[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>East Germanic languages are ddeeeeaaaadd Why the hell didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
>East Germanic languages are ddeeeeaaaadd

Why the hell didn't the Gothic languages take root in Iberia and the northern Italian peninsula? Why is an entire section of the Germanic language family gone forever? Wasn't it enough that pure Anglo Saxon English was raped by Norman latinates?
>>
Those languages sounded like shite anyway.
>>
>fat gas station attendant with a triple chin
>m muh Germanic heritage!
>>
File: 1448289042854.jpg (58 KB, 388x410) Image search: [Google]
1448289042854.jpg
58 KB, 388x410
>>338174
No fuck you
>>
>>338187
Wow nice fat shaming shitlord. You can't be interested in your ancestry beyond certain doby weight?
>>
>>338187
Does anyone even identify as gothic?
>>
>>338189
Atta unsar þu in himinam,
weihnai namo þein,
quimai þiudinassus þeins,
wairþai wilja þeins,
swe in himina jah ana airþai.

Sounds like shite indeed.
>>
>>338215
There is literally nothing wrong with your passage.
What does West Germanic accomplish that East doesn't?
>>
>>338228
Well it doesn't sound like shit for starters.

Anyway why are you obsessed with a dumb dead language?
>>
>>338245
What board do you think you're on?
>>
>>338255
Well it's not /languages/ or /autism/ so not sure what you're trying to imply.
>>
File: 1447348925495.gif (920 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1447348925495.gif
920 KB, 250x250
>>338270
>>
>>338165
>>Why the hell didn't the Gothic languages take root in Iberia and the northern Italian peninsula?
Bump this
>>
>>338165
Because Goths only made up a fraction of their population
>>
>>338297
So gothic migration to these areas from conquest wasn't enough to solidify their cultural relevancy? What of the other east Germanic languages?
>>
>>338302
Pretty much the same

There might have been some East Germanic speakers left over in what is modern day Poland and East Germany but they got swamped out by Slavs
>>
>>338321
>There might have been some East Germanic speakers left over in what is modern day Poland and East Germany but they got swamped out by Slavs
What makes you say this?

I do know that Goths survived in Crimea of all places, long after most Goths had faded away. Hitler even intended to revive the Germanic culture there, renaming the cities to their gothic names and planning a super highway to there from Berlin.
Hitler was a brand of /his/ autism.
>>
>>338292
>>338165

The answer lies in the way the roman empire broke up. In some areas(france, iberia north africa and italy) the germanic nobles essentially replaced the romans and life went on more or less normal in these areas the majority spoke vulgar latin which became the romance languages. in others the sub romans actively fought the invading germans or later arabs(Britain and North Africa) and the resistance subsequently collapsed along with the vulgar latin dialects they had and there roman influence

TL;DR if the roman population just accepted the germans as their leaders they were more or less left alone to continue as they were and romanized them

if they resisted the invasions there leaders generally got killed and their societal structures tended to collapse and the invaders became the culturally dominant forces
>>
File: Mangup_15.jpg (611 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Mangup_15.jpg
611 KB, 800x600
>>338375
Pic related, old Gothic ruins in the southern coast of Crimea, in the black sea. They simply worked with the Tatars that swept through, but eventually faded away.
A Byzantine ship supposedly crashed there, and the crew was surprised to find the natives speaking a Germanic tongue.
>>
>>338195
that sounds about right acctually
>>
>>338375
interestingly enough its thought crimean gothic as a language went extinct in 1945.

Makes you wonder if there may be some nazi documents that recorded some of the grammar, words or syntax hidden away in some archive. Knowing hitler and his hard on for germanics I can imagine he commissioned some kind of search or study into it.
>>
>>338165
Italofag here
while some toponyms here can be traced back to the Gothic invasions (I think of Godo near Ravenna) the Gothic language has become the equivalent of the english expression "Greek to me".
In italian, "parlare ostrogoto" means to not be able to communicate. "parlare arabo" is another example.
But while arab language was the most spoken language in some parts of Italy for centuries, Ostrogothic and Gothic idioms couldn't root in the common language: differently from Arabs, the Goths hadn't a bureaucracy or science that could influence the way people were speaking. In fact, in Sicilian language there are a lot of arabisms.
>>
>tfw Old English was irreparably fucked
>>
>>338165

Cause they had been roaming inside the Empire for decades, being fairly Romanized even before that.
>>
>>338892
That's really interesting, so there was a lack of ways for gothic to inject itself into Italian? If they had been more advanced, and had more to offer Italy, we might see more gothic loan words?
>>
>>338400
So it was a bit of "defeat your enemy by making them your friend"? Where Germans and Romans outright fought, like Anglo-Saxons in Britannia, Romans simply lost and were mostly eradicated (and now we speak English as opposed to some British form of vulgar Latin), but where Germans simply adopted themselves into Roman society, like Iberia and Italy you mentioned, Latin culture won out, and they speak Latin languages?
>>
>>338836
The little bit of "I must unite the Germanic peoples" wants me to see a victorious Third Reich ONLY to see what it would've meant for pan-Germanic culture. You know that if he had a magic wand he'd purify English and shit like that.

It would be crazy cool to find these documents you mention (which probably existed when you think about it).
>>
>>338195
Once you gain too much weight you leave humanity behind and become something else therefore all past relations to Homo Saipan are thereby null and void until one reaches human weight again
>>
>>339029
yes, that's my point. a lot of words from the several conquerors were injected into the italian language. Gothic couldn't succeed, maybe also because they chose to acquire cultural elements from the people they attacked
>>
File: culturalvictory.gif (152 KB, 720x362) Image search: [Google]
culturalvictory.gif
152 KB, 720x362
>>339122
Good job then, senpai
>>
>>338165

For the same reason the franks, the lombards, the burgundians, etc ended up speaking romance: they were a barbarian minority that got assimilated by the superior culture of the majority.

Also, the Visigoths ended up being romanboos and protecting the roman legacy.

The anglosaxon thing is not the norm but the exception. Mostly because Britannia wasn't much populated beforehand and because it was the least romanized and relevant province of the WRE in comparison with Hispania, Galia, Italia.
>>
How2learn ancient languages? Do I just pick up a grammar book and dictionary? I wanna read some Anglo-Saxon /lit/
>>
>>339308
my recommendation would be to learn german dutch or frisian, Modern English is rather unique in the respect it basically defies all the rules that traditional germanic languages including anglo-saxon follow
>>
>>339432
>Modern English is rather unique in the respect it basically defies all the rules that traditional germanic languages
Such as?

And are you referring to Old English when you say Anglo Saxon?
>>
>>340129
not him, but many germanic languages, especially west germanic ones (which english is), have weird word orders occasionally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V2_word_order

its grammar in general is also super simplified.
like for example, the word "can" in english is a whole verb in old english and in other germanic ones.

although I wouldn't say to learn German or Dutch before OE, because a lot of the grammar is different, or disregarded, as a lot of the surviving old english texts are poetry.
>>
>>340257
i really would like to look into how exactly these languages are separated in terms of structure.
>>
>>340129
>>340852

https://aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages
>>
>>340257
The V2 order is not "occasionally", it's ALWAYS, at least in main sentences. Only exception is yes/no-questions and imperatives. In sub-sentences it's a bit different. This is the case in the Scandinavian languages. In Norwegian we have one word that likes to appear in the second position, forcing the verb to the third, "bare", but that's the ONLY exception for main sentences that are not questions or asking people to do things.
>>
Because the east Germanics had a shit tier culture so they naturally adopted the culture of the native populace wherever they settled.
>>
>>343921
Nigga they were basically Nordic and Huns at the same time
Also dat AoEII infantry rush
Their culture was awesome
>>
>>338165
I assume that some languages are harder, and more useless to learn, some languages just fall out of favour in comparison to others.
>>
>>338165

It's probably for the best, Germanic languages sound awful.
>>
>>338165
>tfw crimean gothic survived but is kill too now
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.