[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are there so few female philosophers, if any? I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: cdn_well_l_51763_large.jpg (89 KB, 944x658) Image search: [Google]
cdn_well_l_51763_large.jpg
89 KB, 944x658
Why are there so few female philosophers, if any? I can't think of a single one.
>>
>>337689
Ayyyyn LmaoRand
>>
>>337689

Would you care to try a google search before launching on the /pol/-tier woman hate thread?
>>
Rand, de Beauvoir, Arendt, Butler and Foot come to mind.
>>
Because rape culture keep them down
>>
>>337709
>muh pol bogeyman
Great argument. Hope you'll be around because we could use you in every thread.
>>
>>337710
Must not be that good because I've only ever heard of Rand, who wasn't very original herself.
>>
>>337689
A metric fucktonne in the 20th century m8.
>>
>>337689
Reminder that Christians killed Hypatia.
>>
>>337709
Faggots like you are just as shrill as stormfags. Fuck off back to starbucks
>>
Women don't really like abstractions
>>
>>337740
I'm doing my Master's in philosophy, they're probably not too well known outside of academia, yes.
>>
As if anyone back then are going to take female philosophers seriously.

They could probably be the smartest fuckers in the world but in ancient Greece, China, Rome, Persia, Enlightenment Europe, Caliphate, at best they'll get laughed out of the room at worst they'll probably get beaten.

lot of modern female philosophers but /his/ doesn't really like modern philosopher (since they are libertarian/cultural marxists).
>>
>>337875
>Simone de Beauvoir
>not well known outside of academia
>>
For most of history, "anonymous" was a woman
>>
also no Anscombe? None of you really study philosophy do you?
>>
>>337740
Beauvoir was Sartre's wife
Arendt was Heidegger's jewish sexy mistress

and that's the only merit they have basically
>>
>>337689
Gertrude Anscombe
>>
File: 1438793766176.jpg (71 KB, 528x528) Image search: [Google]
1438793766176.jpg
71 KB, 528x528
>>337709
This!!
>>
>>337886
de Beauvoir is known as "girlfriend of Sartre" or "that feminist" at best by most people.
>>
>>337710
Remove Rand from that list and I'll wholeheartedly agree with you.
>>
>>337943
Well, she still counts as a philosopher, as shitty as that philosophy might be.
>>
>>337943

Too bad she's the most articulate and principled from that list
>>
>>337877
>modern philosophy
Modern philosophy is a joke. Maybe they'll be respected in 1000 years of they do anything noteworthy
>>
>>337689
Probably because we focus on philosophers who are relevant and made great contributions
>>
>>337877
>>337989
You mean 'contemporary' philosophy. 'Modern' philosophy goes back to Descartes
>>
>>337996
yeah that true
>>
Because up to like 100 years ago women were never in a position where they could just sit around and think all day. For a long time they weren't even taught to read or write
>>
>>337996
Stand corrected, thanks
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.