[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did last names came to be? Are there any cultures without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Gauled.jpg (636 KB, 1032x1400) Image search: [Google]
Gauled.jpg
636 KB, 1032x1400
When did last names came to be? Are there any cultures without last names? IIRC Atatürk made a reform where everyone in Turkey had to get a last name. Was there any country where they had some other identification structure or none at all?
>>
>inb4 that one anon complains that the .com ruins the image
>>
>>324359
Well in East Asia, they are first names.
>>
What exactly do you mean by last name? Are you including references such as x from y and/or z son of y? If you don't include the latter then Island is a prime example of an existing country which does not uses last names.
>>
>>324359

Icelanders still use patronomycs instead of surnames.
>>
Native Americans. i.e Pocahontas

Ancient Greeks were known as single name. Plato, Socrates, Epicurus, etc
>>
File: 1420647857694.jpg (66 KB, 337x369) Image search: [Google]
1420647857694.jpg
66 KB, 337x369
>>324635
>>324693
>tfw same name as father

Redundant as fuck.
>>
>>324755

Patronomycs are formed taking the fathers name and adding some particle that explains the relation.
Where do you think that surnames such as Johnson or Jackson come from?
>>
Here it naturally came with the demographic growth, when once in a village there was only one person with a certain name, there started to be one, two or even more, and so people started to use last names to differenciate them.

The last names were usually related to a way to distinct a person or a family, like "Dubois" which means "from the wood", or "Dupont" which means "from the bridge" ; these two are related to places but they could also be related to the type of work people did, like "Boulanger" for example, which litteraly means baker.
>>
>>324773
I knew that, I was actually talking about myself. Good thing I don't live in Iceland.
>>
>>324359
It depends. Formal surnames are a pretty young thing.

Bynames, and geographical and/or kinship "surnames" are old as fuck.
>>
>>324784
>not wanting to be Jack J. Jackson
>>
>>324796
There are people in my country who name their kids the equivalent of John John so why not.
>>
Dutch folklore says that last names came when Napoleon imposed them. Apparently, everyone thought it was a dumb idea that wouldn't stick, so when people were signing up for last names, a bunch of people chose names that were nonsensical or outright jokes. This explains why so many Dutch people have last names like "Jumps in the field," "Born naked," or "From nowhere."

Apparently no one can agree on how true that story is.
>>
>>324781
In france there's also a lot of surnames that came from the given name of an ancestor, like the most common of all our surnames, Martin. It's so common because saint martin was popular, so it was given to a lot of people, and the sons of those people ended up being named things like jacques (son of) martin.
My own surname is like that : Pierrot.
>>
>>324359
Surnames are quite recent in a lot of the world, but it depends on the culture.
> Are there any cultures without last names?
There are loads. My girlfriend is from South Asia (not pooland), her mother is in her 40s and has no surname, just a single first name. It's really weird. My girlfriend has a normal surname, but that isn't going back a long time, it's the first name of her grandfather, her parents decided to give her it because surnames were becoming important.

In Scandi countries they always used the system of the surname being the first name of your father, but ended in son or daughter. "Willson" "Willsdottir".

In Arabia they have the same system as Scandinavia but have traditonally gone to extreme lengths, where your name is basically your entire fucking geneology. Such as
>Abū al-Qāsim Muḥammad ibn ʿAbd Allāh ibn ʿAbd al-Muṭṭalib ibn Hāshim
Bear in mind Ibn means son of.
>>
The painting in your OP does not depict the Gauls, it depicts the aftermath of a battle in the time before the Roman Republic. Rome went to war with a neighboring Italian kingdom and got their shit shoved in, and Rome was sacked.

Can't remember the name of the king in question or the people, but I do remember the name of your painting is "Woe to the Vanquished", as this event was where the saying comes from.
>>
>>324359
I think those are goths, not gauls.
>>
>>325266
Yes it does retard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Allia
>>
>>324359
Patronyms did exist in old times, I'm not sure about actual surnames(family names), i think they only existed for relevant elite families but i could be wrong.
>>
>>325273

Nope, those are Gauls. It's a painting depicting Brennus' sack of Rome in 390 BC.
>>
>>325266

>In 391 BC, Celts "who had their homes beyond the Alps, streamed through the passes in great strength and seized the territory that lay between the Appennine mountains and the Alps" according to Diodorus Siculus. The Roman army was routed in the battle of Allia, and Rome was sacked in 390 BC by the Senones.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senones
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Allia
>The Battle of the Allia was fought between the Senones, one of the Gallic tribes which had invaded northern Italy) and the Romans. It was fought at the confluence of the rivers Tiber and Allia, eleven Roman miles north of Rome. The Romans were routed and subsequently the Senones sacked Rome. The commonly date given for the battle is 390 BC. This is based on the account of the battle by the Roman historian Livy (Titus Livius) and the Varronian Chronology, a Roman dating system. Following the ancient Greek historian Polybius, who used a Greek dating system, instead, yields 387/6 BC.
>>
>>324781
>or "Dupont" which means "from the bridge"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Dupont_de_l'%C3%89tang

This dude is literally called "stone from the bridge over the pond"
>>
>>325285
>>325299
well fuck me, I guess they were Gauls.
>>
>>325299
>>325291
>>325285
I didn't know that gauls invaded italy and the balkans, i guess now i realize why the romans hated the gauls more than anything and wanted to destroy them.
>>
>>325266
dude dont talk shit its brennus
>>
>>325273
>>325266
>>325303
>>325306
#gauled
>>
>>325306

related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWVgQYN37yk
>>
>>325306
They sacked Rome and became an everlasting memory in the Roman minds. Rome built walls straight after
>>
>>325316
lel yeah that's the fist thing that came to my mind.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.