[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you follow any religions at all, /his/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: 1448940976761.png (181 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1448940976761.png
181 KB, 2000x2000
Do you follow any religions at all, /his/?
>>
>>335907
I am an enlightened atheist who has outgrown such silly superstitions.
>>
>>335907
No.
>>335917
Stop falseflagging, theist.
>>
None at all.

If H,FY! was a religion I would follow it though.
>>
I'm Hindu.
>>
No, I don't believe there is a god. Organized religion is a virus on society
>>
>>336002
religion is by definition organised
you can believe in god without believing in a religion btw
>>
>>336002
I really think we should get to a point of differentiating organized religion from a personal/philosophical conviction. Atheism is as much as a virus on society as dogmatic belief. Same vicious feedback circle; with dire results.

>>335907
I'm born orthodox christian, but I am strongly opposed to what I see as arbitrary human law and belief, emposed on the concept of Infinity and Divinity.

So I believe in a Higher Being, but my relations with it and the questions about the nature of existence make me biased towards gnosticism.
>>
>>336013
I really think we should get to a point of differentiating atheism from militant atheism.
>>
>>335907
Was born in highly religious South Africa, had the fear of God put into me as a child, sang hymns every Monday and Tuesday during morning assembly, prayed every night, read a kid's bible

but around 9 years old I stopped buying into all of it, and by 11 I was an atheist. 12 - 14 I was somewhat of a militant atheist, 15+ I just stopped giving a flying fuck over what others believed and stopped having "atheist" as a defining character trait.
>>
File: Noreligion.jpg (109 KB, 960x719) Image search: [Google]
Noreligion.jpg
109 KB, 960x719
>>336002
>>336013
>Organized religion is bad
Back to r/atheism with you two.
>>
Buddhist. But not devoted.
>>
>>335907
Religion is for unenlightened plebs

I don't believe in God or the super natural whatsoever.

I think most of the religious people on this board are either just atheists that have reduced themselves to being a part of an organized religion because of percieved social benefits. (Most of which are nonsensical)

The rest are just actually stupid enough to believe in such garbage.
>>
>>336475
Nobody who actually browses this board for more than 5 minutes a day is an actual believer in any modern day monotheistic religion.

The reason there is a such a seemingly huge influx of so called religious people on 4chan lately is because they are memelords who don't want to be associated with the reddit tier fedoratheist, and I don't blame them.

The only problem is that just because some few atheists are retarded, does not make the criticisms it levies towards religion incoherent, or any less strong.
>>
>>335907
I tried being Catholic but I just couldn't do it, even after meeting and doing a personal prayer with a cardinal I couldn't get myself to be Catholic.

>>336475
Man, I hope you're not being serious.
>>
There's no way to say this without sounding like an edgelord, but religion needs to be abolished.
>>
>>336516
I am
>>
File: destroyoldworldposter.jpg (141 KB, 500x726) Image search: [Google]
destroyoldworldposter.jpg
141 KB, 500x726
>>335907
My grandparents are Daoists and Buddhists.

One of my grand-aunt and her family are diehard Chrisitans.

One of my childhood friend is a Muslim.

Fuck all those religions. They can't enslave me.
>>
>>335907
Catholic, and serious about it
>>
>>336517
I assume you mean the practice of religion? but why though? there really isn't any real reason to.
>>
>>336517
>but religion needs to be abolished.

You are just retarded and underage, not edgy.
>>
>>336002
Actually, religion sort of built society, it helped create centralized government (Which means division of labour) that our current society is so dependent upon.
>>
where's muh Zoroastrianism?
>>
Orthodox Christian
Leo IX faggots can GTFO
>>
>>335907
I only follow the one, true religion.
>>
File: obstacles-to-enlightenment.jpg (335 KB, 1240x1753) Image search: [Google]
obstacles-to-enlightenment.jpg
335 KB, 1240x1753
>>335907
Practising Pure land Buddhist here.
Namo Amida Buddha.
>>
Not really. I had my edgy teen phase where I literally wasted hundreds of hours arguing this stuff on YouTube and while I won't bother to now, I'm pretty skeptical about religion in general.
I still try to find a spiritual side to things, sometimes. It's in part because I think it's healthy for the mind to relax in those meditations sometimes and also to save face with religious family members.
>>
I am a sunni muslim from morocco (i was an atheist but now i am back )
>>
Raised Catholic, went to Catholic schools, been going to mass almost every Sunday for as long as I remember, and I participate in church life (charity, catechism, etc). I'm also engaged to a Catholic girl, who is quite serious about it.

But I just can't bring myself to have faith. People around me just believe, they know, feel that there is a God. But I just don't know if there is a God or not.

I like the social and cultural aspect of religion, the morals it can bring, and my fiancee knows about my doubts, and she's fine with it. So it's fine, but still.
>>
>>335907
Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism
Islam, don't know, don't know,
don't know, Baha'i Faith, don't know

What are the ones that I don't know?

>>335907
I'm a Christian tbqhwy
>>
>>337461
Middle right appears to be Shinto. Not sure about the others
>>
The others are Sikhism and jainism
>>
>>335907

I worship the great Lord Toji, God of Boners.
>>
>>337461
Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism
Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism
Sikhism, Bahai, Jainism

git gud fegit
>>
>>337461
It's:

Christianity Judaism Hinduism
Islam Buddhism Shinto
Sikhism Baha'i Jainism
>>
>>337461
>>337472
Christianity, Judaism, HINDUISM, Islam, BUDDHISM, SHINTOISM, SIKHISM, BAHA'I, JAINISM.

Sikhism, Baha'i, and Jainism are numerically insignificant.
>>
>>336813
Good but look into Quran alone.
http://www.quran-islam.org/articles/a_dozen_reasons_%28P1153%29.html
>>
File: jainism.jpg (31 KB, 220x373) Image search: [Google]
jainism.jpg
31 KB, 220x373
>>337554
I thought Jainism was extinct, honestly. But apparently there are still around 6 millions followers.

It's just such a completely batshit crazy religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism
>>
>>335907
>attend Lutheran private school until 6th grade (religion class every day and chapel every Wednesday)
>go to church sporadically every Sunday until around the time I left the private school as well
>pay religion no mind until college
>realize I don't believe in any of it when creating my facebook profile in college
>"agnostic">"ignostic">"atheist" in short order
>spend a lot of time arguing (relative politely) against religion on the internet for two or three years (which only started because religious people kept asking loaded questions on the Y!A astronomy board, thus luring me to learn and post about religion and the arguments against it increasingly frequently)
>have a deep pride in humanity and thus am gradually forced to recognized the pros of religion
I think humans need a means of finding meaning in life bigger than themselves, transcendence. Also during times of weakness it's sometimes useful to think there is a plan for you because that assumption motivates you to find a path to success all by yourself. I think there are means of transcendence and support during hard times that are entirely humanistic and don't come with all the irrational baggage attached to religion, but I recognize that such humanistic answers aren't as pervasive across the world as they should be so people turn to religion, and I don't hold that against anyone.
>>
>>335907

Well, let us see. . .

>raised atheist
>placed with crazy born-againers as kid, didn't go over well
>get out, study philosophy
>judaism, 7 years
>islam, 3 years
>mostly nothing though, until recently, with Orthodox Christianity

I also studied the obligatory Eastern religions of Sikhism, Shinto, and Buddhism.

So far the Eastern Orthodox win when it comes to churches and iconography. I'm also somewhat fond of the idea of living in a cave by myself in the mountains.

I haven't really believed in any of it. The most devout [fill in the blank] will do whatever the person with the gun to their kid's head says to do.

All the rest is commentary.
>>
>>337587
>Jainism completely batshit
>as opposed to monotheism

toplel, as an atheist I can confidently say that the world would be a better place if most people were Jains and not Christians, Muslims and Jews.
>>
File: 1315781068251.jpg (44 KB, 480x457) Image search: [Google]
1315781068251.jpg
44 KB, 480x457
>>335907
I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you realize why you reject all other possible gods, you'll realize why I reject yours
>>
I believe in god but I reject all religions.
>>
>>337674

At least in most monotheistic religions they allow for washing your armpits.

With Jainism you're killing bacteria, which is a no-no.
>>
File: 1448688694290.png (2 MB, 1931x1146) Image search: [Google]
1448688694290.png
2 MB, 1931x1146
>>336035
>>
>>335907
No, I've been an atheist since before I can remember.
I started reading about buddhism recently, but have found each sect has at least something I disagree with, so I think I will just take the bits that appeal to me, i.e. disillusionment of the self and critical self reflection.

It seems even the most secular buddhists schools fuck around with cosmology and metaphysics too much.
>>
>>337693
I like how you criticize Jainism by appealing to the most extreme denominator, but act like monotheism is normal contrasting it to that extreme.

This is called arguing in bad faith you know.
>>
>>337683
Thanks Ricky.
>>
>>337693
No, they don't consider bacteria in their hierarchy of life.
It goes humans, animals, insects and plants.
While you can't kill anything but plants, you just have to feel a bit sad about anything less complex than an insect.
>>
>>337695
But that's Protestants. Worse, American zionist protestants.

Never understood Christian zionists, to be honest. What's their reasoning ?
>>
>>335907
Who else /Lutheran/ here?
Missouri Synod is the only good Synod
>>
>>337695
>>337790
I mean, I would imagine that Jews who refused to recognise that Jesus was the Messiah because they couldn't believe (or just because they wanted to keep their power) and later killed him are not the "Chosen people" anymore, right ? So why would their descendants be the Chosen people ?
>>
love for God and pure consciousness
>>
>>336017

But if you did that then all the butthurt religious people would have to stop spamming their epic fedora memes whenever someone says they don't believe in god or are opposed to religion. We can't have that.
>>
>>337555
ikr but ther is a diference between "the suna" all hadits and the branche of islam "to be a sunni" ... also most of hadits were falcified or lost ., like the fact that Aicha his scnd wife was 9 ye old ... google ghe arabic traditions and u ill see that her sister was older than her with 9 ye old ... (sorry for my english ) ah and "taquia " means to lie about your religion when u are in danger ...like if a muslim told crusaders that he was christian so that thyy dont kill him
>>
>>337790
I think the existence of Israel is viewed as one of the signs of the Second Coming/Rapture/whatever. So certain types of Christians want Israel to exist to increase the chances of Jesus returning.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.