[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will the myths surrounding the middle ages die off? People
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: Blaeu_1652_-_Middelburg[1].jpg (614 KB, 2446x2001) Image search: [Google]
Blaeu_1652_-_Middelburg[1].jpg
614 KB, 2446x2001
When will the myths surrounding the middle ages die off?
People always seem to assume everybody was bathing in their own shit, as well as that the church prosecuted scientists for shits and giggles.
Technology also developed throughout the middle ages, in contrast with common belief.
>>
>>336673
it will continue so long as people keep perpetuating the myths. the only way to exterminate it is to educate people. so just keep educating people on /his/ senpai. The problem, however, is that by extinguishing the myth, you risk people jumping to the opposite conclusion, that the middle ages was an era of progress and enlightenment a la John Green. So at the end of the day, as long as the public doesn't read, which it never will, it's going to trade one myth for another.
>>
>>336673
The breakup of the Roman state into petty feudal kingdoms ment europe would survive; but with no taxation to support the sciences and education,no unwashed barbarian tribe was going to create the steam engine
>>
>>336673
Look at this board. Most people aren't greatly interested in history and people like to appear knowledgeable, so they parrot misconceptions dressed up as fact.
>>
>>336673
Americans are incapable of thinking in anything other than extremes.
>>
>>336673
When will pseudo intellectuals stop saying "The Middle Ages" and acting all smart?
You are talking about a period of a thousand years. Divide it up a bit.
>dark age
>early middle age
>high middle age
>late middle age
There we go, much more manageable. Now when people talk about "the middle ages" they mostly mean the dark ages, but with high middle ages military equipment.
And in that made up fantasy timeline scientists didnt exist outside the church, and not much technology was developing.
Also the growing cities didnt have sanitation or running water much of the time, and in places like London people were indeed shitting out of their window and into the street for much of its existence.
>>
Anyway, lets talk about an actually interesting thing that happened in the worse hours of western civilization, some time in the 6th century.
In Yemen, an arab converted into Judaism, and started killing christians. This prompted the axumite of Ethiopia to invade and conquer.
I think its one of the very few cases of africans invading and taking over other continents.
>>
well the myths go back a long way, thanks to renaissance era "historians"
>>336771
Between access to slaves and a lack of metallurgic knowledge the Romans weren't going to build a large scale steam engine any time soon either
>>
>>336673
We need better historical documentary programming.

I propose we start the drafting of a television series that details the middle ages from the fall of the roman empire to the enlightenment age where the "Dark Ages" myth was created.
>>
>>336959
If you are triggered by people living in Africa being called Africans, you might want to fuck off back to /pol/.
>>
>>336966
Not him but lumping all Africans together is unfathomably ignorant.
>>
>>336966
I was triggered by
>I think its one of the very few cases of africans invading and taking over other continents.

Hannibal didn't cross the motherfucking alps for this shit
>>
>>336966
>all africans are the exact same
funny how reddit can be more ignorant than /pol/
>>
>>336978
Hannibal wasnt african, nor did he conquer anything.
Iberia was conquered before him.

>>336977
Yet every fifth post in this board contains "europeans" or "the west".
I think its perfectly adequate to group africans together when talking about africans conquering asian kingdoms.
>>
>>336992
What the shit

Burger, cunt, spic or kraut - the difference is minor when compared to loping the jewel cities of the south Mediterranean coast and WE WUZ KING into one people
>>
>>336992
>born in carthage
>not african
>>
>>336850
No Modern historian uses the term Dark Ages, because it's a silly enlightenment era idea. Same as how enlightenment thinkers introduced the idea that medieval scholars believed the world to be flat.

The enlightenment was the worst thing to ever happen to western civilization.
>>
>>336850
>Norman Empire
>Byzantine Empire
>Holy Roman Empire
Europe managed itself fairly well even after the collapse of an empire.
Have you seen the architecture of that time? Have you seen the maps of that time?
I can't say much about the militaristic developments of that time, but I would assume they improved since Europe defeated the Islamic caliphates and drove the Muslims out of Europe.
>>
>>337229
>The enlightenment was the worst thing to ever happen to western civilization.
no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater senpai. the enlightenment made plenty of positive contributions to knowledge, in denying that your creating a caricature just as bad as the OP points out
>>
>>336673

Welcome to /his/ captain obvious.
>>
>>337512
Not him, but I'd correct him by saying that the enlightenment was perhaps one of the worst thing to happen to our grasp of history. It's just choke full of revisionism, and at times just plain making shit up. It was a trend that continued throughout the 19th century, and arguably the 20th too. Example of that was the obsession with medieval torture, with a great number of those torture instruments that were complete invention (hello iron maiden).
>>
>>337545
true, but the dark age meme started with petrarch and other italians. and torture did exist no doubt, though I know in England it was only used in the rarest instances. I can't comment on the use of torture in other parts of europe, but I guess it was the same, though i've been to several torture museums and the instruments on display were pretty horrifying
>>
>>337573
also let me add that the romantics probably did just as much to fuck up historical understanding with all their made up anecdotes on historical figures
>>
>>337576

And Positivists with >muh science
>>
>>337603
yeah i agree, combine that with scientific racism, social darwinism and anthropometrics you also have the whole idea that all other countries except the west were backwards for all eternity
>>
>>337651

inb4 /pol/ and its charts
>>
>implying the middle ages were anything but a pile of peasants laboring under nobles that bathed in shit and piss while prosecuting heretics left and right for muh religion

the only thing that developed in that hellhole of a time period was the bubonic plague
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.