[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you have fought for your country in WW2 if there was a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9
File: 1434040024454.jpg (34 KB, 540x400) Image search: [Google]
1434040024454.jpg
34 KB, 540x400
Would you have fought for your country in WW2 if there was a choice in doing so and you wouldn't have been just forced to do it anyway?
>>
Of course I would sign up.

but then I know that the US experience in WWII was entry level babyshit compared to what all the other powers had to deal with.
>>
I have shitty eyesight familia.
>>
>>336972
Niemals
>>
>>336972
No.
>>
>>336972
nah senpai, why throw my life away to not make any difference anyway
>>
>>336972
this would vary a lot depending on people's countries

mine is finland so yes
>>
I mean, if I know what I knew now i'd tell them about hydrogen bombs, and if I didn't I really wouldn't have a choice, it'd be based on my financial situation.
>>
>>337033
But you're going to do that with your life anyway anon.

>implying you will accomplish anything in your life other than breeding
>>
>>337084
i'd rather live a happy, long meaningless life than a shitty, short meaningless life
>>
>>336972
Do I know beforehand whether my country wins or not?
>>
>>336972
Id probably still be living in Mexico and it didn't have a really big part in the war, so no.
>>
maybe if I know that it was WWII

my dad who was a major would go to WWII (he fucking hated the Iraq war because it was the complete opposite of WWII)
>>
>defend Isänmaa from Bolsheviks
>remove vodka

Sure.
>>
>>337820
>he fucking hated the Iraq war because it was the complete opposite of WWII
In what sense
>>
>>338182
>Japan actually attacked us
>Iraq was kinda sorta related to the people that attacked us

>Germany was actually keeping millions in their death camps
>lol WMD was a hoax!

>Germany and Japan were powerful and scary military powers which the allies had to struggle for years to defeat but since they surrendered unconditionally the clean up was pretty quaint (not counting the Russians)
>Iraq was a pathetic army we destroyed in a month but the clean up was in disorder and sprung a bunch of random terrorist groups

only thing really similar was the stupid amount of civilian deaths
>>
>>336972

I'd rather work on the manhattan project to be honest. Imagine working with those men, it would truly be an honor. Maybe I'd even be able to catch a commie spy and stop the soviets from getting the atomic bomb so quickly.

Otherwise I'd try my best to become Patton's personal driver and bodyguard.
>>
>>337052
kek you'd sign up to get Blown out by the soviets and then start fighting germans? if it was the winter war I'd understand but its the continuation war we're talking here.
>>
My country was overrun by Soviets in 1940.
Would get conscripted by slavs and die in Eastern Front or get conscripted by germans and die in Eastern Front/die in Gulag.

Nah, I would just build a raft and go to Sweden.
>>
>>337084
>breeding
>implying I can accomplish even that
nah f4m, it's neet and MGTOW life for me
>>
>>336972
Yes.

And 66% of American servicemen in WWII were volunteers, not draftees.
>>
>>336972

ironicaly, id be ''fighting for my country'' whichever side id chose
>>
Irish here. Well, Northern-Irish. So yeah, I would.

Mostly because it's a deep seated attitude of being the fierce underdogs throughout ireland, especially in those who identify as Irish north of the border.

Is our country great? Fucking course not but if some asshat wants to fuck it up we'll fight for it.

And fight each other because muh united ireland
>>
>>336972
I'd probably sign up for the army, because the Pacific was hell. I assume I'd be much more likely to head east and liberate French pussy.
>>
>>338260
But it was using weapons that violated the geneva convention
>>
File: 1282191249138.jpg (76 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
1282191249138.jpg
76 KB, 800x532
>>336972
Abso-fucking-lutely.
>>
>>338330
those are the same fucking thing and we barely fought the germans
>>
>>338182
5q7>>338182
In the sense that everytime you punch iraq, rhey fall to the ground on purpose and kick at you like a lil bitch
>>
>>336972
I'm just an immigrant's son so I sadly have a hard time taking a patriotic or nationalistic view on things. I wonder how beautiful it would be to truly fight for a fatherland or an ideal?
>>
Absolutely. No question. Because I believe in the American Dream and a better world. And more than anything; I believe in Freedom.
>>
>>338610
It's beautiful to fight for a fatherland but it's even more beautiful to decide to take up arms for a country that was not originally your own.
>>
>his nation didnt take advantage of the war and used it to build industries through jewing your warring neighbors
>>
Probably. Maybe if I was lucky I'd get to be the token white officer in the based as fuck Maori Battalion. At least I might be able to meet Freyberg
>>
too frail to probably even pass a fitness test. im unhealthily underweight
>>
>>336972
Not if "my country" was an Axis power, no.
>>
File: z39.jpg (64 KB, 775x519) Image search: [Google]
z39.jpg
64 KB, 775x519
>>336972
Yes, I would have joined the air force and gone to help fight nips.

Viva la patria
>>
>dying for your country

Getting REAL fuckin spooky up in here lads
>>
>>336988
Maybe if you go to the ETO, but even then that might depend on your unit.
Go to the PTO and you might see some shit.
>>
>>338534
Joining the Army could still put you in the Pacific, it wasn't all a USMC deal.
>>
>>336972
Sure, why not? I'd sign up for the chance to go operate innaEurope 1940's style.
>>
If Im fighting in Europe, hell yeah, western front post Normandy, while it sucks, isnt bad compared to the pacific.
>>
>>338534
I'm with you on this. I'm too fucking white for jungle swamp hell. Would be absolutely miserable.
>>
>>336972
I'm very close to being legally blind without glasses, so yes. Because they would either reject me or make me some kind of pencil pushing officer back home.
>>
Sure, but i'm only fighting in North Africa because fuck New Guinea (and south-east Asia in general)
>fighting in near-impenetrable Jungle
>disease, natives and Japs everywhere
>can't surrender, i'll either be beheaded or, worse, sent to a Japanese labour camp
No fun
>>
No, I'm a Chinaman, so either I'd be in America, trying to make it very clear I am not Japanese, and be busy not having civil rights, a perpetual foreigner, and worse than a nigger. But at least I don't have to sit in the back row of a bus.

>Plessy vs Ferguson
>There is a race so different from our own that we do not permit those belonging to it to become citizens of the United States. Persons belonging to it are, with few exceptions, absolutely excluded from our country. I allude to the Chinese race. But, by the statute in question, a Chinaman can ride in the same passenger coach with white citizens of the United States, while citizens of the black race in Louisiana, many of whom, perhaps, risked their lives for the preservation of the Union, who are entitled, by law, to participate in the political control of the State and nation, who are not excluded, by law or by reason of their race, from public stations of any kind, and who have all the legal rights that belong to white citizens, are yet declared to be criminals, liable to imprisonment, if they ride in a public coach occupied by citizens of the white race.

And then of course, there was Korematsu vs United States which reaffirmed Asians were subhuman and worse than niggers who at least had some rights.

If I was a Chinaman in China, I'd either be stuck with Mao or Chiang. Prospects being under either of them, not so great. Might be pressed into service by a warlord rather than being subjugated under a warlord.
>>
>>341220
When you say chinaman, do you mean ethnically or nationally? Because if you're genuinely from China, this is a whole lot of bitching, geez.
>>
>>341094
It's about securing your country's future. I'm not going let some shitty nation overrun and defeat my country.
>>
>>336972
Not even if i wasn't 4-F
>>
>>337089
This guy gets it.
>>
File: 1443821148575.png (181 KB, 501x600) Image search: [Google]
1443821148575.png
181 KB, 501x600
>TFW your country was neutral
I'd join the volunteers to help fight with Finland though
>>
>>341390
Nationally American, Chinese ancestry. Depends on what is meant by "your country". Clearly, the American government thought Japanese-American citizens' country was Japan. And both Chinese nationals and Japanese-Americans were used as cannon fodder by the allies with some of the highest mortality rates in the war. At least blacks got to fly planes and shit.

I mean, compare Tuskegee Airmen compared to the 442nd. The Tuskegees got a congressional medal under a white president. It took a black president for the 442nd to get the same. Also look at the uncelebrated sacrifices of Chinese nationals too, not just dying at the hands of the Japanese, but the shit like the largely unrecognized Chinese Labor Corps.

It was shit being Asian during WWII.
>>
No because I don't believe we had any real reason to fight. Germany would have left us alone.
>>
>>341524
That probably has a lot to do with the low numbers of Asiatic Americans. Is really shit being a barely recognized minority, and it sucks that happened.
>>
>>336972
Well I tried to volunteer for the Falklands but they wouldn't have me. My dad was a conscript in ww 2 at least he said he was, but he was in from the start. He had a bad war, very nasty, and was against any one joining voluntary. I have held that view most of my life but when the fuss starts and the call go's out you can be swept along. That's how they got my grand dad to volunteer in the ww 1 the dancing girls from the local music hall talked him in to it.
>>
>>341539
>That probably has a lot to do with the low numbers of Asiatic Americans.
You do realize this was completely intentional right?

The California (the big west coast state Chinese were likely to come through) constitution intentionally discourages as much Asian possible. It's also responsible for prohibiting integration and creating Chinatowns, in effect Chinese ghettos. Chinese railroad workers were sent back to China after being exploited.

>SEC. 4. The presence of foreigners ineligible to become citizens of the United States is declared to be dangerous to the well-being of the State, and the Legislature shall discourage their immigration by all the means within its power. Asiatic coolieism is a form of human slavery, and is forever prohibited in this State, and all contracts for coolie labor shall be void. All companies or corporations, whether formed in this country or any foreign country, for the importation of such labor, shall be subject to such penalties as the Legislature may prescribe. The Legislature shall delegate all necessary power to the incorporated cities and towns of this State for the removal of Chinese without the limits of such cities and towns, or for their location within prescribed portions of those limits, and it shall also provide the necessary legislation to prohibit the introduction into this State of Chinese after the adoption of this Constitution. This section shall be enforced by appropriate legislation.

During the lawless periods like the gold rush when law was upheld by vigilantes, it was usually minorities such as Chinese that were scapegoated without even a pretense of a fair trial, basically amounting to a lynching.

In 1882, Chinese immigrants were essentially banned from entering the United states. Japan was heavily encouraged to make the Gentleman's agreement to avoid being explicitly banned in law.
>>
I'd like to think so, but I'd probably be a huge pussy.
>>
>>341590
>>341539
There had been long standing resistance to Asian immigration. In 1917, all Asian immigration was entirely banned. The quota system set the quota of Asians at 0. It was only in 1943 under pressure from China because of WWII, the ban on Chinese immigrants was listed allowing a grand total of 105 Chinese per year, just a tiny token amount because China was a US ally. There was a ban on Philippine naturalization and immigration, with only a token quota of 100 in 1946, despite the Philippines being a US territory.
>>
Probably not. I'm not fit enough to fight.
>>
Yea, I'd be a good digger and stick it to the Japs n Germs
>FOR TOBRUK
>>
I'd hand Hitler the blueprints for stealth bombers and nukes, end the war in a week and have bitches slurping my dilz after i become a star by plagiarising future music
>>
>>341653
oh wait this is what would happen if you live in that time? fled to canada like a jew
>>
Prolly not
don't feel like dieing for the US it doesn't inspire those feelings in me. I'd go to spain to fight Falangists and immigrate to the USSR from there. then I'd fight for them in WW2 probably join the Navy so I can become Naval Infantry.
>>
>>336972
>be pasta
fuck no
>>
>>336972
>Chinese

>would you fight in WW2

I have no choice. I cannot stand by and watch my family and friends being slaughtered, raped and tortured by Japanese bandits.
>>
>>336972
Nah.
It turned out fine so me fighting wouldn't change anything.
I'd just be putting my life at risk for no reason.
Why would I do that?
>>
>>336972

Only if my nation was under threat from invasion and occupation. That or I'd GG NO RE out to some neutral country.
>>
Yes.

I would rather die for a cause than to live a pointless life full of comfort and timewasting.
>>
>>336972
No, countries are cancer.

I'd rather fight to protect the people I love rather than defend a shitty ideal.
>>
>>338545
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
>>
>>341653
>Hand Hitler blueprints requiring advanced production techniques and resources that Germany doesn't have
Nice job fag
>>
>>336988
>Anon's face when he gets sent to Peleliu
>>
File: ugh.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
ugh.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
>>343100
>>
File: 1442195152037.gif (967 KB, 490x367) Image search: [Google]
1442195152037.gif
967 KB, 490x367
>>341738
>>
>>336972
Kann man schlecht beantworten, gehen wir davon aus dass wir nicht wüssten dass Deutschland verliert?
Wenn ich es wüsste dann, Nein.
>>
>>338260
>Iraq was kinda sorta related to the people that attacked us
not even, Bin Laden had called Hussein an infidel, he had no use for a secular despot like him
>>
Of course not. I can't enjoy my free country, or anything else for that matter, if I'm dead.
>>
File: 1444363574189.jpg (620 KB, 862x590) Image search: [Google]
1444363574189.jpg
620 KB, 862x590
Yes.
This is assuming that I wouldn't get sent to the north for resource production too, eh?
>>
I'm 3rd gen Japanese American. So I'd be sitting on my ass in a camp instead.
>>
>>341590
China has a large population and was more advanced for a lot of history than other races subjugated by westerners, which did (and still does) make white people a lot more scared of them. Also, the old "stealing jobs" rhetoric goes back hundreds of years, since Chinese people were stereotyped as good workers content with poor living conditions, and being unwilling to unionize, it created contempt for them among working class white people. Not that this justifies anything you mentioned.
>>
>>343835
The middle east is all desert, and all desert people are the same, dontcha know.
arabs = arabs
north africans = arabs
kurds = arabs
west asians = arabs

Except for Israel, of course.
>>
>>344179
Plenty fought in the was as I'm sure you know.
>>
>>344024
That guy on the right has a serious "Oh god what am I doing?" look on his face.
>>
Canadian. I think overseas combat service was voluntary, although you could be drafted for home defence(?)

I'd sign up anyway, although I fucking hate the cold so I might join the British or Australian forces so I can fight in Asia or Africa instead of Europe.
>>
>>336988
The European theatre was, but the Pacific was pretty hardcore
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.