequate to attain to real reality, to the bottom of things. Philosophers like Kant, armed at all points with mathematics and with empirical knowledge, analysing the methods of the exact sciences and drawing their conclusions, proclaimed the limits of scientific knowledge, and assigned the fundamental problems to the practical reason and to aesthetic and teleological intuition...Poets, artists and men of letters, at the time of the Sturm unci Drang, felt the cold and the void of the intellectualism of the Aufkldrung; and like Goethe, they aspired to a vision of a living nature, to be revealed only to him who should contemplate it with a sympathetic soul.

>Hegel accepted this critical inheritance, and gave it vigorous expression, by establishing, as has already been mentioned, the difference between the method of philosophy and that of the mathematical and natural discipline.

Read this if you want a non-obscure or appropriating reading of Hegel:

https://archive.org/details/cu31924029044729
>>
>>345347
Ya. Hegel's not an evil wizard. He's just a romantic Francoboo.
>>
>>338835
"The 19th century Prussian state is LITERALLY God-tier." - F. Hegel
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.