[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
East Asia since 1800
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Alright /his/. I have an argumentative paper on East Asian history since 1800 coming up. What position, from an Asian perspective should I argue?

Nothing like "The Canton system was an effective method of containment in early Chinese history" or "The response to the atomic bombs in Nagasaki and Hiroshima by the Japanese was wrong". Something with substance. Any suggestions?
>>
Mao did nothing wrong
>>
You can do the Opium War and its effect on Asian society today.

>destabalize entire empire
>make SEA into a drug dependent/making region

Current day ramifications are very harsh penalties for drug offenders (death penalties)
>>
>>334464
Was actually kind of thinking this. The prof didn't dip into it too much, and I might like to explore the actual situation at the time.
>>
>>334553

Argument has to be from an Asian perspective. What sort of thing might one phrase for that? "Despite the short term atrocities committed by the British during the opium wars, the long term effects have overall contributed to the success of China"?
>>
>>334562
This is dumb. That's like saying the annexation of Poland helped Germany's long term success.
>>
I have a cute little baby polar bear stuffed animal. He is so cuddly and soft. :3 he hugs me when I got to sleep ^_^. When is too old to have a stuffed animal? I am 22 btw
>>
>>334447
Write something about Manchukuo and its utopian "racial harmony" propaganda.
>>
>>334562
Speaking as somebody who took Chinese public school, the Opium War and the subsequent treaties are still a sore spot for national pride. You can talk about how it ignited fervor for nationalism and reforms I guess.
>>
>>334464
>>334557
Pretty sure the response I heard from chinese are "mao was x% righ and x% wrong" might be 70/30 or 60/40 or others depending on who you speak to. This is the national answer.
>>
>>334582
And I am not even joking I love him so much with his little nose cuuuuute :3
>>
>>334447
The Meiji Restoration was a social and political disaster
>>
>>334580
I would say it has.

They're closing the borders in the wake of the terrorism/immigration crisis, rather than be overtaken like they were in between the world wars.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.